PDA

View Full Version : Gliding

cm75577
25th Jan 2006, 11:24
Hey Guys and Girls,
I am going for my gliding license this year with cadets and was wondering if anyone had any tips they could share with me. I really want to dux this course and get to fly in a RAAF PC-9 haha that would be great:D Thanks alot
From Paul

george bridson
25th Jan 2006, 20:18
I see you live in God's own gliding territory, I'm jealous already.
My tips are, in no particular order:-

on your first winch launch resist the temptation to scream for the first 900' (you can be heard from the ground & it distracts the Instructor):E
always obey the Instructor
always make time to remind the power guys that one day they too could become glider pilots, not necessarily by choice
every minute spent gliding is a joy, go & have fun.Off to the watering hole now for a pint of Bushy's Manx Oyster Stout.

pbloore
26th Jan 2006, 12:44
Remember to use your feet!. Most power pilots waffle all over the sky because they've been able to ignore adverse yaw. Having 20m wings makes a huge difference.

Also if you're not a taildragger pilot remember to flare!

And - before the landing goes to a pile of :mad: then remember that you can't open the throttle and do a go-around!

Most of all though - enjoy the experience and the sense of freedom.

robin
26th Jan 2006, 13:17
As you are going to learn through the 'cadets', I take it you don't have much power experience

What you will learn is appreciation of angles - where you can get to at best glide for a landing and that will serve you well later and, hopefully, stop you getting low and slow in the final turn

Secondly, given the new glass toys, you will need to learn the importance of monitoring your speed.

You will certainly learn a lot about stalling and spinning - much more than in powered flight.

My other advice is that gliding is very different from power in that you are on the filed in the open helping others when you are not flying. You WILL get cold and damp so dress up well.

Finally, gliding is also different from power in that unless someone helps you, you are stuck on the ground. In order for you to fly, you need their help, so get involved with other people. If you don't you will get a poor reputation and find it difficult later.