PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS uprade to Pacific Basemap cost?

rjtjrt
25th Jan 2006, 09:09
Looks like cheapish GPS296 available in US. I understand Garmin discourage changing basemap to Pacific with a hefty cost. Can someone tell me what the availability of upgade, cost and how hard to install?

Squawk7700
25th Jan 2006, 10:57
Aside from a second hand 296, there's really no such thing as a "cheap" Garmin 296. Garmin are somewhat guilty of price fixing and if a dealer is caught discounting more than the norm they will lose their dealership.

If you import one you won't get the 2 year warranty, plus you'll have to pay for the basemap upgrade.

If you're importing a new one, take the price and multiply it by 1.4, then add $50 - $70 and 10% for customs duties, plus insurance on the freight.

I guess it's discounted because of the release of the 396, however a 295 US is currently around $1,500 (www.sportys.com/pilotshop/garmin.cfm), so around $2,200 - $2,300... not including the southern maps, so you'd potentially be better off buying one here. I know that www.mcp.com.au have them and www.aerohop.com.au have got them cheap too. The guys that don't stock them have them cheapest as they get them in based on the current exchange.

Certainly a fantastic GPS to own and use. Lots of people around are using them for pseudo IFR.