PDA

View Full Version : Who sells heliboxes?

compressor stall
25th Jan 2006, 08:55
Does anyone have any contact details for companies selling heli boxes (both large and small).

Thanks in advance,

CS

Arm out the window
25th Jan 2006, 09:31
Greetings CS, we used heli and maxi-boxes on Caribous and I imagine it would be possible to track down the supplier(s). PM me if you'd like me to pursue that avenue.
Cheers!

Desert Duck
25th Jan 2006, 09:50
CS
AusSAR should be able to give you a phone number of their SARstore in Brisbane - or their supplier.

Pass-A-Frozo
25th Jan 2006, 09:51
Still in use on Hercs too. Although I dare say that if you are going to someone who supplies defence they probably cost $5000 each :E

tipsy2
25th Jan 2006, 10:01
My alter ego joined AMTDU in late '68 as they were finishing the design and testing of the helibox. They were made from a template, and constructed with cardboard, honeycomb board and 500lb cord. Each box was 'manufactured' individually as required.

Roll forward nearly 40 years and the helibox may be manufactured by a supplier (to civil users) and I do know that some are now made of plastic corrugated board instead of paper based 'cardboard'.

If AusSar can't help, try 176 Air Despatch or AMTDU at RAAF Richmond.

tipsy

Pass-A-Frozo
25th Jan 2006, 10:07
Or the Command SARO at Air Command. He manages stuff like that. From memory, it's (02)4737 7050 .. if that's wrong, ask the dude who answers on (02)4737 7222 . Oh, and put a fake noise complaint in after it :E . oh or even better, tell them you know about the UFO conspiracy and you demand to know the truth...

RatsoreA
25th Jan 2006, 11:02
CS...

Ahhh Heliboxes...

That takes me back to the days of my posting at 176ADSQN... Which reminds again, it's been ages since I have had alchohol poisening... :E

But I digress... They are QUITE expensive to purchase (if you can convince the supplier to sell them to you...), but are dead easy to build yourself with strong enough cardboard (Moving boxes are best) A sharp knife, fibreglass tape and 500lb cord. PM me if you want the plans... Or if you have deep pockets and a burning desire to pay through the nose, I will give you a phone number. I am no longer posted to 176, but still keep in touch with the boys. (Going flying out west with them this weekend in fact! :) )

compressor stall
26th Jan 2006, 08:41
Thanks to all who replied. PM's sent to AOTW and RatsoreA.