PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPSMAP96 advice

me705709
25th Jan 2006, 02:07
Hi guys

I've just bought a garmin gpsmap96 but am having problems with loading VRP's, which dont seem to be included in the loaded aviation db.

I tried to use the bundled trip & waypoint manager but this only seems capable of manually adding single entries and has no upload facility that will allow me to import the CAA VRP list.

I tried using the POI loader for our i3 from the car but this did not recognise the device.

Anyone know of a fix for loading these points?
Many thanks
Mark

dwshimoda
25th Jan 2006, 06:25
Mark,

The only way I found was to create a waypoint, using the lat & long from the CAA 1:500,000 map. This is quite useful, but can be a pain in the ar5e if you need to create lot's of waypoints.

DW

me705709
25th Jan 2006, 13:59
Hey DW, thanks for the reply

It certainly is a pain in the ar5e...

The CAA kindly publishes the lat/long of VRPs in spreadsheet format (csv) at http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=64&pagetype=90&pageid=4937.

Its really daft that Garmin produce a POI loader for point of interest for automotive data, but have neither loader s/w or any other mechanism to achieve the same for an aviation device like the gpsmap96.

Mark

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2006, 14:13
Have a look here. (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17238)

Someone has done all the hard work for you ;)

me705709
25th Jan 2006, 14:38
dublinpilot - thanks very much for the tip

sadly, my version of trip & waypoint says it is incompatible and requires gdb files version 1.0 or less

back to the drawing board...

dwshimoda
25th Jan 2006, 15:22
Same for me. Seems to suggest it's okay with the 296 series, etc, but that now it uses a subsequent version.

Thanks for the spreadsheet link though me - save s me unfolding my map and getting the ruler out everytime!

DW

me705709
25th Jan 2006, 15:33
dwshimoda, if you keep going throught the thread they are there in mps format which T&WM seems to accept

I wish I'd known the limitation of this device & db before I'd bought it - I thought Garmin were supposed to be quality devices but the db especially seems barely up to the job of VFR usage.

dwshimoda
25th Jan 2006, 18:02
I quite like mine. True, I've found the same frustrations, but after spending a few flights following the magenta line, I'm back to proper VFR flying, using the GPS purely as a backup / reassurance when flying close to CTA.

Now I've got to grips with what it can and can't do, I find it a very accomplished unit, and certainly a lot better now I've got an external aerial for it!

I'll keep trawling for those links. Thanks for the tip.

DW.

dwshimoda
25th Jan 2006, 18:23
And Dublin Pilot - thanks for the link - very useful :ok:

DW

dublinpilot
25th Jan 2006, 22:45
You're welcome:ok: