PDA

View Full Version : Manchester

stue
24th Jan 2006, 19:26
I thought that I would post this to help any further pilots wanting to go into Manchester. When I was looking for info, I found some but nothing really substantial. It was probably just that I was looking with my eyes closed!:p

Anyway, I decided that I wanted to get Manchester airport in my log book. I’m going off to do my ATPL’s in Feb and it was something that I wanted to do before I went.
I decided to take an instructor from my local flying school at Blackpool, he goes but the name of Flyingforfun. So, I read in the VFR flight guide that you need a handling agent. I phoned the number and was put through to “Manchester School of Flying.” They were very helpful and within a 3min phone call I had my slots booked in a C172 for Friday the 20th at 12:15. Really nice people, if you are planning on going in, give them a call. (0161 432 2222.) But you need to ring in plenty of time, I phoned them on the Wednesday before. Rite, that’s that bit sorted out.

So Friday comes, I get up to Blackpool and find out that we are going in a different a/c. No problem, still a C172 but G-BJWW (old faithful!) So I phone Manchester school of flying again just to make sure that everything is ok (don’t want to turn up and them say “Errr?? Golf Bravo who??”) and, sure enough it all is. Now, it is quite expensive, £52.88, but if its just a one off, its worth it. The nice lady on the end of the phone tells me that I have to ask for the “light aircraft hold” when I get down and a car will be there to pick us up and the fact that they are using 24R. So I get a bit of a plan together for the low level route, get a few frequencies and photocopy the map from the VFR guide. The AFE flight guide has a good map of all the taxiways which is essential for when you get down. It’s worse than the centre of Manchester at rush-hour!:p
We get airborne a little late but that’s no problem because we have a good tale wind and will make good time, hopefully! We leave Blackpool tower frequency and get a MATZ crossing form Warton, straight over Southport and before we knew it we are over sunny sunny Wigan. We thank and leave Warton and have a good listen into the Mcr arrival ATIS. (Two different frequencies, one for departures and one for arrivals.) Once we have got the jist of what was going on we give Mcr App a call (on their new frequency) 135.00. Pass all the details on as usual but make it known that we are inbound to them for a VFR arrival. The controller was very nice and told us to report approaching Congleton VRP, just to the south of the CTR. I wont bore you with the specifics of the entry/exit procedures but if you are going in then just make sure that you know what to do. All the info can be found in the VFR flight guide. We get to Congleton, are given a clearance to enter the zone and to hold at Hilltop, a VRP just to the side of Woodford. We orbit there for a few minutes and then our told that we are number 3 to a Lufthansa A320. (Cool! Big grin on my face!:} ) We see him pop out of the clouds at about 8miles out and just to make sure that it’s the correct a/c we check with the controller. Sure enough, it is, and we start quite a big left base for 24R trying to keep the 5mile separation limit because of his wake vortices. We realise that we are a little close so we get the flaps down and set old faithful up for the standard decent. 70Kts, turn and call finals and given a clearance to land. (cool, I’m actually going to land at Manchester!) We get to about 2miles out and hear another a/c (cant remember what type) on an 8mile final. Then at 6miles. It felt like we had only moved a couple of yards so we decide to get the flaps up and speed up a bit. However no such luck, we are told to break off and return to Hilltop and orbit for a bit longer. Oh well, at least it was a good Photo opportunity.:p We get back to Hilltop and carry on orbiting. We are told that we where now Number 4 to a 146 which was about 10 miles away. We complete another orbit and see him, tell the controller that we have him on visual and will remain 5miles away because of the vortices. So, we start our base leg again, bugger the flaps this time, and turn and report finals. This time, we know the deal, as fast as old faithful will go, she gives us. We did the decent to the numbers at around 100Kts and passed the numbers at around 90Kts, letting the speed bleed away in the longest flare that I have ever done! Beauty! Down she is! What a smile I had on my face!:} It was soon wiped off with the controller telling us to exit via KC then left down taxiway B and first left into the a/c Hold. :eek: “****! Which exit was that? Rite that was F, get the map out, we have just passed D, it’s the next one!” a quick speedy right and we our on KC. We can see the a/c hold and make our way there. We are marshalled in by one of the chaps from MSF, (I need to re-learn those marshalling signals!:ugh: ) park up, shut down and put the chocks in. Step out of the a/c and see a 757 land, how good is that?!:} We are greeted by 3 chaps from the MSF and are driven to the school to pay.

It was only a short trip because FFF needed to get back for his lesson at 14:00 so not even time for a brew! :( Oh well! We get back into the car and are driven back to old faithful where its time to get a few good photos to prove to my mates that I have been!

We get in, start up, and give Mcr Del a call. They pass us on to Mcr Gnd and we are given clearance via B, K, to K1 to do our power checks. Its pretty good taxiing in and around bigger stuff, makes you realise just how small you actually are! We get our checks done and are told to hold abeam stand 46 (I think.) A DeHavilland Dash 8 started in front of us and we followed it to hold a JA1. We had heard the horror stories of waiting to get away for hours so as soon as the dash8 had gone we let the controller know we were ready for an immediate departure, so we are told to line up and wait after the landing light a/c. There is something a bit funny sat on 24R at Manchester in old faithful waiting for a clearance to take off. A good feeling though!:ok: Finally we start the roll and are airborne and turning south over the threshold of 24L. We head back towards Macclesfield and our told that we can make an early turn to the west to get back into the low level route to head back to home. We get a few good photos of Jodrell Bank on the way past and are back in Blackpool 15mins late for FFF’s lesson. Oh well, sorry!:O

I have to say that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. To anyone out there who is thinking about going in to Manchester, give it a go, it is very good! The ATC are fantastic and will get you in at anyplace that they can. I really take my hat off to them! Don’t mess them about, do as your told and don’t hold them up and they will do anything for you. I don’t think that they would like a surge of light a/c in there but they sure did make me feel a lot more relaxed. Thank you very much!

For a trip in there you need to do everything very though and be very prepared for what to expect, like frequency changes. Have them all on your knee board and know which one you will be going to next, App to Twr to Gnd etc. Put the next frequency in stand by position in you radio if you can. I was glad that I took an instructor in there for the first time but I would feel perfectly happy about going in there on my own now. Make sure that you know the deal with the entry and exit procedures into the CTR, they are in the flight guides. But most of all, enjoy it. Its not everyday that you will fly into a place like that as a PPL.

Just want to say a big thank you to all who dealt with me on Friday!

Cheers!

Stu:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2006, 20:30
Glad you enjoyed it!

I used to fly a Manch based 172 years ago, when things were only slightly different. Took our Chippy in a while ago - got the new runway in me log book (24L departure). That was a 'free' day, when unusual aeroplanes were invited in to clebrate 100 years of flight. :ok:

I'm surprised they gave you a join at Congleton, since you were coming from the north. Why not Barton - Sale Water Park?

Also, I could see what was coming with your first approach off Hilltop. :) They will expect you to slot in between the heavies - but you were right to be concerned about wake turbulence - it's a killer. However, you can avoid it by flying a profile that keeps you above the flight path of the heavy, and not touching down until you are past the heavy's touchdown point.

I can still remember a now long retired Manch controller saying "Your traffic's a Trident on a 4 mile final, TS. Nip in behind him". Often used to fly close-in RH downwing for 24 over the northern carparks in those days, continuous base-to-final turn over the terminals as the preceding airliner vacated with the next on 3 mile final, to touch down well up the runway for a rapid fantail turn off for the south side.

Those were the days!

SSD

Squadgy
24th Jan 2006, 20:45
I'm surprised they gave you a join at Congleton, since you were coming from the north. Why not Barton - Sale Water Park?

Good post Stue, it's good isn't it?!

There used to be an Entry/Exit VRP at Swinton Interchange. This routing took you Swinton - Sale Water Park - Right base 24. Since the introduction of 24L/06R to Go-Around procedure off 24R involves traffic making a right turn towards that routing climbing to 3000ft. If any traffic is operating in this area traffic arriving at Manchester has to be given non-standard go-around instructions, which I think means traffic departing off 24L can't be launched without co-ordination with the 24R controller, (I'm sure a Manchester ATCO can expalin in more detail).
If things are quiet then traffic does sometimes route in this way, (I flew down as far as Sale Water Park at weekend), - however it isn't a published route, (Swinton was retained as a VRP at Barton's request - it's no longer marked as E/E on the charts). If you're going to enter the Barton ATZ though a call to Barton Information on 122.7 is essential.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2006, 21:21
Thanks for that, Squadgy. The other logical entry point we used to use from the north was Stretton for Rostherne Mere for possible hold at the mere. I guess that's gone as well these days?

SSD

Squadgy
24th Jan 2006, 21:26
Thanks for that, Squadgy. The other logical entry point we used to use from the north was Stretton for Rostherne Mere for possible hold at the mere. I guess that's gone as well these days?
SSD

Still in use I beleive, but only for 06 ops at Manchester....

Spiney Norman
25th Jan 2006, 12:48
Stue.
Well done! Glad you enjoyed the visit. You're right. The better you've planned the trip the more we like it! (From an ATC point of view). For other visitors we have some web briefs which are well hidden on the CAA website. Here's a link.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/Flying%20in%20the%20Manchester%20CTR_2005.pdf

I'm afraid traffic levels and our local procedures mean VFR visitors are almost certain to be asked to follow the standard inbound routes which mean. 24R in use via Congleton 06L/06R via Stretton.
regarding SSD's point about Swinton entry. Squadgy is right that procedures mean that the go-around would be compromised by traffic on that route when 24R is in use and we would be required to operate our dual runways in 'dependent mode' whilst you're inbound. This would mean...Issue of non-standard go-around instructions to all affected inbounds...increase of final approach spacing to a minimum of 5 miles......No departures from a point that a landing aircraft is within 2nm from touchdown until it has landed. As you can see this bangs up the workload, reduces the movement rate, and thus can generate holding. We've also got a brief to cover operations through the Low level route which can be found on the Barton website or here..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/Manchester%20Low%20Level%20Route_2005.pdf

By the way. I see that the CAA haven't yet incorporated our update on the briefs to include the frequency change to 135.0 but it should be imminent.

Spiney

FlyingForFun
25th Jan 2006, 13:08
Nice write-up, Stue!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity of getting EGCC into my logbook, it was a great experience, and I know you enjoyed it at least as much as me.

I would like to echo the comments which others have already made - don't be afraid, but do be well prepared. Take someone else there with you to help out if the workload gets a bit high (doesn't have to be an instructor, but you can be sure of getting good support from an instructor).

When Stue told me he wanted to go to Manchester and take me with, I told him that was fine - he would do all the planning, and I would just sit there next to him. He did an absolutely fantastic job of arranging and planning everything, so that I literally just sat there for pretty much the whole of the flight, enjoying the view and taking photos.

The only area where he (we) wasn't quite well enough prepared for was after landing. When ATC told us to exit at KC, we looked at each other, neither of us having the faintest idea where KC was. That's when having two people will help - I let Stue slow us down to taxy speed, while I got out the airfield diagram, then figured out where we were, and how far we had to go. My advice for anyone else who wants to visit is to have an idea of the taxy route you might be expected to take beforehand, and have the airfield diagram somewhere easilly accessible immediately after landing. (The same could be said for any land-away at an airfield you don't know, but the bigger the airfield the more important it is.)

One final thanks to Manchester ATC - I'm sure you've got more important things to do than make gaps for C172s so that us private pilots can get a thrill from being in a big airport, buy you took it in your stride and gave us a great service and a great experience. :ok:

FFF
-------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Jan 2006, 13:52
I occasionally work as a guide on Manch's Concorde (G-BOAC). I was in the P2 seat on Sunday, between flight-deck visitors and idly gazing out the window, when I saw a Tomahawk approach from the Hilltop direction and land on 24L (heavies landing 24R).

Is that usual?

SSD

Spiney Norman
25th Jan 2006, 14:00
SSD.
It's a special procedure for Manchester based pilots and MSF aircraft to expedite their arrival during dual runway ops. Only available for individually briefed and based pilots I'm afraid. You may well see light aircraft land on 06L when 06R is the landing runway, (also flying an off set final).

Spiney.

MikeJ
25th Jan 2006, 14:31
Lovely story. But I fear that light aircraft are going to be more and more sqeezed out of even relatively small provincial airports now that Eazy and Ryanair are using them, if light aircraft want 5 miles behind at start of approach and then fly at 100Kts, let alone a 70kts normal.

If you want popularity, then, as a previous poster said, cut in tight, but at a steep light aircraft slope of not less than 5 degrees, to a touch down point beyond its nose down point (not the mains) of the heavy ahead.

You wont feel any wake, nor give much delay to anything else coming. The last time I did this was at Exeter, behind a 757, known for high wake vortex. I was on very short final as he turned off at the far end, and it was sublimely smooth.

Mike.

Established Localiser
25th Jan 2006, 17:55
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VADhAngZliVwN0kShE72sKRJXS7DzkLmps6Z75OWUSokBDMjX
I flew about 25 hours in and out of Manchester & loved every minute!!
Fantastic feeling turning final to all the lights !!

http://groups.msn.com/AerialPhotosHolidayPhotos/flying1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=183

EL;)

stue
25th Jan 2006, 18:59
Cheers all for your comments!

MikeJ,
Yeah we soon cottoned on that if we were going to get down at all then we needed to do a nice steep fast app. It was good fun, I’v never been over the numbers at around 100Kts in a 172 before! :p

Cheers Spiney Norman. We had no Problem with the Congleton entry into the zone, we were expecting it. On our way out we were told that we could make an early turn west anyway back to Blackpool so that helped us out too.

As FFF says, I’m quite sure that you guys have better things to be doing than letting us trundle around on your airfield but it was a great experience! I learned an awful lot too, and I hope that the write up will help any other people going in to Manchester to be that little bit more prepared to make it all run smoothly.

Thats a good photo EL, i made sure that i got some good ones to! (well, FFF was the official photographer!:p)

Thanks once again!:ok:

Stu

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Jan 2006, 19:32
Heres a little sequence taken by my mate in back seat as I flew our Chippy in a couple of years ago....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/Picture024.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/Picture025.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/Picture026.jpg

SSD

stue
26th Jan 2006, 18:20
SSD,
Nice mate, very nice!
Its a good photo of the 747, bet the aircrew had a good view of your chippy landing:p

CDH
26th Jan 2006, 19:22
Nice write up Stue.
Sooo jealous, I wouldn't mind EGCC in my logbook too :cool:

Something for me to think/dream about for later this year.
Good luck with the ATPL's...:ok:
CH

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Jan 2006, 08:41
Cheers Stu.

Actually, I think that Virgin skipper was cursing us! Here's one as we turned final. Note the traffic crossing 24R to and from 24L.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/Picture021.jpg

Spiney - and Squadgy. Thanks for the explanation of the 24R go-around being compromised if there is Swinton - Sale Water Park (SWP) VFR traffic. However, I'm confused as to why this shold be a problem.

Barton o'head join height is 1800ft QFE, and there will be traffic flying at this level from the north to join. Surely, any traffic entering the Manch zone Swinton to SWP at not above 1500 QNH will be less of a problem to 24R go-arounds than is the always-present Barton joiners?

In other words, why would VFR traffic on a Swinton - SWP be any more of a problem to 24R go-arounds than ia the presence of the BTN overhead?

Just curios. :)

Spiney Norman
27th Jan 2006, 10:54
SSD.
When joining in the Barton overhead at 1800ft you are outside the Manchester CTR, and in Class G airspace. Therefore, all traffic in the Barton Local Flying Area can operate without reference to EGCC Approach.
Initially, (and I'm only refering to westerly ops here),as you enter Class D airspace towards Sale Water Park we would be putting into action co-ordination for the latter part of the flight which will enter a 4nm radius of EGCC which is airspace delegated to the Air Arrivals controller. The purpose of the 4nm zone is to protect aircraft in the event of a go-around. As you orbit at Sale Water Park you are just outside the 4nm zone but we would want to establish the go-around protection before you enter the go-around area, and, it might be that if you're orbiting a little wider than normal, that you still enter it.
The standard missed approach from 24R will require any aircraft within 4nm flying to 0 dme, (the runway TD point), then executing a right turn onto 360 degrees, (pretty much directly towards Sale Water Park). Climbing to 3500ft.
So....If you're still with me....... We must make sure this doesn't happen by issuing a non-standard go-around to each aircraft flying the 24R ILS whilst you're holding at Sale water Park....The non-standard GA is almost always climb straight ahead to 3500ft.......All the time this is going on the departures are launching off 24L/R...Some will be making a right turn out, in fact most do initially to follow the noise preferential routeings.....See the confliction?...Thus we go 'dependent' ops which means we increase approach spacing to 5nm or more....and departures cannot be cleared for take-off when a landing aircraft is within 2nm from touchdown until such time that it is firmly on the runway. Here you can see how the movement rate can be severely affected.
You've probably lost the will to live after that so I'd recommend a break for tea/coffee but I hope it explains why Sale water Park is only an option in very light traffic. And those days are getting very few and far between!
Spiney

Squadgy
27th Jan 2006, 13:08
In other words, why would VFR traffic on a Swinton - SWP be any more of a problem to 24R go-arounds than ia the presence of the BTN overhead?
Just curios. :)

Just to add slightly to Spiney's answer - on occasion Barton traffic will cause a problem to 24R traffic at Manchester, this is of course is when Barton are conducting aerobatics in the overhead and an extra 1000ft of airspace above the Barton ATZ is delegated to Barton Information. The standard Go-around procedure at Manchester assumes that traffic in the Barton ATZ will be below 2000ft, so when Barton is operating to to 3000ft then Manchester will also apply the non standard procedure.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Jan 2006, 13:16
Thanks Spiney and Squadgy. That makes it perfectly clear. The problem I was having is I'd no idea the 24R go-around was commenced at 0 DME. While I am aware that most 24L departures make a right turn to follow the SID, I'd assumed the 24R go-arounds would commence somewhere between 0 DME and the 06L numbers (in the event of a very late go-around - say, off a Cat 3 appraoch, I guess some do!).

Thanks for the info - very interesting.

SSD

Spiney Norman
27th Jan 2006, 13:19
Squadgy.
You're correct. I left out the Barton Aerobatic procedure to try and make the post a bit more digestable! When you're active with the aerobatic procedure we also make all SID's which could be affected. (24L/R DESIG. POL. On 06L WAL NOKIN MONTY). Subject to a departure release with Man APP and apply a non-standard departure if required. The aerobatic procedure also requires us to stop all 'early right turn' departures when on 24R/L. This is the reason we have the time slot limitation on the aerobatics.
Re the co-ordination required to manage a departure release....It goes like this. Air departures ring Approach requesting release....Approach issue non-standard departure clearance if required.....Approach ring the appropriate Area sector and inform them of the NSD applied. That's just the telephone work you don't hear on the frequency. This string would apply to all relevent SID's individually. Needless to say all the standard phone calls and RTF are still going on as normal.
Spiney.

slim_slag
27th Jan 2006, 15:11
Well stue, sounds like you had a good time and that's what counts. You appear to be gushing with praise for ATC. Sounds like you agreed to pay the fees for going to Manchester, did everything asked of you, if anything were going too fast on final, were actually cleared to land, but then you still got sent around and the plane behind you got to land first. Did you ask why there was a loss of separation? Could be something to learn there.

stue
27th Jan 2006, 17:01
Slim Slag,
Yes, the ATC were very good. It wasn’t as complex and as daunting as I thought it would be. The landing fee was quite a lot, but its only a one off and I like the look of it in my log book, I’m sad I know!:p

There was quite a strong headwind when we landed so our ground speed was quite slow and we were getting a bit dizzy to! So on the 2nd attempt we decided to just increase the finals speed to get down and out of the way with as little disruption as possible. Obviously its very hard to fly a standard base/finals app trying to fit in to faster traffic so we just wanted to fit in so the a/c behind us wouldn’t catch us up.

I learned a lot that day, and here too reading about the go around procedures, so I’m glad that as a low hours PPL I got the guts to actually do it (although I did take an instructor just in case!)

Cheers!

Cat.S
29th Jan 2006, 14:12
Hi Stu,
Glad to see you made it. Did you try the GPS?

Aussie Andy
30th Jan 2006, 17:37
I am inspired! Thanks for this thread, I would never have thought of a trip to Manchester, so now I think I will pay Manchester School of Flying (www.msf-aviation.com) a visit in March/April together with a budding young pilot (solo at 16) who will enjoy this as much as I will!!

Thanks again!

Andy :)

stue
30th Jan 2006, 18:36
Im glad that it inspired Aussie! Give it a go, and dont forget your camera!:ok:

Deadside
1st Feb 2006, 15:08
Now u have done EGCC why not come and do EGCB:\ like you keep saying your gonna lol! Glad you enjoyed it mate :) :ok:

machlimter99
1st Feb 2006, 20:11
Not been that far north yet, but Manchester is a good one to get into your logbook. Stue did you log that one as P1????

stue
2nd Feb 2006, 19:15
Deadside, i will, i will! jeezz, your like my mum!:p I may have a drive up this weekend, you workin? (my sister is moving house, i want to keep as far away as possible!:ok: )

machlimter99,

No, unfortunately i was out of currency and so had to take an instructor up with me for a flight anyway. It would have been nice for it to be P1 but not to be, oh well! I got some good photos though, that makes up for it. :} It does look nice in your log book though!:}

jabberwok
2nd Feb 2006, 20:21
Well done Stue - Manchester's a nice airfield although, as with all too many big airports, it is getting a bit more difficult and expensive to get in to.
Your next challenge, should you decide to accept, is:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/EGLL3.jpg
Handling mandatory and around 600 quid. :eek:

stue
3rd Feb 2006, 17:02
You pay for it mate!;)

PAMCC
5th Feb 2006, 14:21
Thanks Stu and the rest of you. You've brought back happy memories of flying from Manchester. Many years ago (in the early 80s) I used to own a share in a light a/c (an AA1B) that lived in the hanger on the 'South Side', so as young(ish) PPL holder, EGCC was my flying base. Even though I flew in and out of there on a weekly basis, it was always a big thrill. Manchester ATC have always been a friendly bunch. I had the opportunity to work there myself for a short while. It's good to hear that they still welcome private flyers on VFR flights and find the time to fit them in with all the commercial flights.