PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining an ARN

pilotezulu
24th Jan 2006, 07:35
Hi guys,

Wonder if you folks could help me out regarding how to obtain an ARN online? I can't seem to find anything on the CASA website. All I found was Form 1162 for the application of an ARN. Is there a way to do it online or must I do it via snail mail?

Also, I just got my Class 1 medical in South Africa, through a CASA AME ... is there anything else I may need if I am going to be flying in Oz in the near future? I hear I need an ASIC card or something for security clearance, etc?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

pilotezulu

Oz Vegemite
24th Jan 2006, 08:29
HI
No good news for you I am afraid, you cannot apply for your ARN on-line, as if you look closely at the form you need to attach a copy of any document which clearly shows your name. You can fax it in, but don't expect a fast response.
The second piece of good news is that you can't do you Medical without your ARN, as they are now done on-line, and finally your medical will now cost you $130!
You will need to go through all the security checks and ASIC application (form 639). And this is taking forever to come through. You will not be able to fly solo in Australia without having completed the security checks.
Full of good news aren't I !
Good luck
Oz V

pilotezulu
24th Jan 2006, 10:22
Hey Oz V,

Thanks for the info. My DAME said he would just send in the medical papers in for me, and I may apply for the ARN simultaneously...guess he figured I could get both about the same time so they could match my medical with the new ARN I am given. Yeah, did pay the AU$130. Shish.

So getting the ASIC card is a big deal eh? Well, I probably should apply now if I am planning to be in Oz later on this year. It is possible to get the ASIC card from abroad right?

Thanks again,

pilotezulu

zepthiir
24th Jan 2006, 12:27
just a side note, you dont NEED an ASIC but you do need to do the security checks and get an AVID to fly legally in australia now, you only need an ASIC if you plan to fly in or out of a security controlled airport and hence need access to the secure parts of such an airport.

However, considering the checks are the same and the cost isnt much difference between the two it would probably be easier in the long run to just get the ASIC anyway, at least that way you are covered wherever you want to go.

I am sure you would be able to apply for the ASIC by fax, the only requirement is that the copies of the ID you send will have to have the originals sighted and signed off by a CASA delegate, if you can find one of those where you are (your DAME perhaps?) then you should be fine.

Zepth

Oz Vegemite
25th Jan 2006, 21:46
You can apply for the ASIC or AVID (but much easier in the long run to do the ASIC straight up) from overseas. But it can't be submitted by fax, the form must be mailed to CASA. The only people approved to sign it off overseas are basically the DAME's and also the Australian Embassy staff. Your only hitch is that neither of these can sign off the question (I think it is Q10) on your ability to speak English, this must be signed only be a CFI or CASA). But you can submit all the forms, get the security clearances etc started and then when you arrive in Australia have a CFI sign off the last bit for you.
I suggest attaching a letter with the application stating that this is what you intend to do, that way by the time you arrive, it is all completed bar the last bit and that can be done quite quickly.
Now you can join the long queue with the rest of us...
Oz V

pilotezulu
26th Jan 2006, 06:52
thanks Oz V. Something I should probably apply for now, so by the time I move to Oz mid-year ... I hopefully should have my ASIC card.

So how many months/weeks is this backed up for? Gosh, I'd hate to be grounded for weeks after I arrive.

pilotezulu
26th Jan 2006, 19:22
well... hopefully someone will read this... see i posted the last few... but I had another question.

Since I will be coming in from overseas with a PPL, hence will have to do a validation/conversion if I want to get my CPL in Oz... must I apply for a Student License along with the application for the ASIC card? I know that doesn't make any sense, since I've obviously tossed away my student license since I'm licensed now.

Maybe someone can assist me? Perhaps I'm just overthinking how simple it is. Pilots. Engineers. iiish. This is what engineering school does.:confused:

Biggles_in_Oz
26th Jan 2006, 22:37
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/transfer.htm has licensing transfer info.

As for the ASIC, CASA recently revealed that they have 25000 applications.
The queues for the AFP and ASIO checks already have applications for the upcomming commonwealth games plus the farmers plus the mariners.
I don't expect to get my ASIC before the amnesty expires on 31-Mar-06. :{