PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement to all wanabe pilots

AerocatS2A
24th Jan 2006, 03:40
I have been flying for over ten years and have had a fantastic time, I would never have changed a thing. My first job was giving aerobatic joyrides in a Pitts Special. After that I got into flying a Tiger Moth, and even an AT6 Harvard. I've had the opportunity to fly all sorts of unusual aircraft but have now settled down into a multi turbine IFR job.

Everyone I knew who was learning to fly at the same time I was, and who stuck with the training (i.e., they didn't give up half way through because "it's too hard", or "I won't get a job"), got a job quite quickly. One of the guys I was learning with initially flew Tiger Moths and a Stearman on his first job, he then went on to flying a DC3, and last I heard was flying in an airline in the UK.

All of my other friends in aviation have had successful careers also.

Yes it is hard at times.

Yes it can take a while to get the first job.

Yes it can be depressing looking at the ratio of unemployed pilots to jobs available.

But, if you persevere you will get there.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is just trying to scare the competition into pulling out of the game, don't fall for it.

powdermonkey
24th Jan 2006, 05:46
Much better!!!:ok:

FlyUK
24th Jan 2006, 07:38
I would like to second that....

...I had a call yesterday to say that I was in (to a big airline) and am over the moon. As has been said before, yes it is hard work, but you have to keep at it! DO NOT GIVE UP, it will happen eventually. :ok:

Jonty
24th Jan 2006, 07:49
I would third that....

I would add another piece of advice and that is the importance of a positive mental attitude!

It comes across at interview like nothing else.

Kerropi
24th Jan 2006, 07:57
SIGH :\

All I got are rejections rejections and rejections...:sad:

But the glass is still half FULL :rolleyes:

K.

FlyUK
24th Jan 2006, 08:07
Put it in a smaller glass and the glass will then be FULL...

ps, interview question - 'Do you see the glass as half empty or half full'

Me - 'The glass is too big for the job.' Got me a smile anyway. :}

jamielatham
24th Jan 2006, 08:10
Hello

I would like to say that i am just on the road to becoming an airline pilot, and there is going to be challenging times ahead of me, but i think that is whats good about becoming a pilot, the toughness of the course seperates it from being a normal job, and once you get there you can look back and feel proud of yourself for achieving it...i cant wait till i feel that moment!

Thanks

Jay

Mr Man
24th Jan 2006, 08:29
What a nice change to see a positive,selfless thread...........

AerocatS2A
24th Jan 2006, 09:02
Hello
I would like to say that i am just on the road to becoming an airline pilot, and there is going to be challenging times ahead of me, but i think that is whats good about becoming a pilot, the toughness of the course seperates it from being a normal job, and once you get there you can look back and feel proud of yourself for achieving it...i cant wait till i feel that moment!
Thanks
Jay

The trick is, I think, to take a moment out every now and then, and be proud of what you have achieved so far. Even if you haven't fulfilled your primary goal yet.

I see a lot of people who are in such a rush to get to their airline job, that they forget to relax and enjoy journey.

jerezflyer
24th Jan 2006, 09:19
Thanks, I needed that!

As a 36 y/o PPL who will be embarking soon on the journey to become a professional pilot..................

jerezflyer

menikos
24th Jan 2006, 09:59
Keep going guys,

on my 37 and don't care about people saying, too old, too much unemployment, no major airline for you, I don't care I just a wanna be a pilot and I will do my best to achieve my goal so once again let's go for it.

Another thing flying doesn't mean only for a big airline we can enjoy a lot of job as a pilot : ) because I can hear around me people who swears only with big airlines not my case I just want to fell myself above the earth : )

Hope the best for all of you.

Cheers.

Send Clowns
24th Jan 2006, 10:22
FlyUK

Some flying organisations "Half-way to the next beer" might work! :ooh:

Menikos

I agree. I am another who has just got a job - this is the type of job I wanted, flying a small aircraft rather than an airliner.

Justin Ryan
24th Jan 2006, 10:31
I am the same. I have got my PPL and am in my last year of uni. Gonna start further training as soon as I finish uni. The way I see it, people who are dead set on going straight into an airline and can't imagine themselves doing any other form of flying are the people who have looked through the careers book and have not been attracted by the thought of flying but they have been attracted by the average pay of a 747 captain!

FlyUK
24th Jan 2006, 10:32
Send Clowns

or 'I see it as a reminder to get the next round in'... Like you say, only some flying organisations though! :rolleyes:

stue
24th Jan 2006, 10:55
At last, something +ve! Not that all the -ve would ever put me off but its always nice to hear some words of encouragement for once!

It doesnt matter if your flying 747's or if your instructing on C150's the thing is, your flying and thats all that matters. Then, you get paid for it too! Great!

Keep +ve and you will get what you want!

Good luck!:ok:

FFP
24th Jan 2006, 11:59
There are positives out there.

You can get a job as a FO flying long haul, with no flying experience, actually being trained to get your rating, with a wide choice of destination. No debt, food and accomodation included at a very small price, uniform paid for and 30 days a year leave (which doesn't include weekends)

See www.rafcareers.com :ok:

hingey
24th Jan 2006, 16:36
Justin Ryan/ Stue

Couldn't agree more.

Will shortly be embarking on that long road, and know it will be tough (only 60 hours under my belt) but I am determined. I will fly anything anywhere for anybody (all within legitimate reason of course) and will not be put off by PFO's from the airlines. If I'm destined to instruct on light aircraft all my life so be it, but if Mr Atlantic wants me to fly half way round the world in a shiny A380 I'll be all too pleased to accept.

There are jobs out there for everyone. I know somebody who's just been put in the flybe hold pool, another has gone to fly bizjets, another is starting out instructing. No matter how many failures the Spacemen and A320 riders know, we know more success stories!

Stay at it, keep the +ve attitude and success stories coming, and see you in the skies!

h