PDA

View Full Version : 2nd warning to all wanabees pilots

A320rider
23rd Jan 2006, 15:33
Hello Everyone,
First, English is not my first language; please excuse me for my mistakes.
I would like to warn you about this aviation training, many of my friends have not found any flying job even years after they have finished their training.
I estimate the number of unemployed pilots at 10’000 for Europe, in a good year, EU needs 2000-3000 new pilots (per year).View the number of new pilots coming on this market every year, rate of unemployment will stay the same or will increase in the future.
Just look at the number of student sitting for the ATPL exams in UK, 100 a month, maybe 150?
In France, by example, most airlines have filed bankrupt( unscrupulous people stole the company money). In Italy, Alitalia can be out anytime. I don’t speak about Spain and Portugal who have a higher rate of unemployed pilots. Germany and Austria are not better. The worse would be a terrorist attack like the 9/11.
Recently I have met 2 ex-pilots (furloughed). They have changed their profession and became police officers. They told me with a family and 2 kids, it was too hard and very expensive to continue in this aviation market.
In England, I have met a controller working in a tower on a small airfield .He told me after his license, he applied as a controller. They did not give him the choice. He was out of cash, and didn’t find any flying job. After 3 year training, he has now a well paid job.
In Germany, I know a radar controller. Same thing happen to him. After his training as a radar controller, he did his CPL, MCC, and after a few months looking for a job, went back in front of his screen. He was married, had debts to pay (for 10 years) and he was forced to give up aviation too. Now he is over 40years old, and with 200h, he knows nobody will call him…
I know a flight instructor, who worked for 4 years in a flight school. He made 700-800 US dollars/month, and after being married and 3000 hours in his logbook plus a baby, quit his flight instructor job and now works as a computer Technician.
I know a girl, was a flight instructor for a year. After her school filed bankrupt, she did not find an airline job or a new flight instructor job. She works now as a secretary for a hospital.
I know some other guys, who for the same reason (bad paid, no real future) quit their little aviation job. The majority of them have quit right after their commercial licenses. Some of them, got a job in aviation for 1-2 years as a flight instructor, and quit too.
Flight instructor jobs don’t pay very well, and airlines are not interested by single engine experience anyway.
On 10 friends or more I personally know, only one has got a job for a national airline.
After his training, he paid a company to work for free during 2 years(very rich and no kids), and then he paid a second type rating, and finally got hired. He told me he has paid over 250’000 euro with no job guaranty.
These are good examples of how bad the situation is: if you find a job, you don’t make enough money, if you do not find a job; you have to do something else. If you pay for a type rating, and pay to work, there is no guaranty you will be employed as it seems many of pilots are ready to pay to work.it is a vicious circle!
I am not telling you to give up, but I am telling you it would be better for you to secure a job before to invest a fortune in this aviation training.Many of us have sent 500-1000 CV with no positive answer. Sending CV is totally useless, believe me, it is much better to visit the company of your dream and talk to a HR’ guy.
What make me really laugh, is students telling me they have found schools’ advertisings with a logo from BA, or Air France, or whatever , and think, if they go in this school, they will secure him a job at BA.I do not talk about schools who says: ”interview guaranteed”, this is simply a farce.
Anyway, I do not think the situation will improve in the next 5 years, and if you have the money, go for it if this is what you are dreaming of. But please, don’t sell your house or your grand mother, and don’t think you will pay back your loan by getting an airline job after your training, or even after a flight instructor job (a flight instructor rating is very expensive).
I have called some airlines and asked them how many application they have received during year 2005. They told me between 3000-5000.One guy told me, he spends lot of time to select pilots and he was sorry how bad the situation is(he was himself an expilot) .He told me to secure a job before paying for a training.
Majority of people I know, have stopped dreaming, they have now to pay back their debts, so what is the point to start a training if it is to finish with a useless license, fully in debt and no “real”hours? Do you think airlines are interested by a pilot with no real jet experience? What they want is captains with over 500-1000 hours on the aircraft. And even with this, nothing is guaranteed .
About the 2-3 chaps on this forum, who will tell you they have found an airline job right after their CPL, good for them, but how many have failed? How much money are you ready to risk for a flying job?
People don’t like to read bad experience, but you have to know the truth of this real market.I am not trying to discourage you or to eliminate competition( I do not need, this market is already screwed since long time ago), but please, be very careful with your money, talk to your friends, to your parents, dont take any risk.Have a good “backup”, and be ready to do something else if you don’t find any employment.

good luck!

moo
23rd Jan 2006, 15:54
well aint you a barrel of laughs..............:rolleyes:

as your first thread got locked I will do everyone the favour of letting them read it here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207281

Most of us are aware of all your points A320 rider, you seem to think it is breaking news??!

TJF97
23rd Jan 2006, 15:58
I bet your a right laugh on a night out!!!!!;)

boogie-nicey
23rd Jan 2006, 15:58
Yeah I know alot of people too:)

stue
23rd Jan 2006, 16:06
To be honest, I didnt even bother to read it all. We all know the deal when i comes to geting a job at the end of whichever training that you decide to do. Thank you very much for your concern but please stop boring us all with bad news.

(dont mean to be rude, but....)
:rolleyes:

mcgoo
23rd Jan 2006, 16:13
have you ever made a positive post???

jerezflyer
23rd Jan 2006, 16:16
The situation is indeed difficult. I understand there are aprox. 4000 qualified professional pilots unemployed in Spain alone. I know people who have a frozen ATPL, sick of waiting for any sort of airline/public transport/cargo or flying job with a decent salary (or at least to survivie on) have ended up working in other jobs (sometimes aviation related but not flying). I also knew a professional pilot who decided to take a degree after qualifying.

There are plenty of cases out there, but I think becoming a professional pilot and actually flying for a living requires alot of dedication and determination to succeed, even then it is by no means guaranteed.

Perhaps the way to go for those of us with other qualifications/careers is to enjoy private flying with a PPL and eventually with experience get a CPL/FI and become a flying instructor part time at weekends.

jerezflyer

cloudz
23rd Jan 2006, 16:20
You know alot of people...

These are the harsh realities, which most of us im sure are already aware!

Would this stop any of us off wanting to live our dreams of flying??

Not a chance!!

:ok:

stue
23rd Jan 2006, 16:24
Here here Cloudz!

markflyer6580
23rd Jan 2006, 17:14
Maybe you have not got a job yet because you are a bad pilot A320:confused:

If you want to see how its done,sit with the birds at the runway edge who like to watch me grease it on:E

Now cheer up and get out the industry and off this site you miserable c:mad:

Then there will be 1 less person to compete with,not that it would be much of a competition you understand:}

Air Polygamy
23rd Jan 2006, 17:20
I seeeee depressing people .... :uhoh:

WingDown
23rd Jan 2006, 19:05
As Moo put it well, this is hardly 'breaking news'.

I am most certainly a 'wannabe' and have my eyes open to what to expect when I complete my training. It is not going to be easy - I know that - but I have also seen many people succeed, not due to an integrated course or the like, but due to rugged determination and hard work. Seeing this is a major factor in encouraging me to go for it, knowing that hard work is well rewarded. I appreciate you may be trying to provide a 'realistic view' of the industry but this is clearly not a balanced view.

WD

airlinepilot1960
23rd Jan 2006, 19:14
A320 there are drugs you can take to ward off this depression you are in. I suggest you go and get some and spare us from your self imposed misery.

Why dont you forget about aviation and get a job in another industry, I dont think aviation is your thing .

rons22
23rd Jan 2006, 19:25
A320rider -> Power + Attitude = Performance

poonta
23rd Jan 2006, 20:47
Well, i have to say that if one forces his ass out and realy wants a job, one will get it. It is not mission impossible. One should always follow ones dreams!!! If not, get dissapointed when sitting in the wheelchair and be angry because you did not follow your dream! If you realy live for flight, than thats it your dream would eventually come true, even though there is a way of hard work before. I get realy sad on people who tells someone that "It is impossible", Well it isn't.

Well, hope u guys understand my crappy English.... :)

Good luck to all future pilots in getting their dream job!

lookingup
23rd Jan 2006, 21:26
well said rons 22
this is what we all need ATTITUDE and PERFORMANCE
hopefully will lead to our goal of a flying job and to be paid to do what we love
cheers

beeniemac
23rd Jan 2006, 22:16
Jesus mate, go ask the Doc for some Prozac!

SJG1
23rd Jan 2006, 23:50
Take a long hard look at yourself. Would you really employ someone with such a negative attitude?

I'm one of those wanabee pilots, currently in a secure non-aviation job, willing to take that risk WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

Now go and bury your head in the sand and let the rest of the world pass you by.

Send Clowns
24th Jan 2006, 02:02
So my new job is imaginary, eh? Funny they should have started my training, costs a lot of money for a practical joke! And the 4 interviews a friend of mine had, with 3 job offers? Or the people I know that are flying jets and turbo-props, they are not really working? People who have gone out and worked at getting jobs, who have the personality the employers want.

For the right people the jobs are out there. I know many people who I personally trained in ATPL theory or who I knew as flight instructors who are flying from light aircraft through turboprops, light jets, 737s and even one who flies a 747 as his first job. They were never offered on a plate. These guys worked at it, and accepted the tough times to get where they wanted to be.

The market is so strong there are no longer enough instructors out there. This time it has got so bad some are even being offered good pay - in salaried positions!

The number of misrepresentations and misunderstandings of the industry given in A320's posts suggests either he is a troll, or he is lying to try and reduce the competition or most likely that he knows nothing about the industry. Secure a job before training? Ridiculous, impossible, no pilot would suggest that for a self-sponsored pilot (except for type rating, which was not implied). Britain needs 3000 pilots a year, not the whole EU! A decent-sized airline with only 5000 CVs in a year? If that is all then the situation must be more critical than I thought - it suggests we need a lot more pilots. Why use a US case example? The markets are completely separate, and the US is in a much worse state. It is true that BA is an unlikely first-time employer,a nd that schools do overhype their cahnces of getting students interviewed. However if you want a job with BA and are not sponsored, forget it: if you want to fly, why on Earth choose to go straight into BA? If you want a good career, why go for aviation, when accountancy is cheaper and easier to get into, with as much earning potential. A320: if as your name suggests you want to fly an Airbus of all things then you are sadly deluded. Don't do it. This game is only worth it if you like flying, and going straight onto A320s is not the way to enjoy aviation!

Where does A320 think the pilots time on type come from to be captains? Do they appear from nowhere, or are they sitting about unemployed. As far as I can see, when they get the position their previous job needs filling, by someone coming up from a smaller airline or large GA operator, who then takes on the people newly-qualified or who have been instructing for a while. Some of the jet operators will take new pilots straight to fill the gaps left as their FOs are promoted or leave to fill these captains' vacancies.

That's how it works.

A320 sneers all the time, and claims there are no jobs. He sounds like one of those who didn't have his heart in it, didn't want to put in the effort my friends have made. He has had his mistakes pointed out before, so now if he repeats them he is lying, as he knows they are false.

Jonty
24th Jan 2006, 07:55
Guys, I got a job in 2001 sitting in the right hand seat of a B757 with only 200 hours total time and about 30 multi!

IT CAN BE DONE! Hang in there and keep smiling, no-one want to employ a miserable git and it does show at interview!

stefair
24th Jan 2006, 10:01
A320rider,
HA HA! What a laugh! You're amusing indeed! Ha ha... :{ It's so funny that I can't hold back the tears...
I apologize for being politically incorrect, but I assume it's your German background that you're showing such an aweful negative attitude. Let me tell you one thing, son, I want to become a pilot and I am going to become a pilot, wherever and whatever it takes! As long as I can make a living with flying I will be happy. And I know I'm going to get a job with this attitude because it's the right attitude.
Of course it's a rough and bumpy way 'til you get to where people pay you money for your flying, but that's how a career in aviation looks like. If it's too much for you, too bad. Go whine somewhere else!
Do you really think you can make other wannabes stop pursuing their dreams by writing those kind of posts? Ha ha! A320rider, either you're totally disillusioned or just some weirdo, who doesn't know what to do with his time...

stue
24th Jan 2006, 10:59
Do you think that A320 has got the picture that we are not all so negative about flying as he is?? as stated many times, perhaps thats why you arnt employed?

B200Drvr
24th Jan 2006, 11:51
Once again it is important to point out to A320 that if you EXPECT to get into a shiney jet with a couple of hundred hours and a type rating because you paid for it yourself and people/ airlines owe it to you, you are so sadlly missinformed. Sure it does happen but it is an exception to the rule. Most airlines want experience of some degree. The jobs are out there to get the experience if you look hard enough.
What I think you should be saying A320 is that lots of people cant find airline jobs paying 6 figure salaries with low time and no experience. Chances are most of you are going to have to fly something else before you get into a BIG SHINEY JET, and if you think you are not, then you are on the path to dissappointment. Learning to fly is a big financial commitment, but to think you will get that money back within a year of spending it is unrealistic.
My advice is to look harder, look further, and dont quit or get negative, you become your own worst enemy.
GOOD LUCK

PaddyMcGinty
24th Jan 2006, 12:41
LOL and you wonder why you dont get a job???? If i was an employer of any sorts I wouldnt be employing anyone with an attitude like that, and if you have any mates the reason they dont have a job is probably because they hang around with you too much! The reason most PPruners will get jobs is becuase we know we will and we are not bothered by stupid posts like this. Do you think that after everything we have worked for and everything we have done that we will be demoralised by a post like this? Actually the fact is its great to see guys with your attitude looking for jobs because you are one of those 10,000 and we know you wont get a job which leaves more opportunities for us. Thanks.

PMG

strafer
24th Jan 2006, 13:00
For those of you who haven't been on pprune for a long time - A320rider used to be called Hulk (amongst many others) and has been trolling these boards for years. My favourite was when he gave a big spiel about what a great airline pilot he was, then the next day asked a Met question in wannabees.

For some reason, your responses are what feeds him. I suspect a long lack of female 'company' may be a contributing factor.

BTW, Send Clowns, he also claimed to be a Bristol GS student 3 years ago!

Send Clowns
24th Jan 2006, 15:14
And I must confess I didn't work that hard to get my job. I trundled along building hours as an instructor, got myself some multi-engine IFR time (required for single-pilot work) and fell into a job. OK so it took some effort, but not a huge amount. What got me the job was being around aviation so picking up the contacts (it turned out 3 of my contacts have been useful to the company since I was offered the job), getting on well with those people, and my attitude, willingness to fly the aircraft someone needs flown, when it needs to be flown!

From this I could have had work in any one of 3 different companies.

Strafer

So he is thinking of starting it all again then! Or not - lucky for us he seems to have got depressed about the idea, eh?

too_sleepy
24th Jan 2006, 15:28
Hi

There will never be full employment in any industry. I work in IT and over the past few years most of my friends have been out of work at one time or another. I also know people that rarely work, they know their stuff but they're just not employable. That's life.
If you didn't know it would be difficult to get a job and that there's a chance you'll never get a job you're too naive to be flying.

RVR800
25th Jan 2006, 07:56
Its nice to see a balanced debate :eek:

A320rider
26th Jan 2006, 14:07
apparently, we have the new wanabee, who still think they will get a call with 200h , and the guys with more experience, who know how hard the situation is.
plenty of jobs? where, everythere I look, they ask at least 500 multi jet.this job is reserved for people having lot of money and who are paying to work.
please, stop to dream!
amazing!, in 2 days:1600 viewers.I really wonder why you read my post!!!???where do you find the time, to be on pprune and in same time fly your jet?;)

RVR800
26th Jan 2006, 15:56
A320rider - Did you complete your Type Rating? (A320) - I need an A320 pilot to clean chauffeur me around and cook wash dishes etc in return I will assess you for a future 777 rating if the deal comes off pay me £3000 for an initial assesment you need to be quick othewise youll be too late..:)

A320rider
26th Jan 2006, 16:51
yes, I am rated with microsoft(the cheapest type rating in England).My dad owns a company and we take only guys with 3000h on type.
if you need a job with us, contact eagle jet.I need some $ to buy fuel, so I can make some touch and go this week end.:p

ifleeplanes
26th Jan 2006, 17:36
Funny you should say that....I do have 3000 hours (plus actualy, and all jet) on type. Would I want a job with you sat next to me in RHS...nope dont think so. Keep to FS little boy....hit pause and go get some milk.

stue
26th Jan 2006, 18:36
Mate,
"the new wanabee," knows how hard it is to get a job.
We just are abit more positive than you. :rolleyes: