PDA

View Full Version : Out of the loop

Aviatah
23rd Jan 2006, 03:48
I was abou to start pilot training at my local flight school, however due to family problems, uni I didnt get to it.

So far I've got my Student Pilot License on that little white card type thing with my photo and ARN etc on it.

My medical is on friday they said 180. But now I read + 130 on here due to fees. THey didnt mention this at all.

ALso, ASIC cards? Do I need to apply for one of these two? I just want to have this stuff done so I can start flying as soon as Ireceive my fundage.

Regards,
Aviatah

Ando1Bar
23rd Jan 2006, 10:28
Check your colour photo licence - if it says 'aviation identification' on part II of the licence it means you can fly as pilot in command (i.e. go solo). This is known as an AVID. If you have this AVID you're in good shape - if not you need to upgrade your student licence to one. Speak to your chief pilot (they should be a CASA delegate) or CASA themselves about upgrading to the AVID. However, if you are under 18 you do not need an AVID to fly as pilot in command.

Regarding the medical, I am unsure about how much the extra 'processing' fee is, but I know there is one on top of what your medical examiner will charge. If no one around here knows, call CASA to find out. Next, get your medical ASAP. There is a delay in issuing these at the moment as well and you'll need a medical certificate to go solo.

If you don't have your AVID and medical certificate you cannot go solo, which will slow your training down. Allow at least 3 months for these, so get the paperwork signed ASAP.

Finally, you asked about an ASIC. You only need an ASIC if you are going to be going into security controlled airports. If the airport you fly at is security controlled, get one quickly (you'll need this to walk around controlled areas by yourself). If you are an airport that is not security controlled, you do not need an ASIC until at least your PPL training (when you will be visiting such airports).

To confuse things more, I believe an ASIC overrules an AVID. Therefore, if you do not have your AVID yet you may be better off applying for an ASIC. If I am wrong can someone please correct me.

This was my interpretation of the rules - if I am incorrect someone will correct me.

Better still, speak to your flying school or call CASA on 1300 737 032 (be prepared to wait in a phone queue!).

:cool:

Aviatah
26th Jan 2006, 10:12
Hmm, ok.

They said on the phone it was 180. This is the DAME I'm going too. Which is in the morning.

Is this the only doctor I need to book in? I'm thinking now I need to book in a Opthomologist and all. Which I presume is MORE money.

This is where I'm screwed over casa website gives you no information and I do not have a phone.