PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Boxkite Data…

JDK
22nd Jan 2006, 12:00
I’m currently working on a project article on technological history – no, wake up… which involves me looking at what data there is / was around on the Bristol Boxkite. We kind of expect modern machines to be properly stress calculated, and full drawings and data provided, but back then, it weren’t so neat –

Chalk marks on the floor, a nifty Anglo-French aeroplane to copy (oops – I mean ‘for inspiration’) and get it out and see if it flies. If you break it, make sure you bring the engine back because we can use that in the next one… Ah, happy days.

Just how happy were they? I’m looking at the Boxkite because of its interesting antecedents, and the fact that it’s also one of those aircraft built in replica form in the ‘modern’ but pre-computer era – by Miles for the Magnificent Men Film.

Thank you for your patience. Here’s the punchline. I’m looking for drawings, data and info from Bristol during the building of the Boxkite and Miles when they were making the new ones. I’ve got the Mag Men book on the building, and a few other refs, and I’m NOT after modelling or secondary data, like three-views, but anything original on how to make or repair these planes would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I know where the three replicas are (Oakey, Queensland, Old Warden and Bristol) but as far as I know, that’s it… I'm also aware of the usual suspects in this era of aviation, but I may have missed some, so do list the mags and webs that might point me to the holy grail.

Technical reference drawings by riggers and fitters would be great too… and as a sideline any old photos showing details of the aircraft – I’m well provided with new ones, thanks! If they used any ‘off-the-shelf’ parts that too would be worth knowing – it certainly happened a lot more than we realise today. (Flat cap, intrepid airman, for the use of, reversed, tweed) adverts from 1914 appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers

brabazon
23rd Jan 2006, 11:55
Have you tried the Royal Aeronautical Society library in London and/or the Bristol Aircraft Museum at Kemble? I remember reading about the Boxkite and how they sold a few to the Russian Army in 1911 one of the first export deals.