PDA

View Full Version : Plane offloads unruly passenger

flyboy2
22nd Jan 2006, 11:58
Plane ofloads unruly passenger2006-01-22 14:21:16http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/20060122114711747.jpg

A drunken Swedish passenger forced a commercial airliner to return to Stockholm on Saturday, just 30 minutes after it took off, police said on Sunday.
Thai Airway's flight TG961 with 397 people onboard left Stockholm's Arlanda airport in the afternoon and was on its way to Bangkok when the passenger became unruly.

Cabin crew and passengers managed to overpower the 44-year-old man but the pilot elected to return to Stockholm after about 30 minutes in the air, police spokesperson Yvonne Lindholm said.

The man was arrested by Arlanda police but was released after questioning, she said.

The Thai Boeing 747 left Arlanda again five hours later.

No one was injured during the incident

akerosid
22nd Jan 2006, 13:26
Let me get this straight, his anti-social behaviour caused an aircraft to turn around and return to the airport and yet, he gets released after questioning; no charges, not even a slap on the wrist.

I know Swedes are regarded as liberal, but surely this is taking it too far?

Presumably TG will be able to take a civil case against him?

wombat13
22nd Jan 2006, 13:54
That will show him..................

Speedpig
22nd Jan 2006, 13:55
If he was that drunk thirty minutes into the flight, he must surely have been pretty well drunk before boarding. Why allow him to board?
Expensive excercise.

MaximumPete
22nd Jan 2006, 13:57
They must have dumped an awful lot of fuel to get down to landing weight if they were going direct to Bangkok.

MP:\

EI-CFC
22nd Jan 2006, 14:09
If he was that drunk thirty minutes into the flight

In fairness, we don't know if he was drunk. It could have been someone who was mentally ill, or had a severe panic attack or any other number of combinations.

fernytickles
22nd Jan 2006, 16:21
I like the title of the topic. I have this mental picture of the aircraft taxiing on to stand, and spitting the passenger out through the radome....

captjns
22nd Jan 2006, 16:47
Another typical :mad: example of gate agents wanting to unload apparently drunk and/or unruly passengers aboard aircraft with unsuspecting crewmembers and passengers.

PAXboy
22nd Jan 2006, 16:52
Through the radome???? Had you never learnt why the 727 had the airstairs mounted at the [ahem] 'rear' of the aircraft? :ok:

fernytickles
22nd Jan 2006, 21:41
Uhoh! I never was any good at correct terminology.......:eek:

Speedpig
23rd Jan 2006, 01:47
In fairness, we don't know if he was drunk. It could have been someone who was mentally ill, or had a severe panic attack or any other number of combinations.

You're absolutely right. Take the BA 2069 to NBO for example. I was a little hasty, almost as hasty as captjns. Given the above posting, who was to know? He may have been showing no signs of any condition on boarding so unfair to blame the gate staff. It is not uncommon for drunks to be able to contain the evidence while checking in and boarding, but once the cabin altitude starts to climb, wham!:eek: