PDA

View Full Version : ATCO' with Asthma

future atco
22nd Jan 2006, 11:56
Hi guys

Just a quicky!

Does anyone know if being an Asthmatic will affect my chances of becoming an ATCO?
I've applied many times for the Armed Forces in the past, sometimes lying about my Asthma, and it has always held me back. I have also applied for other 'high intensity' jobs where i've been told my Asthma would stop me from getting the position.

Can anyone put my mind at rest as i dont want to put myself through the apptitude tests on tuesday, if i'm going to face this heart ache again!!

thanks for your time guys

Non Normal
22nd Jan 2006, 12:06
Have you passed the UK CAA Class 1 Medical for ATCOs?
You'll need to be able to pass that to become an ATCO in the UK (I'm assuming you're in the UK because your location says Somerset).

future atco
22nd Jan 2006, 12:10
Hi

I havent taken any medicals yet? I'm taking my apptitude tests with NATS on Tuesday but i dont want to put myself through that if someone is going to tell me that i cant commence training (should i get that far) because i'm Asthmatic?

And yes, i'm in somerset!

Non Normal
22nd Jan 2006, 12:20
Hmmm okay, a bit of a hard one, because if you get through the aptitude test but can't get through the medical, it'll be pretty disheartening for sure. You have to be able to pass the medical to become an ATCO - it's not so much a selection process issue, but rather, a legal requirement.

I guess you could call CAA medical division on 01293 573700 to have a chat about your asthma, because they may be able to say Yes, No or Maybe.

Here's a bit of information on CAA Class 1:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=529

mad_jock
22nd Jan 2006, 12:21
I presume the ATCO medical is about the same as the class 1 pilot medical.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=70&groupid=205

"
FAQ Details
I suffer from asthma/hayfever, will I obtain an initial issue of a JAA Class 1 certificate?

Hayfever is not usually a problem providing it is well controlled on an acceptable medication. Asthma may be acceptable providing control of symptoms is good on approved medication.

"

There is a phone number you can call which puts you in touch with the AME's who do the initials at Gatwick. From personal experence the medics at Gatwick are really not to be scared of. They can and do move the earth to try and get people flying / working. Some of the AME's are a bit over keen on well man clinics for my liking but they have their heart in the right place.

MJ

got caught
23rd Jan 2006, 07:59
Sorry not an AME, but I do know asthma in relation to Class 1 medicals has been discussed at length on this forum- have you tried running a search?

I should imagine that the medics will be interested in the severity of your asthma:- they will probably be inteterested in factors such as :

Have you required admission to hospital because of your asthma.
Does your asthma stop/restrict you doing your every day activities.
What is you "peak flow" reading- does it correlate with your age/height/sex.
What medication do you require, and how often.

I wouldn't advocate lying, but if you think that your symptoms have been mislabelled, it may be worth a visit to your physician to question your original diagnosis, which isn't always that scientific.

buggingout
24th Jan 2006, 05:59
they are after what "got caught" lists. essentially they want to know how controlled your asthma is. generally they're looking for no less than 70% peak capacity as per your age/height/sex etc.

beyond that they look for no tailing-off of your performance after exercise. at gatwick they will make you run around the building for 6 mins after already performing a peak flow & lung capacity check.

they will then take the readings again after the exercise and again 10 mins later. your readings need to be within a ball-hair of your original readings. the respiratory consultant will also check you over and question you about the history. the CAA website lists the criteria they are after but no hospital admissions with the last 5 years and no dependence on oral steroids are the main factors coupled with don't be wheezing like an old man during your medical. topical steriods ( i think they're called) such as becotide, ventoline, serotide etc. are acceptable medications though. and are encouraged to be taken if it controls your condition.

phone the CAA up, they're damn helpful but be prepared that it might take them a couple of months to give you the all-clear.

good luck with it.