PDA

View Full Version : QF sim ride information

gary gearbox
22nd Jan 2006, 09:22
Hi All!

I am trying to compile some info on the QF sim ride.

I have found some details on old posts, about 2 yrs back. Is there anyone who has been through in the last 12 months that is able to put forward some more recent tips?

Anything is good, approach types, power settings, 747/767, any airwork that was done?

thanks for your help.

GG

bantios
23rd Jan 2006, 09:02
You dont make sense.

What information do you want?

OBNO
23rd Jan 2006, 09:22
Bantios - Mate really it's not that hard. Clearly the fella is after some detailed information on the Sim ride as part of the QF recruitment process.

GG - If you get to that stage, normally they will send out an outline of the profile you are expected to fly. Expect to fly a couple of approaches Precision and Non-Precision, as well as some simple orientation and co-ordination exercises. However, I am sure there are some folks out there who have completed the SIm ride in more recent times.

HEALY
24th Jan 2006, 01:15
GG
There has certainly been a couple of good posts over the years covering it and I dont think its changed much. Flew it a few months back in the B767-300. Brief rundown from memory.
Preflight-Meet and greet with Sim Capt and other candidates with detailed brief expanding on notes mailed to you giving power settings/attitudes and configs. Know them but also write them on a small laminated card and put it on one of the three?? clips around the seat in sim. Your brain will get fried and a quick glance is no drama. Made to feel comfortable.
Good idea is also reduce the size of the jepps plated mailed to you to A5 size to make it easier to see everything around you. Highlight things on the plate but dont! take your own simplified one in with you.
One in at a time so take 5 in the coffee room on corner couch and try and relax....I had a 2 1/2 wait for mine. Talking to the QF pilots there makes you feels more relaxed IMHO (unless its about EBA's I guess!!!)
Jump in and normally they will give you a couple of minutes to get over the aaaahhhh s**t factor (if its all a bit "u beaut" for you)
Take Off- Climb out to about 4000 feet. Give you time to settle into your scan pattern.
Then a couple of medium turns onto heading and a couple climbs and descends. You need to figure out attitudes and power settings for this. Take your time, let it settle and no dramas.
Around for an ILS, radar vectors onto the localizer. Again fly it how you are briefed ie when to put the gear down.
Go around from about 500 feet and back up to 4000 feet to do some steep turns. Sim starts to shudder and vibrate (mine did anyway) but keep it going and hold pitch attitude or it will go to poo.
Finish with a twin locator appch. If you havent done it before have a go on flight sim to see what it looks like. You will do a holding pattern for the start of this appch. If you have time to brief it do so. Write out a brief before you go and know it.
Hope this helps
Good luck with it all

giddy up
24th Jan 2006, 02:42
Just while we're on the topic, has anyone been called up lately for psych tests, sims, or interviews??

Transition Layer
24th Jan 2006, 02:44
g up,

Yes, in fact one of our mates, the cambodian refugee. Haha ;)

Cheers,
TL

bantios
24th Jan 2006, 06:56
Sim Ride

Noise Abatement Departure
One Engine Inop Ils- Missed App

Holding Pattern
Vor / Dme Circuling App
Right Seat Circuit
No Slope Guidance

Hugh Jarse
24th Jan 2006, 08:17
The only thing you got right, bantios was the holding pattern:}

Unless you meant a different airline:cool:

gary gearbox
24th Jan 2006, 08:23
Yes, was after stage 3 recruitment info, OBNO and Healy are on the right track, thanks. Anything more along that line would be great. Going to give the flight sim a good work out!

Bantios, is that what you do for a 3 month check? I hope you dont get that for stage 3 sim check these days!

Thanks all

GG

mourgo
26th Jan 2006, 01:56
Yes,
thats part of a 3month check :)

NOT QANTAS but part thereof