PDA

View Full Version : Unst, Scatsta & Barra...?

egld0624
21st Jan 2006, 22:36
Hi All,

Just at the trip planning stage & before I've even picked up the phone to these places was wondering if anyone has any recent experiences going into/out of these remote a/ds or have any constructive recommendations about them.

Kind regards,

EG:ok:

Chilli Monster
21st Jan 2006, 22:54
Unst: No longer in the UK AIP so no longer licensed. As it's no longer used by the oil industry And there's not even a scheduled Islander service as there was many years ago I would suspect it's on an "at your own risk" basis if it's even still available.

Scatsta: Mainly for the oil industry, use would be PPR only and I would guess parking space might be at a premium. Unless you burn Jet-A then again fuel will be a problem. Lerwick / Tingwall (EGET) might be a better bet.

bottom rung
22nd Jan 2006, 06:31
Hey EG
PM me if you want any Scatsta or Tingwall info. Space at Scatsta is not necessarily a prob if the aircraft type is on the small side, but as CM says, fuel may be.:ok:
BR

helicopter-redeye
22nd Jan 2006, 13:44
I was flying up there for a week in the summer.

Points to note:_

1, Avgas availiability in NW Scotland is 'limited' (Oban is 'it' for fuel but is Oban Open?). Jet more available.

2, Weather - you could end up parked for a few days

3, Coastal refraction on Barra NDB is using radio aids

4, Opening times at some fields are eclectic and based on limited scheduled flights. Get a HIAL out of hours permission (but dont assume HIAL airport mangers understand what it is or will not complain if you want to arr/ dep out of hours, even if they agreed to it earlier ...)

5, Great place to fly on a nice day

h-r

Droopystop
22nd Jan 2006, 14:07
Oban is not quite "it", but is definitely worth a visit (providing the current mess is sorted). Stornoway and I think Benbecula also do 100LL. Loganair do the fuel at Benbecula so it would be worth checking with their ops in Glasgow.

Ringway Flyer
22nd Jan 2006, 14:44
Watch out for puddles on Barra! We met one about 1/2 way to lift off which knocked 10 knts off our speed just when the point of no returned was reached.... Fortunately there were no others! Now I know why the Twotter followed a line to the right of centre. Interesting experience, though.
:ok:

Tinstaafl
23rd Jan 2006, 12:40
Unst: Kept useable - albeit unlicenced - for air ambulance flights. No fuel or navaids. Owned by the Shetland Islands Council (SIC). Contact them for permission. Occasionally used for other purposes eg the car club's annual drag races.

Scatsta: Tower, NDB & SRA approaches available. No avgas. May need permission but I can't remember. Was never a factor for us when I worked for Loganair up there.

Tingwall: Licenced. Fuel may be available for sale. Depends on the fuel stock & Loganair's needs (it's their own fuel). No instrument approach but does have an NDB. Watch out for the rising ground all around the strip (it's in a valley) and be careful about the wind turbines to the S - especially if you're departing into IMC & the wind is westerly.

Don't forget Sumburgh: Licenced. Tower & various instrument approaches including ILS. Avgas available.

Half a dozen other airstrips in the Shetlands. Some are easy to fly into, others rather challenging eg short (381m with obstacles) or even impossible if the wind is above ~15-20 kts from the wrong direction(s).

Sean Dillon
24th Jan 2006, 12:10
Benbecular is worth a trip - NDB/VOR on site..

Sumburgh is well worth visiting - visual approach to 33 is highly recomended!! About 40 mins by car to Lerwick if you want to stay overnight or the Sumburgh Hotel (wouldn't recommend it though!) Can be a bit windy this time of year!!!!

Islay is also worth a visit in good weather, NDB/DME on site - great if you like whiskey!!!! Very poncy distilleries on the island.

nosewheelfirst
24th Jan 2006, 12:38
Islay called us last summer saying they now had fuel. Im not sure if this is still the case as I have not been there this year.

egld0624
25th Jan 2006, 09:14
Many thanks to all the above for their constructive comments and insights.

Bottom Rung - I shall PM you shortly.

Thank you again,

EG:ok: