PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Met CD

hixton
20th Jan 2006, 19:21
Anyone reccomend this as any good for the ATPL exams, or any other decent video`s etc they know of?

Jsap
20th Jan 2006, 19:34
Yes not only for exams but understanding WX in general. Also just to clarify, its not a Met course substitute.

It worths its money.

Jsap :suspect:

finals24
20th Jan 2006, 21:07
Brilliant learning aid, worth every penny. It was my sole means of reference to get me through the met exam.

hughesyd
20th Jan 2006, 21:47
sounds like a winner. where do i get this CD, can you order it from Oxford?

fly-half
21st Jan 2006, 01:40
you must get it without a doubt!!

smith
21st Jan 2006, 12:47
hughsyd,
check your pm

finals24
21st Jan 2006, 14:01
Suggest you buy it from www.transair.co.uk or similar aviation product supplier.

Blackpoolwarrior
21st Jan 2006, 22:39
IMHO the met CD from OAT is ok, but misses out on some really good opportunities to demonstrate how weather phenomena work. For instance, the use of animation is one of the selling points but is very basic and isn't used to show how frontal movement leads to a depression for example. These are things which are really difficult to visualise and a programme using flash or macromedia could animate these sorts of things well- but most of the CD are still shots. It's ok, but pricey for what you get, as it leaves most things to the imagination- bit like the magazines i subscribe to.......

Charlie Zulu
22nd Jan 2006, 06:23
I found the CBT being very useful for teaching Meteorology and Climatology up to JAA ATPL standard. However it would have been useful to show how frontal movement develop into polar frontal depressions. I still have difficulty in visualising this and I've already passed the exam.

The way I used it was that I would read the relevant chapter in the school manual for Meteorology and then would "watch" the relevant sections from the Oxford CD whilst making brief notes which would condense and (usually) instill the material into my then fried brain.

A couple of weeks before the exam I worked through the entire CBT, especially the Global and Local Climatology sections.

Overall I believe the CBT is excellent value for money and most definitely helped me visualise the concepts of Meteorology and Climatology.

For my second module, I am tempted to go and buy the Oxford Piston Engine and Turbine Engine CBT's but at £70 per CBT, I'm not too sure if they are worth the money, would anyone know if they are up to the "Met CBT" standard?

Blackpoolwarrior
22nd Jan 2006, 10:03
CZ,

I also have piston engines and it is an improvement over the met CDROM. Trouble is of course, that is only half the battle in the exam- although i believe a jet engine CDROM is to be released imminently.