PDA

View Full Version : Pass Benefits

V1V2VR
20th Jan 2006, 15:04
Hi ya'll,

I am a Yank about to interview for a USA based freighter position and was wondering bout pass benefits with other One World carrieres specifically AA. After the requisite 6 months/ 1 year, what is available.

I currently work for a Skyteam carrier and can walk up to another Skyteam's ticket counter, show my ID and list for the flight.

Is it the same?

Thanks

Sqwak7700
23rd Jan 2006, 04:21
Hey there.

Unfortunately, Cathay's travel benefits are not very good. They definetely don't come even close to the convenience you experienced with your current company state side. That was the bigest change that required adjusting for me when I came here.

All travel needs to be coordinated through HK. So, you will no longer be able to walk up to the airport and jump on a plane. Even if it is a Cathay plane. I don't understand why you can't travel ticketless on your own airline?? If you want to travel on CX you have to make a listing online, then you have to print the tickets....in hong kong!! Oh yeah, you can have the benefits department print them for you. They will do this and send the tickets to your mailbox... in hong kong.

I haven't used one-world tickets, or as they call them here, zed fares. They work in the same way that they did in the states. You still have to coordinate them through the travel desk and pick them up in HK. Most guys that commute print out a stack of tickets on many airlines and then carry them with them when they commute.

The tickets are deducted from your HSBC savings account. There is quite a lag from when they are deducted and when you actually used them. So it is best to keep enough money in that account. If they try to deduct a ticket cost and there isn't enough funds your travel benefits could be suspended or you could be diciplined.

If you are gonna be based in HK, then the benefits are a little more useful. If you gotta take up a basing, they are not very practical. On the upside, CX is a company that seems to evolve and change, especially with technology. So maybe it wont be long till we introduce ticketless travel for employees. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mr. Bloggs
23rd Jan 2006, 21:51
When travelling on CX you pay ID 90 rates on the highest available fare, plus HK( Own Country) Tax, Airport fee and 100% of the fuel surcharge at the moment. The aircraft is departing anyway, so CX is putting your fuel surcharge directly into their pocket along with the ID90 rate.
They justify the ID 90 by having you pay portion of the landing fees, catering, etc. Don’t really understand when the aircraft is departing anyway. Don’t think the landing fees are going to change whether you get on or not.
As said before, certain companies use ticketless travel and administration fees only, but we are a different airline, so I am told.
In Asia and I have no doubt in Europe and North America that you can buy full fare on a low cost carrier for the price of a CX ticket or a ZED fare on a Third World Carrier.
CX insatiably makes money from their employees doing this, so I doubt it will stop.
Good luck on the interview.

CloudSailor
24th Jan 2006, 01:29
If anyone out there has a specific example of the price of a ticket, for example HKG-LAX-HKG? on CX or Zed fare?
Thanks.

RevMan2
24th Jan 2006, 07:32
This is what I (Star Alliance employee, based in Europe) would pay on CX:
HKG-LAX-HKG Y Standby
EUR 152 = Fare
EUR 53 = Airport taxes/Security fees
EUR 4 = Ticketing fee
EUR 209 = Total
Fringe benfits tax payable on EUR 210
Don't start me on how seamless and easy ID travel can be if an airline has its act together....

petitfromage
24th Jan 2006, 15:15
CX Staff travel is definitely not the cheapest around. When travelling economy it is often better to fly with another airline. Emirates has v cheap fares compared to CX.
Another good reason to fly with other carriers is that we (CX) are so damn full, you just cant get on!

HKG-LAX-HKG for CX staff is:

Business: US$495
Economy: US$300

This includes fees for:

HK Airport Admin Fee: US$5
HK Security Fee:US$4
HK Departure Tax:US$15
LAX Transportation Fee x2: US$30 (total)
LAX Animal/Plant Inspection Fee:US$5
LAX Immigration Fee: US$7
LAX Customs Fee: US$5
LAX Security Fee: US$2
CX Fuel Surcharges x 2: US$100 (total)

Total Fees/Surcharges and Extras: US$173

If any of this is in some way commercially sensitive then please PM me and I'll delete the post!

Kitsune
24th Jan 2006, 16:28
As of course opposed to the US carriers where you can easily walk on due to the lack of fare paying pax.......

Seniority is the issue with CX. ALL staff are entitled to staff travel, seniority is the only way to sort out who goes when there is only one seat, seems fare (?) to me......(with my seniority number anyway...):D

junior_man
25th Jan 2006, 01:39
Ouch.
As an employee of a US carrier, (not One World either) I can travel JFK HKG JFK for under $200 US on Cathay.

Any idea what kind of deal is to be had for CX employees on One World Carriers? Like AA? ID 90 or ID 95?

water check
25th Jan 2006, 03:14
Pass benefits....?? Hahahahahahaha :{ :ugh: :hmm: :uhoh: :confused: :\ :eek: :ooh: :oh: :sad: :(

CX thinks of their employees as another revenue/profit stream. My thoughts on this are unprintable....

petitfromage
25th Jan 2006, 03:26
Sticking with the HKG-LAX theme.....(one-way)

Cathay Staff Travel: Economy US$64 + taxes (Business US$167+taxes)
One World: US$120 + taxes
ZED (other carriers): US$89 + taxes

**Thats the official rate. Obviously the 'difference' in total fare is how your airline, OW or ZED add on the little extras! For example, Cathay add the fuel surcharge to staff tickets. As far as I can tell, Qantas and Emirates dont.......from HK-LAX thats an extra US$50.

Of course the bonus of travelling long haul with your own airline is that you can get Business/First class. Not to mention, if your not flying youre own airline your boarding priority is rock bottom.

I could fly to the USA cheaper with United or Northwest....by why would I bother? They are complete rubbish!
Tatty old jets, antiquated IFE and cabin crew who look (and act) like they should be starring in Land of the Living Dead.

If youre such a scrooge that US$50 breaks the bank & tugs at the heart strings.....then take your chances but please, lets not hear how bad it was. (Aimed at no-one in particular, so please dont take offence)

Lastly although things may be much better in the US (although Im personally unconvinced of that)..... but this is not the US! In joining CX, youre working in Asia for an Aisian airline. If you learn how to work the system rather than fight it, you'll find your quality of life increases 10-fold.

Its swings and round-abouts. In the US you can obviously just pitch-up, flash your card and get a ticket. Not so here Im afraid. But, in CX you can get your parents, wife and kids on the jumpseat if needs be....and that too is a bonus (given our loads). You win some and lose some. The choice is yours.

Happy Year of the (Hair of) the Dog.

Kung Hei Fat Choi

junior_man
25th Jan 2006, 22:59
PF,

The reason pass benefits are an issue in the US is that due to the destruction of the airline industry here, pilots live all over and it is a rather large place. It is more of a commuting issue for guys who have older children and do not or can't for various reasons, move. So commuting to work is common in the USA. (Commuting sucks too.) So while spending an extra $50 for a holiday is one thing, an extra $50 each time you go to work is a bit worse.

Personally, I would trade the $700 a month I now have to pay for my crappy health insurance and my free travel (I can never go anywhere anybody wants to though as the planes are full) for a good job with a profitable carrier. Even if I have to spring a few extra $$ for a pass.
Be nice to have an employer who doesn't expect you to change bases all the time. (4 in one year, 25 base assignments in 20 years.) That way it is possible to live where you are based. A BIG plus.

Kitsune
28th Jan 2006, 07:54
Has 411a retired? What IS the world coming to?:}

MrSnork
31st Jan 2006, 08:05
>>I could fly to the USA cheaper with United or Northwest....by why would I bother? They are complete rubbish!
Tatty old jets, antiquated IFE and cabin crew who look (and act) like they should be starring in Land of the Living Dead.<<

Hey Mr petitfromage, small cheese, small whatever...
nice quote. How wonderful for you that you work for an airline that is able to age discriminate. Well done, and congratulations...
As far as pass riding on UAL, don't bother. People like you are not welcome.

Snork out