PDA

View Full Version : Maths for airline assessment - help!

Elixir
20th Jan 2006, 11:57
I recently attended an assessment day for a major uk airline and felt really slow at the maths test. I got to question 18 out of about 25 in the time allocated.
I can do the actual maths ok but just need to speed up.

Can anyone recommend a decent book to help in the preparation for numerical tests for airline assessments? I ordered "Speed Mathematics" off the internet but cant get to grips with their strange methods. :confused:

Please help!

Ropey Pilot
20th Jan 2006, 12:20
If said assessment was BA a lot of people don't get to number 20! That test isn't just to check your maths (most of those questions can be answered by 11 year olds) it is to put you under pressure and see if you can prioritize (there are some quick questions near the end but if you get bogged down in the middle answering a v. easy but v. long question you will never reach them!

If it wasn't BA ignore the above and depending on what they are asking just make sure you have your 'times tables' squared away (5x8=? quickly now......7x4 = ? come on........). If your basics are lightening fast then you will have time to work at the other bits on the test and you will know the sort of things they asked and therefore what you need to work on - practice makes perfect!

You don't need books for that!