PDA

View Full Version : ATPL DL vs. Full Time Groundschool

Married2APilot
19th Jan 2006, 10:36
Hello :D

I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of attending a full time groundschool vs. doing the ATPL via Distance Learning. Which one do you recommend? I hear all these things about how difficult the course is in the full time groundschool, why would anyone make it harder on themselves by doing it via distance learning? What type of student does it take to be able to pull that off? People get on this forum and think that simply because someone else did it and passed it that it will be the same for them too. I'd like to hear from people who've done either one of them (not those who havent attempted it).

I mean besides the money that you save....is it really worth taking that chance? :confused:

Married2APilot
19th Jan 2006, 10:45
I mean say you're a person who's not really into math and physics and you know that you'll probably need some help and guidance to get you through both elements of the course......would you attempt distance learning :confused:

hughesyd
19th Jan 2006, 12:07
You are quite right to have concerns and yes, the course certainly is not easy by any means. I am currently half way through my ATPLs and i must say it is one of the hardest things i have ever done in my life. I too am not particularly physics and maths orientated and have found some of the course very challenging.
I personally would reccomend going to a groundschool, it is certainly money well spent. I am at a groundschool in spain, so i have 4 hours groundschool every evening, the rest of the day i am studiing at home. Just doing the distance learning, you are making it very hard for yourself and also dont have access to the knowledge of the lecturers, who can sometimes explain things which would otherwise seem imposible.I also know that i need to be in a classroom enviroment to give me that motivation to study, to many distractions at home.
That said, a lot is down to the individuals learing abilitys. We have to accept that some people are comfortable in certain subjects than in others ,but guidance can only be a good thing!.
Some people on here do make it sound like a formality to get through the ATPLs, its tough, long days and nights studying, not being able to sleep, the headaches and stress!!, but the end goal is well worth it.
I have heard that Bristol Groundschool have a good distance learning support network if you choose to go down that route.
Good Luck.

hughesyd
19th Jan 2006, 12:12
Sorry, forget my reccomendation of Bristol Gs, didnt realise you were in the USA!!!.:= Get to a reputable groundschool over there, there are plenty of them.

MIKECR
19th Jan 2006, 13:09
I started Distance Learning last year but due to work commitments and various shifts I couldnt keep up with the course. I fell behind quite quickly and made the decision to switch to a full time course, starting this April. Think i've made the right decison, proper classroom tuition, environment etc etc. Suits me better although DL has obviously worked for lots of people out there. Just depends on how much quality time you can commit to DL.

mad_jock
19th Jan 2006, 13:17
Depends on your background and how long you have been out of education.

The course it's self isn't actually that hard some people try and kid themselves that its degree level. Its maybe 1st year level or an access course if that. It's the sheer volume of the stuff which causes the problems.

If in the past you haven't had any problems self teaching yourself using pre prepared materials. Go for distance learning. If you have always suffered problems with self motivation when it comes to studying go for full time.

But don't worry peoples minds work in different ways and if you struggle on the engineering type stuff. You can be assured that the engineering type people are going through hell on earth with air law and ops procedures.
Personally I had 2-6 pints down my neck before i could even open those two books (god bless feedback)

Either Bristol or Oxford will do the job. As your in the US Naples also do ATPL theory i believe but i can't comment if its good or bad.

Some cheap books that will do for the basics and to reference to during your studies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0716969270/all/026-7865963-4294069

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/159257081X/qid=1137679450/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/026-7865963-4294069#product-details

This maths book is a bit more expensive but the uni's seem to like it for access courses for engineering. Proberly over kill but hey better to much than to little.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201137305/ref=br_lf_b_8/026-7865963-4294069

MJ

apruneuk
19th Jan 2006, 16:42
I did the ATPLs distance learning having been out of school for 20 years and managed to pass them all first time. However, the school I chose (Cabair) allowed me to do it in 4 installments with 2 weeks of compulsory groundschool before each set of exams. I really don't think I could have coped with taking them in 2 sittings and I couldn't afford the time and money to go residential.
There are many problems with distance learning, not the least of which is self discipline. I run my own business and could only study at night; I did 2-3 hours every night for 12 months! Obviously this can impact on family life and certainly made me the most boring person Planet for the duration. The maths and physics are really 14 year old standard but you must be accurate and fast. Would I do it again? Never in a million years! Did I get paralytic drunk at the end of it? Not 'Arf!

scolley
19th Jan 2006, 18:44
Which ground school in spain did you attend? do you recomend the company? How did you get on?

Married2APilot
19th Jan 2006, 23:31
Thank you to all the people who replied. I wasnt actually asking for myself though..I was asking for someone I know who currently lives in France:ok: