PDA

View Full Version : B58 Lost short of McArthur River Mine

Pharcarnell
19th Jan 2006, 05:17
Just heard on ABC radio.

A Hardy's B58 crashed short of McArthur River Mine strip in the Gulf country.

2 on board.

No details yet but I hope the dire report was media hype.

I know those guys and it worries me.

Di_Vosh
19th Jan 2006, 05:29
Plane crashes in NT

January 19, 2006
A LIGHT aircraft has crashed near Borroloola in the Northern Territory.

A police spokeswoman said it was unclear how many people were aboard the aircraft and if there were any survivors.

The twin-engine Beechcraft Baron B58 had been due at the McArthur River Mine airstrip at 9.30am (CST) today, and workers alerted police when it did not arrive.

An air search later found the wreckage of the plane about 9km south-east of the mine, the police spokeswoman said.

Hopefully all are okay.

AustinPowers
19th Jan 2006, 05:51
Not good news at all from I hear so far.....I know the pilot very well too.... Apparently the aircraft was found upside down in the scrub not far from the runway

Am still hoping they're OK !!

Austin

rmcdonal
19th Jan 2006, 08:23
Not good. :ugh:
Sorry to hear.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1551284.htm

centurionII
19th Jan 2006, 21:17
Very Tragic. Dale was a great bloke that will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with his family and our mates at Hardys.

http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17879416%255E13569,00.html

PPRuNeUser0182
19th Jan 2006, 22:01
Awful, awful news. :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

RIP mate; and thoughts are with the hardys team. :uhoh: :{

Soulman
19th Jan 2006, 22:54
Can anyone confirm pilot - just initials will suffice.

I have a mate at Hardy's on the Baron and have been trying to contact him but his phone is switched off. Am worried.

philr
19th Jan 2006, 23:01
I concur with soul, just the initials please......or PM

DUXNUTZ
19th Jan 2006, 23:01
Condolences to all involved,

Lived in Borroloola for more time than i want to remember and know the area pretty well. Sad news indeed.

centurionII
20th Jan 2006, 00:37
Pilots Initials .....DF. Great guy.

tinpis
20th Jan 2006, 01:48
Weather been pretty ordinary.
B58 got plenty range would ISA be an alternate..or Tennant?

Condolences to all affected families

philr
20th Jan 2006, 02:14
Thanx Centurion, many many people will have flown with DF, a great guy and a meticulous pilot.

Condolences to all at HA as well as immediate family.

R.I.P. my friend

UnusualAttitudes
20th Jan 2006, 03:21
Like many others will attest, great instructor...even better bloke.

Only flew with Dale a few times during my short stay in Darwin and was impresssed by his standards and knowledge.

My thoughts are with his family at this dark time.

R.I.P mate.

jon.pierre
20th Jan 2006, 04:40
DF…One of the finest definitions of “professional” I have come across in aviation. He was an excellent instructor, extraordinary with people and devoted family man. Not only have Darwin and the industry as a whole lost a great pilot, but a great man who would have been an inspiration and role model for the futures young.

God bless the skies you fly now friend, and our thoughts for your family.

Still bewildered, JP.

Mr. Hat
20th Jan 2006, 08:04
Oh D . Why did you have to go away old mate?

Bloody keen and comitted - making ends meet - trying to make a go of it with a young family.

Put up with me in that bloody sim. Never once lost your patience.

It's bloody tragic - such a nice fella - nothing was a problem ever.

We've lost a true gentleman of the industry gents.:uhoh: :(

alidad
20th Jan 2006, 09:40
Did not know the chap, but never a good look for anyone.

Can someone close to the family start a "donation" account please - count me in.
Not a good situation for a young family to be in. Was he a member iof the AFAP?

philr
20th Jan 2006, 10:06
Good thinking Ali...
I wonder if we could contribute to a fund est by HA or DFS? May be a way of approaching this, I'm sure R. and the kids would appreciate the support.
Still numb....
Every other year this seems to happen to either a former flying colleague or an acquaintance....what's going on ???

vneandbeyond
20th Jan 2006, 11:09
This is a sad day for everyone in the industry. A top bloke and a great pilot. RIP

Continental-520
20th Jan 2006, 13:30
I still cannot believe this has happened.
It scares me to think that if something like this can happen to someone of Dale's league, what is in store for those of us below him?

Well, you're above us all now mate, even more so than before, so fly high mate. It was nothing less than an honour to have met you.

Deepest condolences to the team at Hardy's, DFS and the family.

520. :(

dude65
21st Jan 2006, 02:16
Every other year this seems to happen to either a former flying colleague or an acquaintance....what's going on ???

In GA as a whole this seems to be happening every other week. What's going on is a valid question.

sandunes
21st Jan 2006, 05:46
yes.extremely horrible news re dale and my heart sincerly goes out to his immediate family - young kids...awful. a money fund great idea. established by the person with the generous idea not an aviation company...but that is only my opinion. also wondering the implications for HA. condolences to all his family and friends and flying associates.

philr
21st Jan 2006, 07:24
I worked with Dale in his flying school days for over 3 years....and, quite honestly, feel somewhere between numbness and disbelief as a result of this....am still trying to get the courage up to ring 'that phone number'...

Great idea Def; I'm good for $100 to begin.

Pass-A-Frozo
21st Jan 2006, 07:51
News report about the pilot (http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17888443%255E13569,00.html)

philr
21st Jan 2006, 07:55
...and in 'typical' style they get the surname incorrect.....makes you wonder!!:confused: :confused:

Master Red Cylinder
21st Jan 2006, 12:51
Can anyone pls confirm if he is Dale which worked at old DFS flying school around ´03? Im very saddened to hear about this accident.

MRC

Pharcarnell
21st Jan 2006, 21:22
MRC.
Yes.

My initial worst feeling, when I heard the report, confirmed.
A mate that will be sorely missed.:{ :{ :{ :{ :(

pistol night
21st Jan 2006, 23:13
RIP mate. I don't really know what to say. The disbelief has silenced me.

A gentleman above all other gentlemen, a professional above all other professionals.

I was honoured and will never forget the last flight we did together. I just wish it could have been under different circumstances. :{

A terrible injustice. Thoughts and prayers with R and family.

Note: If anyone has already made arrangements for a fund please PM me or i will start making the neccessary arrangements

The Pistol Family

UnusualAttitudes
22nd Jan 2006, 07:30
Can someone please PM me with the details once the fund has been established.

Can not think of a more worthy cause!!!

Mr. Hat
22nd Jan 2006, 12:01
I emailed the pprune thread address and news paper article to Mrs. Hat to give her an idea of why this was such a big shock for me and why I was so very upset when i discovered what had happened.

I hadn't talked to Dale in a long while. I moved away from the NT - got busy chasing the dream - fairly regretting it now.

I thought i'd share her reply as it might benefit some others that are reading-

Look at all the wonderful things said about him. It is sad he is no longer gracing this earth with his presence but his soul will live on in all those whose lives he touched. What advice do you think he would give you if he could speak to you now? I would hope he would say that he wouldn't change a thing. He died doing what he loved and he made his choices in life for the people he loved. Hold on tight to your dreams, and never let go.

Will miss you old son.

inbound details
22nd Jan 2006, 12:59
Does any one know if there are plans for either a funeral or a memorial service in the Darwin area?

THE CONTRACTOR
22nd Jan 2006, 19:29
I have not had the pleasure of meeting Dale, but from all the above posts I wish I had. My sincere condolances to his family and to the engineers. With one more baby on the way and two kids left behind I to feel I wish to join the aviation community and show support to his family. Can someone PM if they know of a way, if not I will contact Hardy. To all at Hardy's, I feel your sorrow.

pistol night
22nd Jan 2006, 21:25
inbound details.
Yes, I believe there is going to be a service in Darwin. Not sure yet of the details. Will let you know.

philr
23rd Jan 2006, 05:33
I understand that a funeral is likely to be held on Friday but this depends on the usual formalities being completed.

Watch the appropriate NT News column for details.

pistol night
23rd Jan 2006, 05:35
OK everyone, the Franke Family fund has been established. For anyone who would like to make a contribution, no donation is too small.

As good friends of the family and having a young family myself, i thought the ideas of a fund were a great idea. With no reply that one had been already been started, the following arrangements have been made.

Donations can be made via internet banking, or at any Westpac branch. Details are as follows;

Account Name: ATF THE FRANKE FAMILY
Account Number: 260665
BSB: 035306

We would like to Thank the staff of Westpac bank for their help setting up the account and their generous contributions.

maxgrad
23rd Jan 2006, 08:08
Condolences to all. Very very sad:sad:

inthesoup
23rd Jan 2006, 08:15
Very sad indeed. Condolences to the Franke family and all colleges at Hardy's and the Flying School. :sad:

Farewell my friend, thankyou for all your help in getting me settled down in darwin, would have loved to done more flying with you.

Hasselhof
23rd Jan 2006, 12:16
I don't know how much I can write in this thread because the pain is too close at hand.

I just wanted to add that in the past 24 hours since I got the word the sheer number of people that I've spoken to that have been so hurt by the loss has been overwhelming. I've been totally moved by the number of calls, the concern and the responses on places like PPRuNe that help to celebrate his life. He left such a mark on all those that have flown with him and gotten to know him over the years, a mate that was always there to throw out a helping hand and go that extra mile with enthusiasm. I've known Dale for about 6 years and been proud to have him as a friend for almost all of that time. I know that even though he's gone, I'll be taking with me some of my fondest memories, those of the fun times & the hard times, and most importantly memories of the love and care Dale Rach and the kids gave me while I was up in Darwin and since then as we've gone down seperate paths in life.

My condolences to the family and friends of passenger that was also taken, and to all those that have hurt from this loss.

To Rach and the kids, Julie Khan & Dell. I still don't know if I've got the words, they aren't enough, love to you guys I'll see you soon.

Scott

Master Red Cylinder
24th Jan 2006, 00:10
Does anyone know if Rachel has an email my wife and I could write to? We´re far from Oz and cannot do otherwise. PM me if you do, Thanks.
MRC

mjbow2
24th Jan 2006, 08:19
Any news of the funeral? I have never met the guy, but it sure sounds like he will be missed, especially by his young family. A sad and tragic event. It would be nice to see a strong contingent of smartly uniformed airmen at his funeral. Funeral Details anyone?

Pharcarnell
24th Jan 2006, 22:42
From the NT News Wednesday.

At the Gardens, Friday 27th @ 10:00, the old Wesleyian church.

:{ :(

Kenneth
25th Jan 2006, 04:05
For those who cannot attend the service on friday, there is a condolence book on the front desk of the Darwin Flying School that will be available for a few weeks, after which it will be passed on to Dales family.

The Voice
26th Jan 2006, 18:42
With thanks to the journos' and editorial staff, NT NEWS, Friday 27th January, 2007.
http://http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17952517%255E13569,00.html (http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17952517%255E13569,00.html)

philr
27th Jan 2006, 08:45
OK

So we gave Dale a great send-off this morning; even those PPRuNers got a mention in a discussion with Dale's Father after the service.

...but once the dust has settled let us all:

-Think about Rachel and the kids once the 'crowds' have departed YPDN

-Contribute to the fund...

-Keep safe and look after one another! As somebody said during the service this morning....it is not (just) the checklist(s) that keep you guys safe...

and also, it was great to see so many 'old' acquaintances and students remembering the bloke that had imparted a truly remarkable skill...that of flight.

Great support out there...

Enuff raving for now...

Bye Dale, got your NT News photo in my logbook, found your old Massey wings (from under the seat of that borrowed Baron) and returned them to your wonderful wife....and shed a few more tears (quietly) on this Friday night after a few Coopers by an airfield somewhere (it's OK I don't have to fly tomorrow).

Bye-for-now my friend!:{

(It's just not fair!)

Kenneth
27th Jan 2006, 09:41
Here here, what a fantastic service and what a strong uplifting family!
Proud to have known you Dale!!

This Drinks for you!!! Cheers!:ok:

pistol night
27th Jan 2006, 10:46
Fellow Aviators,
Mr & Mrs Pistol along with the family of the young pilot who was tragically taken from us @ McArthur River, have been overwhelmed by all the support we have recieved from everyone, not just in the avaition community.
Those of us in NT would of seen the article in today's paper. The Westpac bank have advised us they can no longer handle an account which has attracted so much attention, and have advised us to open another account through a Non-profit organization (ie Salvation Army).
So we ask at this time that you hold on to your donations until the details of the new Fund are available. Funds and donations contributed so far will be used to open the new account.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience, but we believe this is the best way to reach the broader audience it has attracted. We will pass on the details of the new Fund ASAP.
Mr & Mrs Pistol

philr
27th Jan 2006, 10:52
tHANX pISTOL.....could venture an opinion about Westpac but it's too late and we are all too emotional around this neck-o-the woods after today's proceedings.:*

After discussing the DF fund we thought that the TERRITORY INSURANCE OFFICE may be worth a go for a few reasons:
1. They have a finance arm and therefore are set-up to handle electronic transactions
2. At least two of their staff that I know of have flown with DF in the past
3. They are, in a manner of speaking, 'under seige' at the moment and might feel compelled to take the community benefit line (as they have in the past).

Worth a try as a collection agency ( leave Westapac to making money through their ATMs)

UnusualAttitudes
27th Jan 2006, 12:04
Good bye cobber......Sorry I couldnt make it to Darwin for a proper farewell.

Know that you were, and will always be loved by friends and family and will be remembered fondly.

Till we meet again.

Continental-520
27th Jan 2006, 12:28
I was pleased to hear this song played at the service today. It is also a favourite of mine, but after today I will never listen to Tenacious D the same way ever again.

As for the Abby Dobson track, that was so fitting, yet so sad.

A huge thumbs up, thanks and hats off to the family for putting together a royal ceremony under what is undoubtedly the worst of times.

Once again my thoughts are with the Hardy's crew whose task and ordeal, along with the family's is arduous in the least. There is no way I could muster the strength to carry a fallen colleague like you guys did.

Farewell Dale.

:{

iceblock
27th Jan 2006, 20:55
Dale me old mate how very tragic, I have only just been passed the news and am devastated.

We began our careers paired up (thrown together) for our flight training and I can still remember how dedicated you were to your chosen passion. Early on you showed far more ability and dedication than I could ever muster and I could not have asked for more in a friend or flying buddy.

I suspected life is not fair and now I know it to be true.

To Rachael and the kids,

You and Dale were always meant to be together and to see Dale so happy when he was with you will be something I will never foreget.

Dale I have never spent so much time in a confined space as I have with you and I would be happy to do it all again, Palmerston gales and all!

Mr. Hat
28th Jan 2006, 00:35
I think it's the duty of all to see not only what we as individuals can contribute but also what our companies can do in whatever form.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend due distance but i can assure you that all around Australia people were having a quiet thought for old mate and his family.

I haven't a photo of him and wonder if its appropriate if someone could post the one from the paper or a personal one in good times on the forum. I think it would certainly help the cause for fund gathering.

Your call Womera and Ppruners.

The Franke Family
28th Jan 2006, 10:53
I am Rachels father and on behalf of Rach and the boys, myself & my wife and Dales family, I would just like to thank you folk for your fantastic comments and the kind words that have been posted on this web site. We have all read it and our hearts and spirits have been warmed by your thoughts.

So again, thankyou for you kindness as it has certainly been of great comfort in our sad time.

My thanks goes to each and every one of you.

God bless and thankyou.

Peter

Matt81
31st Jan 2006, 10:09
G'day All

To help with proceeds to the Franke Family Trust a fundrasing golf day has been organised. Darwin Golf Club have come to the party and offered free use of their venue for Saturday 11 February with a 16:00 start.

Entry will be $30 (9 holes) and club hire is available for $10. Prizes and raffles are being organised with any assistance in this area welcome. Tickets for the event MUST be prepurchased and numbers are limited. Drinks for the afternoon will be available through the DGC clubhouse which, considering their genorisity, I think we can all handle.

Any further details or to book a ticket I've set up an email:

[email protected]

sandunes
1st Feb 2006, 11:58
I am Rachels father and on behalf of Rach and the boys, myself & my wife and Dales family, I would just like to thank you folk for your fantastic comments and the kind words that have been posted on this web site. We have all read it and our hearts and spirits have been warmed by your thoughts.

So again, thankyou for you kindness as it has certainly been of great comfort in our sad time.

My thanks goes to each and every one of you.

God bless and thankyou.

Peter
just wondering if you would be open to giving me a private email or some other menas of contacting you at a later date. thank you .if not i respect your wishes.a pilot

Kenneth
3rd Feb 2006, 14:57
Nice work matt i hear the tickets are selling like hot cakes!!
Fantastic bit of work! can't think of a better cause!!!

See you at the golf day!!!

victor two
5th Feb 2006, 22:15
Without wanting to distract from the fact that this is very much a condolence thread, has there been any official word on the likely cause of the accident yet?

Matt81
6th Feb 2006, 09:50
Victor two

No instant answer has come to light as yet. A bunch of experienced ATSB guys are getting paid much more than us to study all the facts and find an answer to this tragedy. I understand your curiosity for what happened, the answer may save you or i from the same outcome. If you've read the ATSB web site post and the NT news clippings then you know as much as anyone.

That ATSB link is:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/aair200600256.aspx

inthesoup
8th Feb 2006, 00:07
Any more info about the trust account for Dale's family?????

pistol night
9th Feb 2006, 10:34
We are looking at every avenue to make sure the Trust account has been set up correctly and will bring maximum benefit and relief to all concerned.

Unforunately this is taking some time but will let everyone know when (or if) the details of the existing fund change. But for the time being donations can be made to the existing Trustee Account via any westpac bank branch.

Sincere apologies for all the delays

Account Name: ATF THE FRANKE FAMILY
Account Number: 260665
BSB: 035306

Matt81
12th Feb 2006, 00:59
Well its the day after and with thick head and complaining liver I can report that all who attended the golf day had a great time. Thanks to everyone for their time and generosity on the day. With the raffle, entry fees and fines thousands of dollars have now been added to the Franke Family Trust. To those who missed out I do apologise but it had to run on a first in first served basis. Theres talk of more things to come so keep your ear to the ground and jump in early.

Thanks must be breifly mentioned to the sponsors who so willingly came to the party: (Moderators be nice and let this shameless bit of promotion ride:} )

- Airservices Australia
- Intercontinental Hotels Group
- Hardy Aviaition
- Discovery Nightclub
- Shenanigans Pub
- Ducks Nuts
- BCC Cinemas
- Marrara Hotel

Also a big thanks to the following people that helped out:
BK + the missus (Sponsors signs)
BJW + the missus (Drinks buggy)
AS (All the little things on the day)

And most importantly thanks to the 40 odd people that came out for a game of golf in memory of a good bloke and to help out his family. It is fantastic to see a great industry full of great people pulling together to do great things for our friends.

Blue skies and fair winds,

Matt81

Woomera
17th Feb 2006, 02:09
Thanks for all your support folks, this thread must now be set free.:ok:

pistol night
12th Mar 2006, 09:30
A non-profit organization has taken control of the fundraising account established for the young family left behind after their tragic loss. The account details have changed and all donations will be tax deductable and going to a good cause. For account details please PM me or contact Darwin Flying School or Hardy Aviation.

KnifeEdge
12th Mar 2006, 10:42
First of all pistol thank you for all your efforts, will be in contact with Hardy's to make a donation.

Have known Dale for seven years and his passing came as a great shock.

A true gentleman of aviation that will be sorely missed. Darwin will not be the same without him. He showed true dedication to his calling and inspired all that met him to try and achieve a higher level in our flying.

Farewell.

KE

pistol night
12th Mar 2006, 12:00
Many thanks Knife, hopefully this new account will attract some more much needed donations