PDA

View Full Version : Advice on future career

mj1
18th Jan 2006, 18:46
Hi, i am new, hello.

I was thinking about my career options after A Level and stumbled upon this occupation. I have been looking at the nats website and so far have decided i would probably be best as an area controller but i am a bit confused as to how the course will be funded. Any advice apreciated.

I understand the stress of the job but i am very good at problem solving and minipulating data quickly so think this would be an ideal job. Are their any A Levels that are more likely to get me onto the course than others? I am planning to take Computing, Business, Physics and Maths.

I am willing to work anywhere but would to prefer to stay in the UK and eventually move to an area back in the north.

Also, how much are you paid, from what i understand, when i finish my 15 month course, i will become a trainee earning just over £20K, but after 4 years i will be fully qualified and earning around £40K. Is this correct.

Turn It Off
18th Jan 2006, 19:28
I am planning to take Computing, Business, Physics and Maths.

Hi,

I did exactly the same A levels, although, I got booted out of Maths and dropped Physics!! I am now a valid ADC / APR controller at a regional airfield.

As to which discipline you feel you would best be suited to, keep your options open and take all the oppourtunities you can to visit ACC, TMA and a couple of aerodromes, both with and without Radar attached to them.

Good Luck :)

Lock n' Load
18th Jan 2006, 19:36
I'd say that maths and physics are the most useful A-levels, TIO's experience notwithstanding. However, your educational qualifications are only the starting point. They, along with meeting the other requirements, will get you a testing day and that is where the fun starts. There are plenty of threads already about NATS testing, so try searching for it. Use your initiative to obtain visits to ATC units and read up on ATC. Your local library and book store will probably have something.
If you don't have at least some enthusiasm for aircraft, you won't find this to be the career for you.

NudgingSteel
18th Jan 2006, 19:39
Hello mj1,
In response to a couple of your queries: if you apply to NATS and pass all the tests, interviews and medical, then they will take you on and train you. You don't pay anything for the course. In fact, you will be paid whilst a student there. Not quite sure how much, as they are adjusting payscales at present, but at present it is somewhere in the region of £10k pa plus various expenses. (somebody more recent will surely confirm or correct me shortly....)
That said, it's a hard slog through the college and if you fail at any assessment point you can be chopped for good.
No particular A levels required, but it would certainly be an advantage to have an interest in the world of aviation, if only because it makes the learning process a bit easier if you already know some of it!
NATS will only post you within the UK. You probably won't get any choice whether you're streamed to Area or Aerodrome/Approach - that's determined by where the company needs people. The majority of folk get Area.
Best of luck - the pay is good, the hours are good and it's interesting work. Most ATCOs actually enjoy turning up to work, and there aren't many careers you could say that about....

mj1
18th Jan 2006, 20:01
Thanks to everyone for all the info, just reading more about it makes me want to persue it even more. I will definatley start learning more about the trade, i haven't even finished my gcse's yet so i still have over 2 years to do my research which i am hoping will become a hobby.

Please could you expand on the medical you mentioned?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jan 2006, 20:13
You said that you think you would prefer Area Control. On what do you base that, given that you know little about the job at present? Keep an open mind for the time being - your ideas may change when you learn more.
As others have suggested, try to make some visits to ATC units and get some background knowledge before you make a decision in the years to come. It's an immensely interesting and complex job and, at your stage, there is not much to choose between Area and Approach control. Or perhaps you mean the difference between Tower and Radar? THere are many facets to the job so do find out what you can as this will stand you in good stead when it comes to interviews and selection tests.
Controllers are required to meet similar medical requirements to airline pilots. If you were accepted for training you would have to undergo a fairly rigorous medical. If you subsequently became a controller you would have to undergo regular medicals to maintain your ATC licence. Don't worry too much about that yet - if you're an average fit young person you shouldn't have a problem. If you smoke, DON'T!
Best of luck and if I can help with any technical questions don't hesitate to PM me..

mj1
18th Jan 2006, 20:25
I am now definetly keeping an open mind now, any recomendations on good books for some basic information.