PDA

View Full Version : Merits of a JOC Course

no sponsor
18th Jan 2006, 12:24
What advantages are there to doing a JOC course? I have a MCC, but didn't get very much hands on jet flying in the sim we used. I recently had some hands-on in a 737 sim and I found it very tricky. My further questions are:

- Would it improve your chances in a Sim session? Or are they just looking to your ability to learn?

- Does it give you a better chance to pass a TR?

- Is a better just to do 5-10 hrs in a Sim with an experienced instructor, rather than a full 20 hr JOC course?

- Is there a good aircraft type to do it in, 73, 75 etc?

- Would it improve your raw data skills?

Bearing in mind that BA and CTC send their cadets on JOC courses, it sounds like a good idea, but the thought of spending another £3500 does lead to further sharp intakes of breath.

Are there any recommended courses. I did my MCC with Jetlinx.

Thanks

WingDown
18th Jan 2006, 12:54
I am in a similar position to yourself. On visiting several flight schools I have been told that the JOC is a very useful course, especially now that all job interviews conduct simulator assessments.

However, your right £3500 is a lot of extra expense for something that is not actually required and have listened to several peoples opinions, not affiliated with any FTO's, who have said it's not really necessary.

I have been planning to pay a little extra for my MCC to do the course on a proper jet sim to try and gain some useful jet handling skills as well as the MCC skills. I'll judge whether I want to do the JOC after completing the MCC. However as you have already completed your MCC then I would look at Oxford or maybe BCFT down at Bournemouth. I think you'll be looking at alot less than £3500, £2595 at Oxford on the B737 and £1995 at BCFT on a HS125.

Whatever you choose, best of luck

WD

markflyer6580
18th Jan 2006, 16:03
If you just wanted to get a heads up for flying a jet pre sim check or interview etc,you could try this place,its about £230 hr on their 737 sim,although they do offers on late notice slots.(they also have a F4 phantom sim in case you get a job offer for one of those!:}

http://www.realsimulation.co.uk/

Might be worth a go,if you take to it maybe do a couple of hours,if not then JOC could be for you since it would be more formal. Hope this helps I wanted to go as a chrimbo pressie,but no such luck.:ok: