PDA

View Full Version : W.... The polishing thread?

OpsNormal
18th Jan 2006, 10:45
I've noticed that you have closed the aircraft polishing thread. You stated that was nothing more to discuss, while you'd be aware that many of us don't always get a chance every day to read the BB.

Why is there nothing more to discuss or have you (whichever one of you) never hand polished an aeroplane without the use of a mechanical buffer, instead of the the time honoured methods of using a cloth and elbow grease?

The reason there is more to discuss is that many GA operators who take a lot of pride in their fleet and who wouldn't let a mechanical buffer anywhere near their aircraft (for fear of actually damaging or stretching the sheet metal work due to the heat of a rotary buffing pad against the paint) are now in the position of deciding to either let their paint fade away in the desert sun or alternatively paying a "professional" to damage the aircraft a great deal more than a plain old polishing cloth and elbow grease would have?

What are your thoughts Woomera on the fact that a properly polished surface will resist the insidious effects of moisture able to penetrate the surface and certainly end-up placing the airframe at risk of an earlier retirement date than it would have if properly looked after appearance wise?

Has the regulator implemented the rule without a clear and concise wording that doesn't discriminate against those wishing to maintain a higher standard WRT appearances than "some" closer to the nucleus of the Regulator?
Nothing personal W, but by closing a thread like that what are you saying to the industry?

P|_azbot
18th Jan 2006, 11:24
When I was a youngun, i used to deliver pizzas in my 1978 Toyota Corolla. My best mate (and my best man at my wedding) worked at a servo. I used to drive by at 3 or 4 am on a weekend and we would hand wax that dirty old piece of **** till it sparkled while he worked the night shift. He now flies very large and expensive planes all over the place and I still cannot get the same finish that he and I once got. I demand he quits his job and opens a detailing business.

Woomera
18th Jan 2006, 12:42
OpsNormal

Exactly my point

I've noticed you probably haven't read the Instrument, because if you had you would have noticed that nowhere does it mention mechanical buffers or any other method for that matter.

There are a number of different methods, each peculiar to the aircraft type and material from which it is constructed.

Some is tolerant to amateur interpretation some is not.

Hence the requirement for the intervention of a suitably licensed engineer.

We don't need a lecture on the benefits and we both polished more aircraft than we care to remember AND have written the cheques for the consequences of amateur enthusiasm.

Has the regulator implemented the rule without a clear and concise wording that doesn't discriminate against those wishing to maintain a higher standard WRT appearances than "some" closer to the nucleus of the Regulator? is pure polemic.

We are saying to the industry, you cant get an Authority from PPRuNe go get it from someone who actually knows what he/she is talking about.

The argy bargy you will get from here is dangerous if misused Capiche.