PDA

View Full Version : Best Seats In Ba 747 400

ANOrak
18th Jan 2006, 08:03
I am sure this has been raised before but I can't find the answer - I am off to Cape Town at the end of February and flying "down the back" in a BA 747 400. Can anyone recommend the best seats for an online pre-book?
Thanks (in anticipation).
ANOrak

manintheback
18th Jan 2006, 08:04
www.seatguru.com

alemaobaiano
18th Jan 2006, 10:09
Having just done a trip on a BA 747-400 I would suggest that you try for rows 33-35. They are in a sort of mid-cabin and usually quiet. However, one word of caution, because the divider offers a fixing point for basinets, families with very small children will often get row 33. Whether that's a problem is up to you.
Tchau

apaddyinuk
18th Jan 2006, 11:02
Just make sure you have established whether your aircraft will be a High J (70 Club seats) or a Low J (38 Club seats) as this will significantly change the interior layout of Y forward of doors four!!!

spoilers yellow
18th Jan 2006, 11:17
1A and 1K are particularly comfortable!! ;)

Globaliser
18th Jan 2006, 15:55
Can anyone recommend the best seats for an online pre-book?I think that the low-yield configuration (38 Club seats) is normally used for CPT, if you're looking for seating charts.

What's best depends on what you want from your seat. What are your preferences? Remember that you're unlikely to get exit rows or bulkheads at this stage, but tell us what else you'd ideally like.

PAXboy
18th Jan 2006, 16:19
That is presuming ANOrak is on BA? Whilst that is the most likely, SAA also run the 744 on that route. ASFAIK, VS run the 343.

Globaliser
18th Jan 2006, 16:54
That is presuming ANOrak is on BA?The thread title and ANOrak's first post are a bit of a giveaway! ;)

Jordan D
18th Jan 2006, 18:05
Not sure what version of the 747 BA use on the route, but it can vary - last month flew out to CAI, out on the low yield (38 Club), back on the high yield (70 Club).

Jordan

jet vortex
19th Jan 2006, 16:10
Check out this site for good info on seats:

http://www.seatguru.com/index.php

apaddyinuk
19th Jan 2006, 18:17
Sorry Mike but a wee note beside your name in NO WAY will guarantee you an exit row seat...most airlines have strict rules regarding the allocation of these seats and BA are no exception!!! There is certainly not a little person in an office somewhere in BA checking for wee little notes on passenger profiles before a flight is open for checkin so they can allocate them an exit row!!!
In order to get an exit row you need to arrive VERY EARLY at the airport of departure (if you are through checking and you want the exit on the second flight you generally will have to ask the staff at the transit airport as the check agent at another airport will have no access to the exit row) and ask nicely. They are first come first served and will only be given as long as the check in agent is satisfied that you meet the conditions attached to these seats...e.g Fit, able bodied and willing to assist the crew in an emergency!!!
Now these seats are generally blocked from the system at checkin and need to be released by a supervisor! Perhaps the checkin agent did not feel you were adequate for the exit row!!! Hehehe!!! only joking!
So in a nutshell....if you want an exit row...ARRIVE MEGA EARLY!!! They generally are not even available for online checkin!!! :eek:

amanoffewwords
19th Jan 2006, 21:40
Back to the thread - I went to CPT last year with Mrs Words - we had the two seats together at the very back - generally thought it was fine but the route can be bumpy so felt like I was attached to a yoyo. If I had to do it again I'd try for something nearer the wing.

My 2€ anyway..

amofw

ps: mid-cabin at the top was pretty good too when I went on business once many moons ago :)

PAXboy
19th Jan 2006, 22:33
Gloabliser Looks like my Norwegian holiday still has my brain frozen. :=

ANOrak
20th Jan 2006, 15:15
Thank you all for your useful advice but don't stop if there is anything else I should consider. It is a BA flight and I think you are correct in that it is a low yield aircraft i.e. the 744.

ANOrak

Voeni
20th Jan 2006, 21:59
I always prefer the last rows, where there are only 2 seats on each side, it gives you a plenty of extra room (almost the size of a seat) on the window.

rotornut
21st Jan 2006, 19:37
I agree - the window seats at the rear are certainly among the best.

greenhaven
24th Jan 2006, 13:11
Echo sentiments on rear seats, but proximity to toilets means the queues tend to mean you lose any modicum of privacy - i had a bloke watching me play on my PSP for about 5 minutes, then asked for a go when i put it down!! Oh and watch the IFE boxes on the aisle rear seats on the right hand side (H/J IIRC) as they eat up a bit of legroom.