PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Flight Training

supernova3
17th Jan 2006, 13:53
Hey guys....am thinkn of training at Wings Flight Training at Palmerston North...anybody has a clue any feedback on this school is highly appreciated thankxxx

cheers!

Massey058
17th Jan 2006, 23:37
You should find this thread below helpful

Aeroclub Manawatu (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188111)

supernova3
19th Jan 2006, 13:30
Thanks so much for that thread, is there any1 who has trained at Palmerston North? someone who would have first hand information about the aircrafts, maintenance, training quality. On this topic I have understood that the instructor is highly knowledgeable but can somebody share real experiences of flying at WFT

supernova3
23rd Jan 2006, 12:51
Has anybody been to this WFT for training, I am currently out of NZ can someone please advise.

Many Thanks

XTurb
23rd Jan 2006, 17:42
Its effectively the training arm of the Manawatu Aero Club.

Has been given a much needed rejuvenation by an about-to-be A-Cat flight instructor. (A-Cat since 1978, just about to renew his A Cat in NZ).

Fleet: still in process of being set up. New purchases planned. The only aircraft of their's I've had a a close look at so far is a very tidy C-152 Aerobat.

Overall initial impression favourable.

CFI can be contacted: [email protected]

supernova3
24th Jan 2006, 10:02
if the fleet is still being setup that means it wouldnt be advisable to join this club for flight training till the training ops is set, is that correct?

XTurb
24th Jan 2006, 10:10
No, I wouldn't say that.
I should have said that they are planning to add to the fleet. Currently they are quite cable of providing training for the commercial pilot license. And are doing so.
In terms of being 'set up' they are in a transitionary phase going from aero club flight training to a separate training organisation, but still associated with the aero club.

C152R
24th Jan 2006, 10:31
Have you been following the discussion on the GA Award in OZ and its non-compliance. The number of pilots working in conditions tantamount to slavery.
Is NZ General Aviation similar? If it is, I hope for your sake you have good contacts in the Airlines. Because if you don't make it, it would have been a waste of effort & money.

supernova3
24th Jan 2006, 10:44
the club has 1 aerobat the C152 how diff. is this baby from the normal C152A. Also, are students enrolled currently? I have read up everywhere on the umpteen number of things to check before joining a flight school so am really confused & cant get to NZ just to check on the school:confused:

XTurb
24th Jan 2006, 10:50
An Aerobat is a C152A, as opposed to a standard C152 (non-Aerobat).

The C152A is approved for a few aerobatic manouevres that the C152 isn't. The C152A is reinforced in a few extra places to give it a higher G-loading limit. So normally a little heavier than a C152. C152A must have 3-point harness whereas C152 may only have standard shoulder harness or perhaps only waiststrap. Maybe a few other minor differences, not sure, but engine in C152A normally same as C152. 90 HP I think...? <<Edited: OK, 110 HP as per below. Thanks. >>

Sounds like you're doing your homework. Very wise!

supernova3
24th Jan 2006, 16:28
:) RATE OF CLIMB AT SL - 715FPM http://www.montair.com/images/gmaxexsm.jpg SERVICE CEILING 14,700FT T/O DISTANCE - 1390FT LANDING DISTANCE - 1215FT ENGINE - AVCO LYCOMING - 110BHP AT 2550RPM PROPELLER - FIXED PITCH - 69IN DIAMETER

supernova3
25th Jan 2006, 12:27
Is it wise to join a flying school on the basis of a excellent flight instructor, I thought there were so many other contributing factors to excellent quality training? if there are no aircrafts how will 1 train in the first place? a thought to chew on..:rolleyes:

XTurb
25th Jan 2006, 21:45
No. Of course there are lots of things to consider other than an excellent instructor.

As far as I know Wings Flight Training has two of their own single engine training aircraft, which is sufficient for the volume of training they are doing at present. Plus they have access to other aircraft based at Palmerston Airport for training if they ened. And they are due to add two more single engine and one twin engine aircraft to their fleet to cater for the increased volume of training they expect to do this year.

supernova3
26th Jan 2006, 13:16
alright the intructor is the best in NZ no doubt...but where is the training gonna happen... in a sim??:confused:

If someone is aware of the situation at manawatu...please let me know...are they really setting up...is it advisable to go there after like 6 months or would it take longer...these are factors which need to be kept in mind before joining a school...btw i had jotted down couple of q's for the chief...not a single q was answered

1. How many aircrafts does Wings Flight Training own?
2. Is the fees a fixed amount?
3. How many hours on a minimum will be assured in the course?
4. Examination fees, landing fees, medicals, accomodation, training equipment - headsets, charts, uniforms, books, reference material, etc; are these all covered in the fees mentioned?
5. How many students are currently training at the club?
6. What is the instructor-student ratio?
7. What is an ideal day like for a student pilot at Wings Flight Training?
8. What are the weather conditions like, heard that Palmerston North has very very high humidity & has predominantly wet weather all year through?
9. Does the club have accomodation for students?
10. What is the cost of renting an apartment close to the club?
11. How far is the school from general work places in Palmerston North, essentially how far is the school from the Central Business District?
12. What kind of work is available in the Palmerston area?
13. Is it possible for students to gain employment at the club as flight instructor after the training or other schools/clubs in the neighbouring areas?
14. Is the flight training theory oriented like the Australian CPL?
15. How many hours of ground classes will be done in a day?
16. What is the examination pattern, # of subjects, # of attempts, stages of passing the exams, etc?
17. Aircraft types owned by the club?
18. Number of students passed out in 2005 with a valid CPL licence?
19. Since how long has Wings Flight Training been in existence?
20. Is the number of flying hours calculated from the time the engines are started, is the taxiing time calculated as Palmerston North is a busy international airport, therefore ATC clearance could take time?

With all due respect to the CFI ...these are BASIC things which a student is supposed to know before joining up & ofcourse the exp. of the instructor is very very important but the other factors are equally imp. as well:sad: the only response ws that an exp. of 12000hrs on 20 types ..

WebWrat
7th Feb 2006, 17:54
Have a look here SN3

http://www.nelson-aviation.co.nz/

These guys have been in the training business for years and have a good reputation. They will take you right thru from whoa to go ... student to ATPL. They also have approval to do 150 hour commercials.

Cheers

heathmac1
8th Feb 2006, 00:37
If you are sold on the manawatu then check out the above www.flighttrainingmanawatu.co.nz. They offer full time training and are set up to offer student funding. Currently they offer 2 152's, 3 172's (2 IF capable), C177RG, and a partenavia for multi