PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

Justin Ryan
17th Jan 2006, 00:40
Hi everyone
Could someone please clarify what CAT A, CAT B, CAT C and CAT D represtent on an approach chart? Is it the same as CAT I, CAT II etc?
Thanks!

Send Clowns
17th Jan 2006, 00:46
These are performance categories. Based on 1.3 times the stall speed in approach configuration (1.3 x VS0). Light aircraft will be cat A,the heaviest civvy aircraft cat D and military fast jets might be cat E.

Justin Ryan
17th Jan 2006, 00:50
Ah OK. Thanks for your help.

Tight Slot
17th Jan 2006, 01:37
hmmm, not quite correct - all depends on the approach speed - ie a B757-300 is a Cat D, where as an A330 is a Cat C, slower apprch speed you see. All avail in the Jepp or Aerad books...

have trust, have trust

TS

pilot-320
17th Jan 2006, 02:09
trust and thrust!!!!!!! god help us

Send Clowns
17th Jan 2006, 08:49
No problem Justin.

Tight slot - and approach speed is determined at least in part by VREF, which is 1.3 x VS0, so what you say is equivalent although I think you are wrong in the specifics. It is reference speed not approach speed (which might be higher) that is the determining speed.

If you look at the JAA ATPL suyllabus what I said was entirely correct. I admit that doesn't necessarily mean it is correct, but given the forum it probably means it is the best answer, and since yours is equivalent I still don't think I have been shown to be wrong. I did not teach performance so I could not say so definitively, but I did teach ATPL flight planning, and in the Jeppesen manual we used was a table of categories - all based on 1.3 x VS0.

Justin Ryan
17th Jan 2006, 09:37
Ok thanks guys. Just one more question. For an IFR flight plan I have been told to put a relevant cross in the associated sections indicating emergency radios and any emergency equipment. Does this 'cross' indicate you have the item or not?
Thanks again.
Justin

FlightDetent
17th Jan 2006, 11:15
The for is copied to the computer "as it is", study it and you will see the result comes out as (FPL-GABC-IG-C170-.... so you cross out all that does not apply.

But better yet, ask the officer next time you submit one.
Yours,
FD
(the un-real)