PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Beach Patrols

fullflaps
16th Jan 2006, 22:31
With all the shark dramas in other states, it appears that the old debate on the Sydney beach patrols are on the agenda again. The State Government is going to hold a debate on the situation in a couple of months to see the viability of aircraft verses shark nets. The get together is going to happen at the end of the summer season, so it will all die a natural death in the public's mind by next summer.
There was even a mumble of using helicopters for the patrols as they are more efficient then fixed wing on the patrols, and the Westpac Rescue conducting patrols was mentioned in the news but the price structure was against using a BK117. :* :*
This would leave "H" from Wollongong hitting the public domain again to try to get the finances to get his very own helicopter. Get ready for those phone calls selling tickets for your very own chance to win a Harley. :E :E
FF:ok:

shortandsmelly
17th Jan 2006, 06:07
I was very surprised it took so long for anyone to post up here... ol' HM has been prolific in newspapers over the last few weeks bleating for funding.

Wouldn't it be nice if the instructors down there got more flying out of it!!!:zzz:

Ultralights
17th Jan 2006, 06:39
for $200,000 i can provide 2 brand new Jabiru Aircraft, and pay 2 pilots $50,000 Pa to cover the coast from newcastle to Shoalhaven, all year round! and at 70 have a greater chance of spotting white pointer, in and out of the water!

engine out
18th Jan 2006, 08:50
There certainly has been a lot of coverage in the news about aerial shark patrols. Personally I am not to sure of the value though am all for paid employment of pilots (not voluntary flying). I did read something ages ago about a report from a University that studied aerial patrols in WA and found them of limited use (unfortunately can not find reference to it on the net at the moment). My argument against them is mainly that the planes do not prevent the sharks from returning once they move on. Also what is the probability that there will be an aircraft in the air at the exact moment and the exact time of a shark attack. Lastly we choose to go into the water, the shark does not-he lives there.

P|_azbot
18th Jan 2006, 08:55
Interesting the shark drama in Qld is the first death in many many decades. OMG BIRD FLU MADE THE SHARKS GET SARS AND SEND WMD AT THE ILLEGALS!!

gum boots
18th Jan 2006, 11:54
What would happen to poor old H if the government decided to give him the funding required. Who would be liable then if for example the aircraft flew over a beach and the observers (if looking and not being pilots or photographers) did not notice any sharks on a beach and then 5 minutes later a fatal shark attack occured.

Surely the greek brothers HM and WG could not afford to be sued and bleed bankrupt again.

Why is HM asking for $100,000 for 4 months of shark patrols when he only asked for $100,00 for a full season last time.

Milking the cash cow while the shark topic is alive.

It would be interesting to read the actual statistics of the AAP shark sightings, and what percentage of the killer sharks are not the cute little hammer heads.

Aquaboy
19th Jan 2006, 08:02
He ain't going to get the money he keeps bleating that he needs to restart the operations on the Sydney beaches.:eek:
Word has it a long time ago that he had ruffled some pretty big chickens in a certain political Party and that the isicles are going to form in a very hot place before he gets two bob from the powers that handle the purse strings and decisions. :{ :{

TLAW
19th Jan 2006, 11:03
Surely if the shark patrols were seen as being of a benefit to the community, a request-for-tender should be put out, rather than handing over $100k to the first bloke that asks for it?

RWJackOfAllTrades
22nd Jan 2006, 14:03
This old argument raised its ugly head yet again. A couple very unfortunate and tragic shark attacks and this clown and his organisation goes right to the public arena with a plea for help so he and his group of weekend warriers can save the world with their 5 second pass overs of the coastline. What a joke?

Do the sums? You fly a plane up and down the beach and cover any particular area for 5-10 seconds and then move on. Are you telling me that, becuase the aircraft flew over the top once or twice a day, the sharks are going to be scared off? PLEASE? Commonsense prevailing, 10-20 seconds of coverage in any 24 hour period is a waste of time. But for these unfortunate bunch of guys/girls, its a way of justifying a pathetic existance. Planes or helicopters, their is NO WAY such a service can be justified.

Really, there is no benefit in this argument and if anyone can justify this turkey farmer's constant plea for money from the government, please let me know...and the unfortunate people who have worked there before in the past who sold their souls in order to gain experience and help a so-called community service....I have heard the stories from a good friend who worked there for a few years and I can just say one thing - the sooner these people are put out of business, the better. The head honcho at this organisation is a bonafide shonk through and through - the type who would push his own mother over if he stood to make a penny or two. It certainly raises questions as to what really happens with the money that goes there....no doubt, a few more expensive sports cars for some who are fortunate to stay and put up with the crap.

Only suggestion I have is for some large version of electronic shark repellant device to be developed and moored offshore - similar to the ones divers wear underwater. NO red and yellow plane is going to save an attack - swimming in the water is a risk we take - we're in the shark's domain and accept the risk by entering the water. FYI - you have more chance of winning lotto than being fatally attacked by a shark! Think about it!!!