PDA

View Full Version : Wait for licence?

TLAW
16th Jan 2006, 19:27
I have been currently waiting 12 weeks for my PPL to arrive from CASA. I spoke to them on the phone and have been told that they are waiting for my security clearance to arrive from ASIO :* I am an Australian citizen, without any criminal record or anything like that an I already have clearances with a few Government departments, so no obvious problem there.

Has anyone out there been waiting, or waited, longer than that? Seems like a long time to wait for a scrap of printed paper.

Di_Vosh
16th Jan 2006, 20:16
Yeah mate,

I've given up counting the weeks, but it's been since early November that the paperwork for my IFR renewal went in, and I've not received my new licence yet!

This is after two phone calls, and a fax sent in to CASA (along with a photocopy of the sticker in my log book).

When I last spoke to the guy in Canberra, he told me that ALL processing is now done there (not at the regional branches anymore) and that there was a three month backlog of issues.

I renewed my medical on the 12th of January, and am not holding my breath for the new one.

The best part of all this, is now I have the priveledge of paying for the delay!
:*

DIVOSH!

Defenestrator
16th Jan 2006, 21:39
Geez, I did a medical in March and a renewal in November and have not received a thing from CASA. Makes ya wonder how smart it was to remove the licensing officers from the regional branches. Where I live we had the services of one of the greatest guys in licensing in the country. When his responsibilities were removed it marked a sad day for CASA. People with a knowledge of the regs, like John has, are few and far between. This must be contributing to the processing problems that are being experienced.

essbee
16th Jan 2006, 21:55
Did a medical back in september, submitted details for a atpl photo licence and still heard nothin'. I havn't even bothered with a asic, I figured a photo licence might get me through the next couple of months. Jeeeeeeeeez.
I noticed a company advertising in the latest crash comic about doing them, does anybody know anything as to cost, delay etc ?

ms747
19th Jan 2006, 03:26
hey all

seems casa is really inconsistent i renewed my medical in december and low and behold i actually got it in the mail last week, i couldnt believe it. My brother who got hsi ppl in september still has not received his licence from casa, every time he calls they just say its still in security, pass the blame to another gov organisation.

I ring them weekly about my ASIC application which i put in over 2 months ago, they took the money already which im not happy about. they say the chekcs take 6-8 weeks well ive waited that long already. I wish they would get their act together.

what a joke!

Capt Claret
19th Jan 2006, 04:45
You should be thankful you haven't been carted of to some detention camp while they check you up the wazoo! :mad: :yuk: :yuk:

Woomera
19th Jan 2006, 05:09
Wazoo? INDEED, Clarrie:}

Geez, I did a medical in March and a renewal in November and have not received a thing from CASA.
Did a medical back in september, submitted details for a atpl photo licence and still heard nothin'.

I hope you folk aren't flying without valid medicals, because without the NEW bit of paper from CASA, you are:rolleyes:

Woomera(Eastern States)

Time Bomb Ted
19th Jan 2006, 05:15
It would be a brave FOI or god forbid, a judge that would take action against you because CASA can't get their %^$ together.

Your stamped medical from the DAME would do. Anything after the month grace given by the stamp should be CASA's problem, not yours. As long as everything on the medical was ok that is.

TBT

Hugh Jarse
19th Jan 2006, 09:37
Ted,
The stamped thingy expires after a month. There may be another reason for the delay. Lemme explain:rolleyes:

Quite a few years ago, I went to a new (for me) DAME to renew my medical. For the purpose of this post, we'll call him Dr. Fastjet-McLegend (the world's self-proclaimed best fast jet pilot, who graduated from the Empire Test Pilots' School, all around great bloke and irresistable to women,:yuk: just ask him)

During the examination, he asked me "Hey Jarse, what's that scar...etc?" I honestly explained how it got there (never had any dramas with previous DAMES, and had nothing to hide), and that I'd been in remission for 8 years. He appeared to have no problems with my explanation and told me at the end that the medical was fine.......

Now CASA, to their credit, usually process these things quite efficiently:suspect: but when my slip hadn't arrived in the mail (the Chief Pilot hassling me), I rang CASA to chase up the errant medical. Imagine the disbelief when the clerk told me "Sorry Mr. Jarse, we won't be renewing your Class 1 until such time as we investigate Dr. Fastjet-McLegend's concerns about your previous medical condition". That's the first I'd fuggin heard of it:mad: .

Needless to say I was quite pissed at the cowardice of this alleged DAME :mad: (and let him know so), but I had to prove that I was fit - not CASA prove I was unfit:mad: . So I had to arrange supporting documentation from my surgeon to prove I was fit. Luckily I could do ground duties while this debacle was sorted.

I learned 3 things from the experience:

Aust Post often runs late, but it may not be the reason your medical is late. Get on the phone;
Never trust anyone who attempt to pass themselves off as the world's best fast jet pilot and DAME:yuk: ;
If you have a medical condition that you have even the slightest doubt about: ALWAYS get a second opinion. It may save your career, but even more importantly, your life.Gidday. 23 years of remission and still going strong:ok:

Pinky the pilot
20th Jan 2006, 00:19
The stamped thingy expires after a month The DAME who did my medical back in mid November must have anticipated this backlog because he validated it for three months!!
It is all rather academic however as I'm not currently employed and the future appears somewhat grim at the moment.:uhoh:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Time Bomb Ted
20th Jan 2006, 00:28
Good on you for beating it Hugh. My father in-law was diagnosed with Cancer and was given a month to live. 12 years later it took a stupid truck driver to wipe him and his lovely wife off the face of the planet. He used to say that if he stopped working, the big C would get him.

I've had a similar problem with my medical over a kidney stone. 4 years of proving I don't have another one before they removed the CASA renew only bit from my medical. Not cheap I can tell you.

All that said, I do feel sorry for CASA as this was thrust on them by Cabinet. How they instigated it is the problem however.

TBT