PDA

View Full Version : How does CX compare to FedEx, UPS?

CloudSailor
16th Jan 2006, 17:42
Hello there,
I'm wondering if anyone of you at CX who have friends working at FedEx or UPS know how these airlines compare to each other. Obviously, CX is not a freight-only operation, but how do you think these companies compare as far as pay, quality of life, progression, etc?
I have a second interview coming up for CX and love the idea of living in HKG for a while with my wife, while getting temp. basings in AUS, US, etc..., but also have a possible interview coming up with FedEx and would appreciate some comments and suggestions from you who are in the know.

frankg
18th Jan 2006, 01:30
I don't think UPS or FedEx has ever fired 50 pilots in one day just because they thought they could. Either US carrier would probably be a better overall career. Most of the FedEx guys I have spoken to seem quite happy with their jobs.

cpdude
18th Jan 2006, 02:38
It's hard to compare an overseas contract job with a career at a place like UPS or FedEx.:confused:

Although CX is one of the best contract jobs available, that is still what it is and with only 3 months notice or pay in lieu of notice you can be gone.:(

If you have an in at either UPS or FedEx then go for it, otherwise CX is not too bad.;)

christep
18th Jan 2006, 16:28
It's hard to compare an overseas contract job with a career at a place like UPS or FedEx.:confused:
Although CX is one of the best contract jobs available, that is still what it is and with only 3 months notice or pay in lieu of notice you can be gone.Simply as an outsider (so I apologise for the intrusion, and please ignore the rest of this post if how the outside world views this is of no interest to you) I find this interesting. I know of very few jobs where you have any meaningful security beyond 1 or 3 months notice these days. That to me is a "normal" employment contract. "Contract jobs", as understood in all the areas of business I have worked, have been for a fixed term with reduced benefits (probably no pension, often no paid holiday). As far as I am aware, flying crew jobs with Cathay are permanent employment in the sense that this is generally understood. As with any other "permanent" job, you have a job as long as you are competent at it at the company needs your skills. In all the businesses I know if you are better than average then you may get promoted; many airlines seem to be unusual in that you simply need to be competent and have been doing the job for a certain length of time to get promoted - this is very unusual in other fields these days.

Is it a generally shared view that jobs with Cathay are "contract jobs" rather than a career? I get the impression that many of the flight crew have been around for what I would regard as a "career" length of time.

Mr. Bloggs
19th Jan 2006, 06:56
No Christep, that’s management.