PDA

View Full Version : Radio Telephony

DC-10 Levo
16th Jan 2006, 16:10
A while back I did work experience at an airfield. I spent most of my time in the tower giving out information which I loved. The guy that was in the tower with me told me to do it as a job you need a "radio telephony skill". I've checked around and the only thing I can find is the radio telephony skill you get when doing your PPL. Is this correct? Is there anyway you can obtain this skill without going through your PPL?

Thanks,

Ash

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jan 2006, 16:13
Air Traffic Controllers are trained to use RT correctly - and regularly checked during their careers. Last time I visited the pilot's shop at Fairoaks did I see some sort of CD R/T training programme? Maybe..

DC-10 Levo
16th Jan 2006, 17:29
The airfield had Air Traffic Information Service, no ATC. I tried emailing them to see if there was a course you could do to obtain the skill but got no response.

perusal
16th Jan 2006, 18:09
Read CAP452...

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=44

Spitoon
16th Jan 2006, 20:27
Or if you are interested in Flight Information Service this would be even better - http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=39.

A word of advice though, don't make too much mention of talking on the radio when you were doing work experience - it's agin the law without a FISO licencce or, at least, an R/T Certificate of Competence!

DC-10 Levo
16th Jan 2006, 21:58
Point taken :) .

Thanks for the links!

no slots
17th Jan 2006, 15:56
DC10-Levo

Hello there,
I'm an R/T examiner.There is a simple test you can do to gain a certificate of competence without the need to study for a PPL.It consists of a written multi guess paper followed by an across the desk verbal assessment.Unfortunately not all examiners can provide this test.PM me if you would like to know more.

DC-10 Levo
18th Jan 2006, 15:43
PM sent.
Thanks.

perusal
18th Jan 2006, 18:48
If you are interested, a list of Examiners approved by the CAA to conduct Air/Ground Radio Operators is available here http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=2122 but I don't think it's updated very often!

When I did mine it was no longer multiple choice but it might have changed back since. By the way the A/G Certificate of Competence is a pre-requisite for the FISO licence.

360BakTrak
18th Jan 2006, 21:34
Across the desk verbal assessment? I don't think Mr Grierson would be too impressed if that were how the tests were conducted!!!:} :E

DC-10 Levo
19th Jan 2006, 10:40
By the way the A/G Certificate of Competence is a pre-requisite for the FISO licence.

Does that mean you need to get a certificate of competence, then you go for the FISO licence to be able to work at an airfield?

chevvron
19th Jan 2006, 11:19
You don't actually need and A/G certificate for the FISO licence, but if you get one, it means the licence can be issued when you pass the FISO written, otherwise you have to wait for the licence until you pass the competency check with the FISO Examiner. Alternatively, pass the FISO written then ask an A/G Examiner for a practical test, and send the result to CAA; they should then send you the licence. I did this with a guy whose FISO licence hadn't been used for about 5 years, and it worked.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jan 2006, 12:13
<<There is a simple test you can do to gain a certificate of competence without the need to study for a PPL.It consists of a written multi guess paper followed by an across the desk verbal assessment>>

Good God! John Terras, the Operations Officer, who tested me for and issued my VHF Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence back in the early 60s would turn in his grave if he read that! Back in the days when Pontius was a pilot the test involved a longish session in a basic simulator, flying a specified route, during which certain R/T calls had to be made including those for emergencies, direction finding and other novelties. This was followed by a considerable debrief and oral examination of one's knowledge. The exam for the HF ticket was considerably more complex.

no slots
19th Jan 2006, 12:21
Across the desk verbal assessment? I don't think Mr Grierson would be too impressed if that were how the tests were conducted!!!:} :E
The certificate of competence actually has nothing to do with Mr Grierson.It is regulated by SRG ATS lisensing and that is the required method of testing.

360BakTrak
19th Jan 2006, 14:36
Just being picky!.........as the candidate and examiner are obviously sitting at different desks in different rooms! (I'm bored at work!:} )

2 sheds
19th Jan 2006, 16:10
If you are interested, a list of Examiners approved by the CAA to conduct Air/Ground Radio Operators is available here http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=2122 but I don't think it's updated very often!

When I did mine it was no longer multiple choice but it might have changed back since. .

Oh yes it is updated!

Correct, but I hope it might become - sensible - multi-choice again!