PDA

View Full Version : Air Force VS Self Experience??

pilotdude09
16th Jan 2006, 15:24
Howdy,

Im now at the 'Point' of my life where i need to decide what to do.

First of all i have been told by a recruitment officer from ADFA that i would have more chance getting into the NZ Air Force as i was born in NZ and Have lived in NZ up to 3 years ago and that the Australia AF prefers australian born people. How true that is i dont know.

I dont know if i would want to be in the airforce but the traing gets paid for and you get great experience and may even get to kill a few people while your at it:eek:

On the other hand, Do all the training my self get a charter gig work up here for a few years before applying to the majors like QF, DJ, JQ etc.

-What do the Airlines prefer, you paying for it yourself and working your ass off or being in the airforce having it all paid for you?

-What hours does one require to be looked at by DJ and JQ?

-Would a type rating help? 737, A320, 787:p ?

There are different senarios that i have played around with:
Becoming a F/A then im in an airline and may be easier, what the chances of becoming a pilot in this situation? (i am in customer service currentley)

Going to NZ and flying there for a couple of years out of DUD and then applying for the link airlines, mt cook, eagle, air nelson etc.

Im not going to bother trying to go for a cadetship, because there is absolutley no way that i would get one of them becasue my education doesnt meet their requirements.

I hope someone can answer these questions as it would help a great deal then i can hopefully know where im better off.

Thanks in advance,

MOR
16th Jan 2006, 15:30
may even get to kill a few people while your at it

Feel free to remain in Australia...

Lord Snot
16th Jan 2006, 17:36
Yes stay in Auts if you want to kill because the kiwi AF don't have anything that shoots anymore. Helen Ork sold them all for a 757 and a VIP Aztec.

Re: Air Force VS Self Experience??

What do you want to do, fly or pull ya pud????

My Judgement

You should not be anywhere near an airplane, except maybe in the role you mentioned, of sandwich-maker.

You appear to have no clue about why anyone ever decides to become a pilate.

kmagyoyo
16th Jan 2006, 20:37
Im not going to bother trying to go for a cadetship, because there is absolutley no way that i would get one of them becasue my education doesnt meet their requirements.

Well guess that counts out the Air Force as well then :rolleyes: Go join the French Foreign Legion, I hear they kill heaps of people.

eagle 86
16th Jan 2006, 20:52
Your Callsign says it all - you wouldn't last ten minutes in any of the Armed Services I'm familiar with - my advice to you would be to stay well away from aviation!
GAGS E86

Captain Sand Dune
16th Jan 2006, 21:42
Mate, you've got a LOT of growing up to do before my Air Force would want to recruit someone with your attitude to fly mutli-million dollar pieces of hardware.

VH AMF
16th Jan 2006, 22:53
10.5 years if you want to join the RAAF.
I suggest you do private flying, 'if' your interested in it.

troppo
16th Jan 2006, 23:05
"When New Zealanders emigrate to Australia, the average IQ of both countries increases"

Sir Robert Muldoon

:}

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2006, 23:10
Re: Air Force VS Self Experience??
What do you want to do, fly or pull ya pud????
I always thought, Air Force = Self Experience!!;) http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/lolup.gif

Angels_370
16th Jan 2006, 23:27
Captain Sand got it in one. You definitely need a reality check. If you don't have the education to apply for a cadetship, there is no way you will pass all the entry exams into the air force. As for being an F/A-18 pilot that requires dedication, quick reflexes, 3D problem solving and the list just goes on. Not to mention the F/A-18 is about as complex as a 737.

It sounds as if you are trying to make this decision without finding out a lot about each path. My advice, talk top the guys at your local flying school, go for an introduction flight with them, ask the air force reps about the application procedure and the flight screening. The more people you talk to the better.

All the best

Magoodotcom
16th Jan 2006, 23:47
i have been told by a recruitment officer from ADFA that i would have more chance getting into the NZ Air Force as i was born in NZ and Have lived in NZ up to 3 years ago and that the Australia AF prefers australian born people. How true that is i dont know.

A former F-111 nav and recently appointed ADC to CDF is a recent Kiwi. :oh:

StallsandSpins
17th Jan 2006, 00:49
First of all i have been told by a recruitment officer from ADFA that i would have more chance getting into the NZ Air Force as i was born in NZ and Have lived in NZ up to 3 years ago and that the Australia AF prefers australian born people. How true that is i dont know.

is this true? i applied to the airforce/army and navy a while a go and was rejected. i'm still not sure why, i know i meet the education (im an aeronautical engineer) and fitness/medical requirements.Could part of the rejection have been based on the fact that i was born in the United States?

AerocatS2A
17th Jan 2006, 01:21
More likely that although you met the requirements, there were other applicants who were better.

To the OP, there is no point joining the Air Force just to improve your chances with the airlines. You need to join because that is what you want to do. And I think you'll find that you don't really need to make a choice, just apply for the RNZAF or the RAAF and they'll make the choice for you.

Airlines don't care where you learnt to fly as long as you meet their minimum requirements.

Aussie
17th Jan 2006, 01:25
pass-a-frozo.... care to comment?

pakeha-boy
17th Jan 2006, 04:02
Sadly.....another example of someone on drugs....I rest my case!!!..PB

Ando1Bar
17th Jan 2006, 04:38
There is no easy way in this industry. Do the training, do your time in GA then do your time in some airline interviews. The Air Force doesn't sound like the way for you - you join the Air Force if you want to be an Air Force pilot, not a airline pilot.

Some time in GA may get you back to reality and actually quicker to the airlines (10.5 years as AMF quoted is a long time in the Air Force). By the time you get out you be approaching 30, the airlines like to be able to groom you from as early as possible.

>>What hours does one require to be looked at by DJ and JQ?<<
You'll need to do more research, but on Virgin's website in the past they've needed over 1000 hours command as well as multi-engine time.

>>Would a type rating help? 737, A320, 787?<<
May do, you sound like you've got a fair bit of disposable income so why not? It's bit different to flight sim though.

pilotdude09
17th Jan 2006, 04:43
i dont really want to join the airforce anyway, i just wanted to see if the airlines prefered that over doing it your self.

Im already training at my flying school with a few hours under my belt, going to get my private licence in september. My education is correct to get into qantas but then you have all the private school students that have gone to the best schools etc and i think they will look at them over a public school student or maybe not all i can do is apply.

Lord Snot:
Yes stay in Auts if you want to kill because the kiwi AF don't have anything that shoots anymore
No i dont want to kill people, you obviously dont understand sarcasm:rolleyes:

Ando1Bar
17th Jan 2006, 04:55
This may be getting off the topic, but private school kids have no advantage over public school kids. Just study hard in school (a pass is a pass no matter where you go to school) and put 100% into your flying.

If you're serious about getting to the airlines, don't get a long-term girlfriend until you find someone who is prepared to move around the country with you. Then when you're captain for Qantas some hostie while abroad will no doubt take your fancy, unless you're already divorced. Hmmm...off topic again.

Pass-A-Frozo
17th Jan 2006, 06:02
Don't be too hard on the lad over the "kill people" comment. No doubt said in jest.

As for Air Force, if you ask HI'er it's a sheltered workshop and the easy life so he'd say Air Force. :D

Seriously though, you'll do some great flying you won't get to do in civvie land regardless of what aircraft you go to off pilots course. But don't tell recruiting you want an airline job, and only tell them you want to go hornets or they won't want you. :)
The flying is great fun, and you'll enjoy it. You'll find what you want now is very different to what you want at 35 anyway.

Air Force = no bill and you get a million or so training whilst getting paid (or whatever the amount is up to).

G'day Aussie :)

Time Bomb Ted
17th Jan 2006, 06:32
You are having a lend of us aren't you PilotDude??

Their is no way in heavan U have a grade 12 edcation. Sum of youre stuff just dosn't make sence.

"or maybe not all i can do is apply" What the heck does that mean?

You are going to have to do better than that.

TBT

water wings
17th Jan 2006, 06:44
A former F-111 nav and recently appointed ADC to CDF is a recent Kiwi.
And a very nice women at that.

AerocatS2A
17th Jan 2006, 09:07
"or maybe not all i can do is apply" What the heck does that mean?
You are going to have to do better than that.
TBT

Gee it's not that hard. "...or maybe not, all I can do is apply." Does that help?

pilotdude09
17th Jan 2006, 12:49
Gee it's not that hard. "...or maybe not, all I can do is apply." Does that help?
Thanks, atleast one person can read:)

TIME BOMB TED:
No i dont have YEAR 12 education, i have YEAR 11 education im going into year 12 this year and F.Y.I i got all B's in every subject.

Thanks to those who are HELPING, all i wanted was answers to simple questions but obviously some :mad:s around here dont want to help instead they criticise everything people say and do.

Barberspole-5
17th Jan 2006, 15:20
Goodluck pilot dude. At the end of the day all types of flying has its pros n cons. Airforce pilots have fun as do airline pilots. The airforce is extremely competetive, however the testing process would be a good experience at the very least. Give the RAAF a shot, learn what you can from the selection process if ur successful excellent, if not, slog it out in GA. Don't be discouraged from the jaded pr!cks on this forum. If presented with an opportunity -take it.
BP

Time Bomb Ted
18th Jan 2006, 01:03
Pilotdude.

It is called attention to detail. It's what will keep you ALIVE in this industry. If you are as tardy with your grammar as what you are with your flight planning, learn to drive a bus.

There is nothing stopping you from a fruitful flying career, however you must present yourself better.

Over to you.

TBT

AerocatS2A
18th Jan 2006, 01:42
Come off it Time Bomb Ted, I know many pilots who are as professional as they come but put a keyboard in front of them and they have little idea how to construct a sentence.

How PilotDude expresses himself on this message board is going to have zero influence on his career. How he expresses himself at a job interview or in a written application obviously will however.

Time Bomb Ted
18th Jan 2006, 02:01
That is my point exactly Aerocat. I've had plenty of resume's across my desk with spelling mistakes and bad grammar. They all end up in the same place. File B1N.

Unfortunately if you want to be hired by QF or others, the brainy bunch in the Psych section will do the same thing I would.

Only 1 in 25 applications to QF have the required Minimums.
Only 1 in 10 of those get to interview
Only 1 in 4 of them a job.

Now QF look for core competencies. They are:
Deciding
Systems Operating
Communicating
Team Managing
Self Control and Drive
Commanding and
Overview.

Have all them and you are in.

So pilotdude you have some work to do.

TBT

pakeha-boy
18th Jan 2006, 02:58
TBT....you are so right mate,when these young fella,s mess with the BULL,they have to take the horns once in a while,and rightly so.!!!

Pilotdude....I,m a little past the "year 12" sh#t,but there are many here who are more than willing to help you,maybe you should listen up,and lay off the macho bull#$%t......raho pakeha

VH AMF
18th Jan 2006, 06:09
That is my point exactly Aerocat. I've had plenty of resume's across my desk with spelling mistakes and bad grammar. They all end up in the same place. File B1N.

Unfortunately if you want to be hired by QF or others, the brainy bunch in the Psych section will do the same thing I would.

Now QF look for core competencies. They are:
Deciding
Systems Operating
Communicating
Team Managing
Self Control and Drive
Commanding and
Overview.

Have all them and you are in.

So pilotdude you have some work to do.

TBT

Are these statistics true? Or is it the other way around? So do more people get jobs, than those that get interviews??:confused:

whaet
18th Jan 2006, 06:22
ooooh,
AMF, might want to think that one through once more mate....
whaet

VH AMF
18th Jan 2006, 06:29
Sorry, I truly don't understand it...
Explanation...:ugh:

whaet
18th Jan 2006, 06:34

Say 1000 applications,
1 in 25, in this case, 40 will have the minimums
of the 40, 4 will get an interview,
of the 4, 1 will get the job

Dont worry about these figures - they seem very ballpark and im certain they accept more than 1 out of 1000 - anyone know the real figures?

whaet

Lord Snot
18th Jan 2006, 08:08
And.......... of any 10 that get the job:

9 will one day become the image of their forebears, grumpy, cranky bitter, unpleasant old farts whom no one wants to fly with - 747-400 captains.

7 will be on their 3rd wife

6 will attempt to clamber up the greasy pole to a management position, despite being the epitome of the totally unsuitable applicant.

(3 of them will make it to management but 2 will be utterly reviled.)

2 will lose "everything" in shonky tax-driven scams.

and 1 will retire happily at about 60, a balanced individual who will never ever want to even see another airliner for the rest of his remaining 3 years.

Hugh Jarse
18th Jan 2006, 08:24
Snot,

I nearly wet my pants1:ok: :} :} :}

Regards from Vyvyan:cool:

VH AMF
21st Jan 2006, 06:29

Say 1000 applications,
1 in 25, in this case, 40 will have the minimums
of the 40, 4 will get an interview,
of the 4, 1 will get the job

Dont worry about these figures - they seem very ballpark and im certain they accept more than 1 out of 1000 - anyone know the real figures?

whaet
:ooh:
Oh, right, thought they were seperate figures.
okalidokaly...:ok:

disco_air
22nd Jan 2006, 09:04
You talk about the Air Force like it's an alternative to going to a flying school to get qualified for an airline job...... :hmm:

You can't expect to have a chance at getting into an organisation that you give so little respect or credit to! Much less your motivation to get through the incredibly difficult training in the RAAF would also be questionable if all you saw it as was a way to go to DJ or JQ!!!

Do a bit more homework (and growing up) mate.

...Disco

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Jan 2006, 09:21
Come on Disco. Maybe he read HI'er's post talking about military aviation as a sheltered workshop and not a real job. Sounds pretty easy to get into and get through from what he said! :p

botero
22nd Jan 2006, 20:10
Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely),

I am afraid that you all have neglected to realise that it is school holidays and there is many a bored teenager sitting at home surfing the net. As such I would suggest not using too much energy in being outraged at such a poor attitude as Pilotdude has displayed towards flying with his post. Just let him enjoy his holidays and the boards will all calm down again come back to school time.