PDA

View Full Version : CPL Air Law Question

SB4200
16th Jan 2006, 10:14
I'm studying for the CLWA exam at the moment and would appreciate a response to a couple of questions if possible with respect to CAR 2(7)(d) which refers to types of private operations.
Point (i) refers to the "personal transportation of the owner of the aircraft". What is the definition of personal transportation? Does it mean the transportation of the owner alone? Does "personal transportation" mean I (with a CPL) could be flying the owner and five of his friends around and receiving a wage so long as it is an exclusive club (ie: personal)?
What about point (v): "the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot, owner or the hirer of the aircraft"
Whoa slow down egg head! :uhoh: Does that mean that I as pilot can earn a quid for transporting the owners valencia oranges becauses he means to sell them but not charge to take the owners employees who are going to sell them?
What about if i'm bob the builder and i have need to regularly transport a few of my staff to jobs. I buy a 210, hire a pilot full time and when i need him he flies my employees to work sites to make me a buck. What kind of operation is this? Can this be classed as private so long as it's not available to anyone else even though i'm obviously not 'sharing' the costs with my pilot? To the naked eye it would appear to be a private op as it's only available to a select few, however the pilot is earning a living.
If I never read another paragraph of legal jargon it'll be too soon.
If the answers could be dumbed down for a 'non-lawyer' type it'd be much appreciated.
Cheers :ok:

Nipper
16th Jan 2006, 18:19
SB4200
Point (i) "personal transportation of the owner of the aircraft"
Think of any person who has a business jet, they don’t usually have a pilots licence but employ a pilot to fly their acft, the passengers can consist of anyone associated with the owner, as long as there is no charge incurred. Therefore this is a private flight.
Point (v) "the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot, owner or the hirer of the aircraft"
The keywords here are in bold. It doesn’t matter who owns the goods it is the end intent. If you mean to sell them it is not a private flight, you can take the employees as they don’t fall into the goods category.
Reference your builders see the above.
When doing the exam RTFQ and look for keywords in the question, if you do a search using my name you will see that I posted something similar earlier.
Read the legislation in blocks rather than as a sentence.:ok: