PDA

View Full Version : Last minute OASC prep (almost literally)

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 09:27
Ahoy,
Yes, another OASC thread.
I'm off tomorrow (17th), and I am currently topping up my knowledge of all things OASC-required, and am starting to think I am tip top full of relevant information, so now I am starting to think about things I need to take which will help me through the 4 days.
I've read in places that lucozade and chocolate are good ideas to keep yourself topped up through the tests and what-not, so I'll probably be going to the shop later to hook myself up. I'm assuming you can take drinks (and perhaps choccy) into the aptitude test?
I read in the booklet that was sent to me that we should keep our valuables with us at all times, but as doing a bleep test with my mobile in my pocket would be a bit strange, what do you do with your things during that? (out of curiosity).

If you could give me any last minute tips it would also be greatly appreciated, or if you found you would've taken something with you the booklet didn't specify don't hesitate to tell me :). I'm not particularly nervous about it, I'm actually looking forward to it, as I've taken the view if I try my hardest I can't be disappointed regardless of whether I get in or not.

Cheers.

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2006, 09:49
'm assuming you can take drinks (and perhaps choccy) into the aptitude test?

I very much doubt it - you should assume that you can't take anything in. Imagine if a candidate split water onto a keyboard/other device, wrecked it, and insisted on being re-tested?

but as doing a bleep test with my mobile in my pocket would be a bit strange

I expect it will be possible to put it down inside the gym, in a container with other people's phones, wallets etc.

Suggest loading up on the carbohydrates the night before - will give you plenty of slow release energy for the day ahead.

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 09:52
Yeah, thats another question, what's the food like :D
I read on another forum that they'd taken a drink and choc into the Aptitude test, I just wanted to clarify (they also suggested chewing gum for concentration).

Safety_Helmut
16th Jan 2006, 09:55
Don't forget your spoon too,................I assume you still need it for your feeds.

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 09:58
Don't forget your spoon too,................I assume you still need it for your feeds.
I need my spoon for my whatnow?

airborne_artist
16th Jan 2006, 09:59
Safety_Helmut - Don't forget your spoon too,................I assume you still need it for your feeds.

What makes you think he's not yet off the t!t?:E

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 10:20
I very much doubt whether the usual digi-yoof paraphernalia of food, bottles of water, mobile phones, ipods etc would be allowed anywhere near the aptitude testing area.

And as for potential officers using chewing gum at a formal testing session - good grief, are there no standards left these days :( ?

"Mumble..dribble..mumble..Vulcan..dribble..in my day..mumble..need a wee..mumble..too late...:ugh: "

Another St Ivian
16th Jan 2006, 10:23
Stringy; You don't need a spoon, you're having your leg pulled :}

Regards food during the aptitude tests....to be honest, doing the aptitudes isn't a Herculean task, certainly not one that will wind up with you looking emaciated and requiring an aid visit from Sir Geldof.
What you can do however is take a back-pack or similar and leave it in the briefing room at the aptitude testing centre. You're allotted short breaks during the testing, so from time to time you will be able to sit back in the briefing room for 5 minutes or so and maybe have a quick drink.

ASI

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 10:28
Stringy; You don't need a spoon, you're having your leg pulled :}Damn, I just phoned Cranwell to ask what type of spoon was required.

Regards food during the aptitude tests....to be honest, doing the aptitudes isn't a Herculean task, certainly not one that will wind up with you looking emaciated and requiring an aid visit from Sir Geldof.
What you can do however is take a back-pack or similar and leave it in the briefing room at the aptitude testing centre. You're allotted short breaks during the testing, so from time to time you will be able to sit back in the briefing room for 5 minutes or so and maybe have a quick drink.

ASIPerhaps choccy is overkill, although I'd like to keep topped up with fluids to make sure I'm good to go for the afternoon.
I don't see what issue there could be with chewing gum, provided candidates don't stick it to the underside of the desks???

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 10:32
Because frankly, old bean, it is un-officerlike! One simply doesn't. And if you feel the need to question that...

VigilantPilot
16th Jan 2006, 11:02
I can't see how chewing gum is going to help an aptitude test anyway! I have to agree that it is unprofessional to be chewing gum in a work environment.

My advice - chill - the aptitude tests aren't like going on a survival exercise. I know you want to maximise your potential scores, but I can't see gum or even drinks for that matter helping that much. Once you are doing them, you'll be so absorbed anyway it wont matter.

They do have a tray for valuables. Unless you were planning on bringing your Rolex, probably not worth worrying about.

All in all, just be yourself and try to enjoy the week.

JessTheDog
16th Jan 2006, 19:03
Go to the bar and enjoy the company of your fellow candidates - it is nice to know who you will be working with over the next few days. Relax and work hard. For the tests, you can either do them or you can't.

truckiebloke
16th Jan 2006, 19:53
Stringy, given your obvious high level of intelligence, banter and ability to ask the most wonderful questions,i presume you are applying to become a mover, or possibly work in 2 group??

Stringy
16th Jan 2006, 20:26
Stringy, given your obvious high level of intelligence, banter and ability to ask the most wonderful questions,i presume you are applying to become a mover, or possibly work in 2 group??
Wow, seems that this forum is like many others on the internet in that people can make witty, thoroughly helpful, comments!

Onan the Clumsy
16th Jan 2006, 23:44
I'm assuming you can take drinks (and perhaps choccy) into the aptitude test?
Perhaps you could cut down your exposure by 50% and take chocolate milk in there :8

Stringy
17th Jan 2006, 11:34
Well I'm at Kings Cross now, waiting for my train (posting from my mobile), and I'm pretty excited :p Wish me luck :)

VigilantPilot
17th Jan 2006, 11:40
Bonus points if you post on this forum from your mobile while sitting the aptitude tests.

In all seriousness, good luck and enjoy yourself.

matkat
17th Jan 2006, 13:56
Bleep test! why not simply turn the phone off? I would have thought in such important circumstances You could do without it or I am to old?

joe2812
17th Jan 2006, 15:17
Best of luck Stringy.