PDA

View Full Version : jar to faa

ORBITAL
15th Jan 2006, 23:05
Planning On A Hoilday To Florida To Do Some Flying I Have Already A Faa Licence Based On My Jar One Which I Got A Number Of Years Ago, will Be Going With A Friend Who Has Just Got His Jar Ppl And Whish To Know What He Needs To Do To Covert To A Faa One.i Understand That It Now Involves Contacting The Faa And Caa And Then Picking Up Faa Licence At A Known Date At A Certain Place.
Any Info About The Process Would Be Most Welcome.

BigGrecian
16th Jan 2006, 12:41
I can't wait for the search function to be operational - or the CAA and FAA website for that matter:

CAA form : http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=521
FAA form : http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/media/verify61-75.pdf

Send form to CAA and get charged 16 pounds.
Send form to FAA FSDO - look on FAA website http://www.faa.gov and go and see an examiner who will normally charge $40 the privilege of issuing the FAA PPL based on your JAA PPL (is free at FSDO) Suggest you contact a flight school in the area your travelling to and ask.

ORBITAL
16th Jan 2006, 16:42
Thanks for the info Big Grecian
ORBITAL

-IBLB-
17th Jan 2006, 08:22
Planning On A Hoilday To Florida To Do Some Flying I Have Already A Faa Licence Based On My Jar One Which I Got A Number Of Years Ago, will Be Going With A Friend Who Has Just Got His Jar Ppl And Whish To Know What He Needs To Do To Covert To A Faa One.i Understand That It Now Involves Contacting The Faa And Caa And Then Picking Up Faa Licence At A Known Date At A Certain Place.
Any Info About The Process Would Be Most Welcome.

Make sure, that you check your license number which is stated on your FAA license ( it says "... has to be accompanied by UK pilots certicate UK/PP/........." ) and make sure it still is the same as your current JAR license. It depends on how long ago you got your conversion, but i have had students with the problem that their UK license number had changed, rendering their FAA certificate invalid, since they could not show a license with that number.

Also, to get a license issued based upon a foreign license, does involve all the paperwork as stated above, but the license can be picked up at the FSDO you stated on your FAA-form free of charge. Afterwards you still have to do a "flight review"; this can be done with any FAA-flight instructor.

ORBITAL
17th Jan 2006, 21:03
Thanks for the info , my licence number is still the same but it is now a CPL instead of a PPL , the FAA licence I have says 'valid only when accompanied by United Kigdom pilot license UK/PP.......' my JAR licence number now is UK/CP....... do you think this will be a problem ?

-IBLB-
17th Jan 2006, 22:29
Thanks for the info , my licence number is still the same but it is now a CPL instead of a PPL , the FAA licence I have says 'valid only when accompanied by United Kigdom pilot license UK/PP.......' my JAR licence number now is UK/CP....... do you think this will be a problem ?

Yes, this is a problem, and you will need to get a new revalidation. You cannot show the licence which is specified on your FAA certificate, therefor you have no valid certificate. So you will have to go through the whole process unfortunately.

Also, check PM

ORBITAL
18th Jan 2006, 17:34
Thanks IBLB I will send off the forms as my friend has to so I will play it safe , not going for a while yet so have time

FlyingRat
18th Jan 2006, 18:47
Hi,

I hold a JAR CPL/IR and a US passport. I'm thinking about maybe re-locating to the US to improve job prospects!!

Does anyone know what's involved in changing a CPL to a FAA one?