PDA

View Full Version : NPPL to JAR-PPL

Airbus38
15th Jan 2006, 22:37
Hi all,

Having scoured LASORS and the JAR-FCL publications, I still cannot find a definitive answer to this. I am aware of hours requirements for the NPPL(SEP) and for the JAR-PPL(A). However, is there anybody around who knows what the OFFICIAL hours requirement is to upgrade fom an NPPL to a JAR-PPL? LASORS does offer a hint, however, what if the NPPL was attained using a dispensation from previous flying experience?

The reason I ask is that certain previous qualifications afford one significant crediting towards an NPPL, however towards a JAR the credit is more mediocre. So is the holder of an NPPL automatically assumed to have completed a certain amount of dual hours with a JAA instructor, thus meaning a specific minimum number of extra hours must be flown to 'upgrade' OR if somebody has used a dispensation for the NPPL do differing rules apply?

Help would be greatly appreciated on this, if it's one of those that's cropped up before I apologise!

Many thanks

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 07:18
LASORS 2006 states:

The holder of a NPPL with SSEA aircraft rating wishing to obtain a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall have completed on SEP Aeroplanes:-

a) At least 45 hours flight time, of which at least 35 hours must have been as a pilot of SEP aeroplanes. A maximum of 5 hours may be completed in an approved FNPT or flight simulator. This flight time must include:-

That means not less than 35 hours on SEP aeroplanes, NOT microlights, SLMGs etc. It MUST include:

1) 20hours dual instruction of SEP aeroplanes with a JAR qualified instructor;

If you've already completed, say, 12 hours with a JAR qualified instructor, then you would need a further 8 to meet this requirement. It may not be waived for NPPL SSEA Class Ratings obtained through cross-crediting.

2) 10 hours solo flight time on SEP aeroplanes which must include 5 hours solo cross country flight time including one cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 nm), during which full stop landings at two different aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made as per JAR-FCL 1.125.

Again, it means what it says. The 5 hours solo cross-country must be flown under the supervision of a JAR qualified instructor and must be flown without passengers, even though your licence includes such privilieges.

Lister Noble
16th Jan 2006, 10:18
BEagle,
Sorry to butt in on this, but I am doing the NPPL course (now done 35 hrs including some solo navigation cross country but not first land away or QXC, yesterday my instructor asked if I wanted to change to PPL as I would have enough hours by the end of the course.
I said I wasn't sure as the medical requirements are more stringent,but I've now looked at the requirements and think I would be OK.
I will have all the required ground exams for a PPL,so what is the difference in the flying tests,is the cross country nav test distance longer or is it more than that?
I would have asked my CFI but the school only operates Friday to Sunday.
Thanks for any help in this.
Lister:)

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 11:33
Yes, the qualifying cross-country flight is longer, you will need to learn radio aid fixing and tracking and you will need to have achieved the right number of hours for dual and solo flying, including navigation. The JAR-FCL PPL Skill Test includes navigation, whereas the NPPL NST and GST are flown separately.

Don't forget that a JAR-FCL PPL(A) has a £159 initial issue fee and lasts for 5 years before a reissue fee of £63 has to be paid.

Whereas a NPPL has a £45 issue fee and lasts for life.

Airbus38
16th Jan 2006, 11:47
BEagle,

See, this is just what leads to confusion: 20 hours dual and 10 supervised solo is 30 hours - so, an extra 5 hours must then be completed on SEPs to make that minimum 35. And then an extra 10 hours 'flight time' must be completed to make the 45....can we assume that that the extra 5 hours can be completed as a holder of an NPPL unsupervised, and what constitutes 'flight time'?

Cheers for your help
A38

Lister Noble
16th Jan 2006, 12:43
Thanks Beagle,that's a great help and it looks like I may do it,but:) will discuss with my CFI on Friday.
Lister:)

BEagle
16th Jan 2006, 14:30
"See, this is just what leads to confusion: 20 hours dual and 10 supervised solo is 30 hours - so, an extra 5 hours must then be completed on SEPs to make that minimum 35."

Correct. The other 5 hours can be either dual or solo if you are given credit for flying in other classes of aircraft, othewise it must be an additional 5 hours dual conducted with a JAR authorised instructor.

"And then an extra 10 hours 'flight time' must be completed to make the 45"

No - it means flight time as credited for previous experience on other aircraft:

Holders of pilot licences or equivalent privileges
for Helicopters (including UK QSP(H) with no
previous SEP aeroplane experience), Microlights
having fixed wings and moveable aerodynamic
control surfaces acting in all three dimensions,
Gliders, Self-Sustaining Gliders or Self
Launching sailplanes or gyroplanes, may be
credited with 10% of their total flight time as
Pilot-in-Command in such aircraft up to a
maximum of 10 hours towards a JAR-FCL
PPL(A).

"....can we assume that that the extra 5 hours can be completed as a holder of an NPPL unsupervised, and what constitutes 'flight time'?"

Yes. Flight time means as PIC or Pu/t and is from the time the aircraft strats taxying for take-off until it finishes taxying after landing. So it does NOT, for example, include ATC air experience flying.

Airbus38
16th Jan 2006, 15:05
Cheers for that BEags,

Looks like even though I could hold an NPPL with 7hrs experience with SEP aircraft I'd still need to put up with a large extra cost to convert that to a JAR. Just a good deal more hassle than using the 10-hr dispensation the CAA offer anyway to pretty much the same end! You can but try...