PDA

View Full Version : Missing Heartbeat

brockenspectre
15th Jan 2006, 19:16
I am sure this is probably a very common thing but ... I was diagnosed with hypertension in November (now taking 10mg Amlodipine Besilate at night) and since a recent gastric crisis, following which I have had to take several different medications to curb nausea etc, I have developed a missing heartbeat. After eating ... after a glass of wine ... resting after running/exercise ... it makes me feel a little out of sorts but deffo not unwell. Is this something I should bother about or should I just let it be "one of those things"? As system calms down, after about 15mins or so, things return to normal.

I haven't yet mentioned it to my GP as I suspect it would seem a tad over-introspective!!!

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback :)

priapism
16th Jan 2006, 10:07
Brockenspectre,

What exactly do you mean by a "missing heartbeat" ? There are several arrythmias of the heart which can feel like a " missing heartbeat " . Does that mean your pulse while this is occurring is irregular? Get this checked out by your G.P immediately. It could be something reasonably benign , such as an electrolyte imbalance ( a possibility given the recent gastric problems)that is causing a temporary problem with the conduction system or cellular function of the heart muscle . It could also be something more dangerous such as Atrial fibrillation or Atrial flutter. Both these arrythmias , if left untreated can lead to episodes of syncope and shortness of breath due to the simple fact that the old ticker is simply not pumping blood effectively through the body.
If it were me I'd be at the G.P's for a referral to a cardiologist for a 12 lead ecg and blood test. If this problem is an intermittent one you may have to wear a portable monitor called a halter monitor that will catch a recording of any abberation as it occurs.
If it is one of the more serious arrythmias they can easily be controlled with medication,

Cheers,

Priapism.

priapism
16th Jan 2006, 10:25
Almost forgot ,

The drug you are on is a very common anti hypertensive , also sold as Norvasc. I have checked my drug manual and you are on the maximum recommended dose. I note that this drug's adverse reactions include dizziness,fatigue, flushing and palpitations ( it also acts as a calcium channel blocker , but I wont get into that )

It may be that a different anti hypertensive drug , or a lower dose of yours may be better for you. It is recommended that this drug be gradually titrated in dose over 10 to 14 days to allow observance of effect and side effect.
Your G.P may have been a bit heavy handed with the dispensing .

Check with your G.P again - the solution to your problem may be simple,

Priapism ,

Paramedic,

Aus

got caught
16th Jan 2006, 15:21
Its unlikey to be anything too serious, but not one for the internet I'm afraid. As priap. says, return to your GP, I'm sure it's something which could be investigated and sorted quite simply .:ok:

ContractFlyGal
16th Jan 2006, 17:26
I have one too and my GP says nothing to it, no big deal and forget about it.

Captain Airclues
16th Jan 2006, 19:07
brock

It is possible that this could be Ventricular Ectopic Beats. If so they can be reduced by avoiding stress, red wine and caffeine.

Airclues

homesick rae
16th Jan 2006, 20:05
Have the same thing and have had since 1998. All ECGs normal. Holter test showed a few premature beats but told nothing to worry about. Have been told it is more than likely stress related. (It started the day after I heard my mum was terminally ill) I feel absolutely fine and have no shortness of breath, get the occasional twinge now and again and have been prescribed Atenelol. Was told by my UK GP to just deal with it as no alarm bells were ringing with him...GP here said something similar, even though it scares the S#@T out of me when it happens, which is few and far between these days.

Cheers

HR

brockenspectre
28th Jan 2006, 01:08
Thanks all, thus far, for feedbadk! I mentioned the heartbeat thing to my GP just over a week ago and was told that I need to take more exercise and strengthen my heart (I walk briskly about 1.1/2hrs a day with my dog) ... 'cos I appear to be hitting a bout of a lotta medical issues (18yrs with nowt wrong and now it is all kicking off) makes me think the GP presumes I am a worry wart!!! Interesting, Priap that you should mention the meds ... I asked if it could be the meds causing the problem as I had checked the contraindications and again was told that "this is a tried and tested medication" so ... clearly as a female and middle-aged with a bunch of medical krap happening I am imagining this :mad:

For past couple days, I was in hospital for some procedures, under general anaesthesia, and the "missing heartbeat" only occurred when I had eaten or gotten up from lying down so (good news) nothing interfered with what had to be done... there is, therefore, nothing to support my concerns :rolleyes:

My plan of action, therefore, is in 2006 to become evidently fit and lean and THEN when I mention the "missing heartbeat" I will, hopefully, have increased credibility! AFAIK and judging by the average mortality-age of my female ancestors I should have at least another 35+yrs on the planet so I am darn well NOT going to have the medics consign me to the heap now, way loooooong before I am due!!!! :ok: