PDA

View Full Version : Irish Inital Class 1 Medical

737-500
15th Jan 2006, 10:35
Hi
I am having my inital class 1 medical on 31 January in the mater hosipital in Dublin. I am just wondering if anyone has any hints or tips for the Irish medical e.g how fit should i be or is there any test that will require me to run on a treadmill etc. Also i heard that Irish doctors are very strict. Does anyone know if this is true?

conor_mc
15th Jan 2006, 14:28
No, there are no physical exercise tests... if I remember correctly there'll be an eyesight test, an ENT checkup (ears/nose/throat), an audiogram, an ecg (heart-check), an eeg (brain-activity check), a spirometry test (lung capacity), a chest X-ray, your blood pressure will be taken and then an overall check-up by the doctor.
I'm not a fitness fanatic by any stretch of the imagination and I passed - I didn't do much more than play the odd game of 5-a-side footy before the initial, although the bit of excess around the waist was pointed out by the doc so I started doing a bit more in the gym afterwards.
Hint for the day - there'll no doubt be some line pilots in for renewals so don't be afraid to chat to them.
Good luck!

flaps to 60
15th Jan 2006, 19:20
conor said.
Hint for the day - there'll no doubt be some line pilots in for renewals so don't be afraid to chat to them.
Good luck
Excellent advice. Main reason being that they may well be on your interview panel in a year or two.:cool:
Good luck also

HomerJay
6th Apr 2006, 20:00
Most relevant thread i could find to hijack. I have a CAA PPL, I live in Ireland and it obviously would be easier for me to do the Class 1 medial in the mater hospital in Dublin. Does anyone know if there is a way I can do this or do i have to go to Gatwick? I have contacted the IAA but if anyone can help in the meantime i would be very gratefull
Thanks

7gcbc
7th Apr 2006, 01:08
Dr Kileen (Senior) did mine yonks ago (97 I think), and that was the old CAA class I -renewal, I did however have to go to Gatwick to do the initial, and not sure about the JAA stuff, it won't hurt to phone him.

01 878 6269/874 0841/833 6848

here's a list of Ames for dublin

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/med_showame.asp?ID=6

captwannabe
7th Apr 2006, 06:26
I did my Class 1 with the CAA in Gatwick, cheaper to fly from Cork to Gatwick return than to get a return train ticket to Dublin.

Kieran93
28th Apr 2006, 20:26
Hi guys, How strict are they in the class 1 medical when i comes to sight? as in if you are border line will it be ok? and what are the tests involved for any of you who have done it there??

737-500
29th Apr 2006, 08:01
When I did the Class 1 medical in Dublin in January and the optometrist was very strict. I could not read some of the letters on the last line of the distance vision chart and now I have to wear glasses for flying. It was a very small correction and my local optometrist thought I was having a laugh when I told her I had to get the glasses. As for the tests ,distance and near vision, colour blindness, drops in the eyes and also testing the eye function by following a pen with your eyes. If you are border line I would ring the Mater hospital and tell them your case before hand. Hope this is a help and good luck.

Kieran93
29th Apr 2006, 21:30
Thanks very much for your feedback. THe reason i had cause for concern is that i brought along the requirements printed on www.jaa.nl (http://www.jaa.nl) to my optometrist, and even though i could read all the letters on the distance vision chart, he said i was border line...which puzzels me a bit. As for the colour vision tests, they were fine. strange...
Many thanks 737-500

captwannabe
30th Apr 2006, 11:34
Are there different standards between IAA and CAA medical requirements? I had no problem with the CAA optometrist, even though I only made it half way across the last line of the distance vision chart. Do the IAA still do the EEG and the chest x-ray? Would you need to do them for Aer Lingus medical req. for example?

737-500
1st May 2006, 08:18
They should be both the same as both are doing the medical under the JAA rules.The IAA do not do the EEG test anymore but the chest X-ray is still there.