PDA

View Full Version : remaining current

benken2870
15th Jan 2006, 10:28
Hey everyone, just new to pprune.
I just have a question for all the Private Pilots in the forum.
Have just recently passed my PPL, I now fly around 2-4 hours a month.

I would like to know how often all you other PPLs fly, what sort of flying, and in what aircraft?

cheers for reading my first of many posts
Ben

stillalbatross
17th Jan 2006, 00:45
Are you at 2-4 hours a month because it's all you can afford? Are you building hours towards a cpl? Back when I was out of work I could also only afford about 2-4 hours a month, more would have been obviously better, flying fortnightly would have beeen ideal. My point is, spend as much time as you can on ground with preparation and familiarisation so you don't waste a single minute or dollar of your money in the aircraft trying to remember stuff that you could have practised on the ground.

Ando1Bar
17th Jan 2006, 01:17
There is a difference between remaining current and remaining safe. One flight a month is going to leave you a little rusty, but one every 2-3 weeks will be very good if money is tight.

You may want to consider doing smaller flights regularly, then a nav around 3 times a year to another area to keep your skills up. The nav doesn't have to be very far, just enough to get you planning ETAs, using fuel logs and changing radio frequencies.

The other trick is to take up friends, family or co-workers and get them to pay for, oops I mean cost share, the flight. This means a $160 flight in a 4-seater will only cost you $40.

TLAW
17th Jan 2006, 04:20
Hey - I'd do that if my licence would turn up. Is that a safety issue?

rmcdonal
17th Jan 2006, 04:48
4 people in a 4 seater HAHAHA.
Ok it is possible, but its also possible to loop a B206.
Still its not a bad idea, you can fly 3 times as much and having Pax is always more fun then flying by yourself.

VH AMF
18th Jan 2006, 06:20
Yes, I was going to say, 4 people in say a C172 will be a tight squize, especially when they will be paying the quarter amount of the flight. You won't be deligting them, as the flight would be short. Maybe 3.:ok: