PDA

View Full Version : Pilot gadgets - PDA and GPS stuff....

Gyro drifter
15th Jan 2006, 10:01
Fellow pruners...

Im in the market for a handheld GPS unit and have been researching for a few hours now.

I like the features of the garmin 96C unit and it fits into my $$$ range too. However the more i look into GPS for pilots the more i see of these cool looking PDAs with coupled GPS.

I see garmin have the ique 3600a pda gps unit, but i was more thinking of something that runs the windows 2003 os. That way you can put flightplanning software and gps maps and stuff onto it as you choose.

My question...

Anyone got one of these PDAs which they use for aviation. And more importantly what software and databases do you use???

Gyro

Biggles_in_Oz
15th Jan 2006, 10:58
Get a cheap PDA with bluetooth capability and a bluetooth GPS and you can upgrade it in the future at a sensible cost.

Depending on your hardware and software, you may experience 'issues' in getting bluetooth to work properly initially. :(

There are several PDA software solutions, eg. http://www.anywheremap.com and http://www.pocketfms.com

Many aviation systems use the USA NIMA database as their primary datasource, but NIMA is removing the public and free access to that data in Oct 06 so there could be issues with getting updates in the future.

I've seen posts that say the anywheremap databases and maps are not that good or cheap for the Oz region.

PocketFMS is donationware and based in Europe.

PDAs have advantages, the multiple-use one as you stated, is a big plus.
They also have problems, the major ones being size and processing power.
Size, as in the screen area is a lot smaller than a 'normal' PC, therefore designing a good usable user-interface is tricky and fiddly.
Power, as in you can't do a lot of number crunching to get cute graphical effects or fast screen updates, because there are severe limits on memory and battery capacity and processor 'grunt'.

Having said all that, I use a cheap Dell PDA with MS Mobile 2003, a spare battery, a cheap bluetooth GPS and run PocketFMS.
It certainly helps me with my situational awareness. :}

Gyro drifter
15th Jan 2006, 11:52
Great reply Biggles,

Advice very much appreciated.You reckon your setup could substitude a handheld garmin unit that backs up a very dodgy looking aircraft unit?

Cheers

Gyro

remofo
15th Jan 2006, 19:00
I would have to agree, PocketFMS is about the best I have seen. It's easy to enter data on a PC or PDA and transfer data between the two. Great flight-planning, automatic air-space avoidance routing and it's free or donation ware for more features. NIMA closure presents issues but the developers are promising a seamless transfer to other sources.
The only other package I have used that compares is Jeppesen FlightStar but this wont run on PocketPCs. A very comprehensive option but it costs $$$, more $$$ for navdata updates and more $$$ for its weather add-on.
Also check http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html for lots of free GPS software.
Get a cheap PDA with bluetooth capability and a bluetooth GPS and you can upgrade it in the future at a sensible cost.
Depending on your hardware and software, you may experience 'issues' in getting bluetooth to work properly initially. :(
There are several PDA software solutions, eg. http://www.anywheremap.com and http://www.pocketfms.com
Many aviation systems use the USA NIMA database as their primary datasource, but NIMA is removing the public and free access to that data in Oct 06 so there could be issues with getting updates in the future.
I've seen posts that say the anywheremap databases and maps are not that good or cheap for the Oz region.
PocketFMS is donationware and based in Europe.
PDAs have advantages, the multiple-use one as you stated, is a big plus.
They also have problems, the major ones being size and processing power.
Size, as in the screen area is a lot smaller than a 'normal' PC, therefore designing a good usable user-interface is tricky and fiddly.
Power, as in you can't do a lot of number crunching to get cute graphical effects or fast screen updates, because there are severe limits on memory and battery capacity and processor 'grunt'.
Having said all that, I use a cheap Dell PDA with MS Mobile 2003, a spare battery, a cheap bluetooth GPS and run PocketFMS.
It certainly helps me with my situational awareness. :}

Howard Hughes
15th Jan 2006, 19:13
Thats great stuff Biggles, especially the pocket FMS!!
CHeers, HH.:ok:

Biggles_in_Oz
15th Jan 2006, 22:28
Gyro Drifter
You reckon your setup could substitute a handheld garmin unit ...
I reckon so.

I use the PDA and PocketFMS on long trips (hence the need for a spare battery).

Don't get me wrong, a dedicated GPS box has its' place, and it's very convenient to just press its' on-switch and away it goes, whereas the PDA method does require a few button & screen presses.

But., for around 1/3 of the price of a Garmin 296, I reckon I've got most of its' features and more versatility. :)