PDA

View Full Version : TransAtlantic Airlines L1011's to Africa

L1011dal
14th Jan 2006, 23:11
Has anyone heard an update recently on TransAtlantic Airlines starting up and flying L1011's from USA to Africa?
The following website has info and photos of an aircraft being prepared in late 2005.
http://www.l1011.homestead.com/TransAtlantic-Airlines.html

c3000
15th Jan 2006, 09:13
The a/c shown in those pics looks quite similar to one I have seen several times over the past two months in Bujumbura, Burundi. It is operated by Sky Gate w/ EX-044 as reg. and has been operating troop rotations from Pakistan for MONUC.

Hope this helps!

M.

B Sousa
15th Jan 2006, 13:00
Interesting site for old Airplane buffs.. VCV or Victorville in California is on the desert (formerly George AFB) and is one of many "Dry Storage Locations", along with Mojave, Kingman, Tucson etc.
L-1011 has been around for a long time. Many companies get into the contract business with Governments, Private Charters etc. using older aircraft. Seems to work out pretty good.

411A
16th Jan 2006, 02:00
Certification (AOC) seems to be the problem with this company.
I was personally contacted by one of their execs some months ago about using an offshore AOC initially, using their crews.
This proved to be not possible, so all has gone unusually quiet of late.
L10's do seem to be still a viable aircraft, so something might indeed still materialise.
Maybe...:rolleyes:

B Sousa
16th Jan 2006, 02:53
I was personally contacted by one of their execs some months ago about using an offshore AOC initially, using their crews.

Now the meat of the thread comes alive. Will this be a fly-by-night. Do they have the financial backing to make it more than a month??
I have seen a few start ups that were there only to get some cash deposits for furture flying and then they disappeared.........
Maybe some names should hit the forum..........Opinions from recognition......

surely not
16th Jan 2006, 09:21
Is this the same Trans Atlantic Airways that tried to start up a couple of years ago? Chief Ojokwo (sp?) was heading it up and they used an EAAC 747 for about 6 flts before the cash ran out.

AF022
26th Jan 2006, 01:32
Yes, Transatlantic was that airline that abandonned so many passengers a few years back.
They apparently worked with a consulting firm to get things going again, but it fell apart.

makeapullup
26th Jan 2006, 13:01
Don't know how many L101's there are flying around in Africa, but TAAG was here last week in one. CSTEB i think. Is this the some airline? Remember something about a European company on the FPL.

arf1410
26th Jan 2006, 15:39
TAAG in an L1011? Are you sure? Was it a wet lease while a 747 was in maintenance?

ContractFlyGal
26th Jan 2006, 16:23
If this is the guy out of Ohio, he has some 747SP's and the latest I heard is they MAY get in the air but on an African AOC.

soups
26th Jan 2006, 17:57
Don't know how many L101's there are flying around in Africa, but TAAG was here last week in one. CSTEB i think. Is this the some airline? Remember something about a European company on the FPL.
Hewa Bora flies this type

ChiefT
27th Jan 2006, 10:44
TAAG in an L1011? Are you sure? Was it a wet lease while a 747 was in maintenance?

Euroatlantic or Yes are flying for TAAG. A B747-300 was impunded in LIS due to outstanding payments for handling, landing and fuel

makeapullup
28th Jan 2006, 03:07
Remember reading something about B777 for Angola, any news?

Gambia-track
28th Jan 2006, 16:41
Ely Chulli is the principle in this company. Check it out at flytia.com. He is trying to begin ops from the Bahamas to Ohio and/or West Africa to the US with 2 747-SP's. No AOC but is looking hard. Had some partners previously that he bought out recently. Different AC for the Bahamas ops but can't specify. He is real but just isn't sure how to get there. Looks like his priority is the Bahamas.