PDA

View Full Version : Aboriginal Air Services - Pay & Conditions

nomorecatering
14th Jan 2006, 12:07
Posted for a mate who doesnt have internet;

Noted in todays Australian an ad for Aboriginal Air Services are looking for C208 & C310 drivers.

Does anyone know what money they are offering. Their website says all pilots on salary.

Whats the goss about this mob

Have 1500TT , 300 ME Cmd, CIR, a handful hrs dual on the 208. Bulk of his hrs were in a sheltered workshop (instructing).

Worth throwing in a resume??

Capt Claret
14th Jan 2006, 12:39
Nah, wouldn't bother meself. I mean they might then consider him/her for a job.

Sarcasm aside. One should apply for what one wants, not what one thinks one might get, as life is full of surprises.

the wizard of auz
14th Jan 2006, 14:00
Pay around the $60k mark in the 208 with CIR. will be required to live in a community and be based in Alice. Not to be taken as gospel, just what I was told by one of the pilots that had recently left. Not such a bad company to work for apparently.

tinpis
14th Jan 2006, 22:23
Heard all good things :ok:

Flight Detent
15th Jan 2006, 02:05
Forgive me,

I thought yous were all being a little sarcastic here, not being in the Oz inland aviation business.

I thought you were referring to the RFDS!

Thats wot I always thought it was referred to as!

Cheers FD :uhoh:

sprucegoose
15th Jan 2006, 05:29
60K for a C208 job ain't bad.

rmcdonal
15th Jan 2006, 07:12
One of the 208s is in Hooker Creek, 3 times a week to Darwin with a couple of stops on the way. Plus any charters that pop up. I think you push your 900Hrs/Y.

Enufsaid
15th Jan 2006, 09:26
60k maybe, however you will NOT be paid the award.

i.e. they don't pay your freight, meal and travel to work allowances. For most, it doesn't matter, but for some abo air pilots who have been there a number of years, it all adds up in the thousands :suspect:

EngineOut
15th Jan 2006, 10:54
the award for a C208 is only about $38K, that would be a hell of a lot of allowances to make up 22 grand a year!!

3RAR
15th Jan 2006, 11:16
Don't worry Engine, ES is still a little p!ssed off that AAS brought out his old company. He misses them, he just wants to go back home. If only they would have him so he to could fly a Caravan. Dn't worry, time heals all wounds. It's a little like Domestos, Cleaning and clenzin' the shower floor of all the 'MUD'.

nomorecatering
15th Jan 2006, 11:37
So where do you start, and based where. What sort of money is starting money.

MIss Behaviour
15th Jan 2006, 21:39
3RAR
Painfully obvious isn't it! You've got to wonder about the 'character' of a person that does that kind of thing.
Isn't one of the 10 (pilot) commandments "thou shalt not sh!t on one's doorstep"? :yuk: :yuk:

PLovett
15th Jan 2006, 23:50
I don't know anything about their pay and conditions however their aircraft are well maintained (4 x C208B, 2 x C210, 2 x C310, 1 x Bandit). At present only remote base is, I think, Lajamanu (Hooker Creek to the rest of us).
Big rumour verging on fact is they have taken equity in/bought out (delete where appropriate) Air Ngukurr and that big expansion moves are afoot. Perhaps that may mean more remote basing.

neville_nobody
16th Jan 2006, 04:44
Pay is as per the award. Allowances are paid depending on where you overnight. I know some of their overnights meals are provided. Bulk hours on the C208. Guys I know there reckon that you could bust a 1000 a year if you really wanted to but that would be hard work in the summer heat. They appear to be buzzing around WA alot dunno about up North.

jackthelad
16th Jan 2006, 06:24
Well all, lets put it all to rest. I drive a Van for Aboriginal Air Services and I can tell you a better bunch a blokes to work for would be hard to find. $60 for a Van driver for AAS (tell him hes dreaming) about $40K is the go. Most newbies start on the C210 $30K is the go there and then move to the VAN usually when gaining around 1000 hrs if you dont have it already, and when a position becomes available. AAS operates 4 208s 1 of which is positioned at Hooker Creek or (Lajamanu) 1 C310 is also based in Hooker.

You need not worry about anything regarding money, they pay the award and everything that falls under it. There are no egos to worry about (or backstabbing to get that twin job) and all current staff are enjoying a great lifestyle in Alice Springs. All overnight allownces are paid in your fortnightly wages (ive not missed one in 6 months) and meals are provide with accomodation.

The aircraft are very well maintained and kept in a very clean and presentable manner. Uniforms are provided (Shirts, Trousers, Jacket for winter and even a cap)

AAS operates under RPT check and training system which ensures all the pilots are regularly check for competencies. The company flys to many Aboriginal Communities moving people around and delivering mail and freight in SA NT and WA.

If you would like to know more about AAS just ask. Iam sure Ive still left out some good bits.:) :ok:

jackthelad
16th Jan 2006, 06:31
For those of you interested in jobs with AAS here is the link to the website. Pilots are currently being sort for Alice Springs. http://www.aboriginalair.com.au/

the wizard of auz
16th Jan 2006, 10:46
Goodo Jack. I did say that it wasn't gospel. (we were sipping a coldy behind the hanger at hooker at the time).
seemed like a good mob from what he was saying.(hope your enjoying that aerocommander bloke).
If they paid a little more I would consider it seriously myself.

nomorecatering
16th Jan 2006, 11:07
Whats hooker Creek like to live in, housing, amenities etc. Is there a proper road leading into it, can you take a road car there.

rmcdonal
16th Jan 2006, 11:43
nomorecatering, Hooker Creek is just like most Communitys I have visited in the NT, Remote as hell, with not as much grass on the lawns.
They have a supermarket (with ATM:ok: ) and a centre link. Not to sure on the roads (where would you go anyway?) you can walk just about anywere in the town, plus I think you get a company car???
Now thats all the good bits... the rest is up to you to find out :E
PS. And its one of them new Security controlled airports so don't forget your ASIC. :rolleyes: BWAHAHAHA.

maxgrad
16th Jan 2006, 11:49
They also have a dog breeding program which is churning out some of the best leatherback mainge ridden twisted brained animals in the world.
Top Springs is the closest watering hole.
enjoy

the wizard of auz
16th Jan 2006, 12:49
Bwaaaaaaaahahaha, you guys sure aint giving much away. I hear the nurses are pretty friendly too. :)
you forgot to mention that its a dry (giggle) camp.

the wizard of auz
16th Jan 2006, 12:53
Big rumour verging on fact is they have taken equity in/bought out (delete where appropriate) Air Ngukurr and that big expansion moves are afoot. Perhaps that may mean more remote basing.
I hear that rumour as well, although my suspisions would be expansion into a capital is the go.

nomorecatering
16th Jan 2006, 15:59
Is housing paid for by the company

Where would u store your car if based at Hooker Creek, I understand its not accesable by road, other then 4wd. Does the company have any facilities or is there a garage u can lock up ur car.

If based at Hokker Creek, how often would they get back into town, Alice...ie civilisation.

Any websites on Hooker creek with photos, heck I cant even find it on a map.

rmcdonal
17th Jan 2006, 00:26
As I said you get to visit Darwhine 3 times a week. Down to the Alice for 100hrlys. From what I can remember about the house it didn't have a garage, but I suppose you could put your car in the hanger?? Then you would need an ASIC to get to it :ok: so it must be safe. Grab a Halls Creek WAC its right next to the words "TANAMI DESERT. :E :E If you need more info on what the company provides out there I recomend calling the company.

maxgrad, I forgot all about the dogs, healthy beasts arnt they :}

tinpis
17th Jan 2006, 00:38
Lajamanu

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~vinhminh/images/aerial_laj/lajamanu.jpg

Fit sort waiting for dat pahlit eh

http://www.saint-auvent.net/English%20version/images/artistes/Image14.jpg

Airport refueler and resident ppruner

http://www.aboriginalartprints.com.au/eye/ab_ronnielawson.GIF

aero979
17th Jan 2006, 00:44
Great company to work for. Pay and conditions as per the award. Silly not to submit a resume with them.

As for Hooker Creek, its what you make of it. Housing pretty basic, but the company picks up the rent. And there is no Garage for a car, but Hooker is accessible by road in any vehicle ( check at the moment due wet season ). You should see what the locals make it there in!!!

Great people in Hooker too, is remote but every gets together and you can have some great nights out there. Good nurses, and there are police there. It is a dry community, but the white fellas can get a liquor permit. Plenty of beer at the cop station for only $2 a can!

Plenty of flying too, you'll find that flying to Darwin three times a week will pretty much take it out of you and you'll want to sleep on your day off. You'll leave Hooker at 7am, and return by about 7pm, with a three hour break in Darwin. It gets hot, but grab a cab from Darwin airport to Casurina, do your shopping and soak up the civilisation for a while, and the air conditioning!!!

Ive just finished about 13 months up there, and was a great experience. You'll learn alot about remote flying which may come in handy later on
( RFDS ). Aboriginal air, a great bunch of people, doing a bloody hard job, especially when it is 50 degrees outside!

If you need to know anymore PM me, especially re Hooker and the Darwin run!

Capt Claret
17th Jan 2006, 01:16
Given the rain in the last week or so, I wouldn't be surprised if the dirt road to Lajamanu was impassable.

As I understand it the Walpiri have a custom whereby a man is not allowed to see or talk to his mother-in-law. So, if you're of the opinion that MIL are a bad thing, you could get a little extra out of a stay in Lajamanu! :E

nomorecatering
17th Jan 2006, 05:16
Does anyone know about the jobs that were advertised in the Australian, where they will be based. The advert says they will be baed in Alice or Darwin.

In an impccable piece of timing on my part, I took delivery 2 days before I saw the advert, of my first new car, just a Pulsar but it would be financil suicide to sell it, and doubt it would survive the road to Hooker Creek, being 100km + of rough dirt roads. Any advice on where to store it, maybe a Darwin or Lixe depending on which city you would get up to most.

tinpis
17th Jan 2006, 05:22
Leave the keys in it and the Wadeye Valet Service will take care of it.

sprucegoose
17th Jan 2006, 05:28
good lookin' chick.

maxgrad
17th Jan 2006, 06:50
Only have a couple of $ fuel in it though as they tend to destruct test everything they lay their hands on.

Over and gout
17th Jan 2006, 06:52
Man I would love that job. Too bad I don't have the 50h night though...:(

the wizard of auz
17th Jan 2006, 11:34
Note the date on the photo. I saw it last about early december last year and it hadn't changed one bit.
flys are pretty friendly too, but on the up side, there aint no mossies.
hey aero 979, you down in that cold country driving the twin now?

aero979
17th Jan 2006, 22:23
gday wizard

yep in gods country now mate. Beautiful down here!!

How did your ferry flight go???

Re your car: I left mine in the AAS hanger at the airport, just tucked it into a corner.

OpsNormal
18th Jan 2006, 09:58
Does anyone know about the jobs that were advertised in the Australian, where they will be based. The advert says they will be baed in Alice or Darwin.
In an impccable piece of timing on my part, I took delivery 2 days before I saw the advert, of my first new car, just a Pulsar but it would be financil suicide to sell it, and doubt it would survive the road to Hooker Creek, being 100km + of rough dirt roads. Any advice on where to store it, maybe a Darwin or Lixe depending on which city you would get up to most.

NMC. I seriously couldn't imagine you at HOO, but I do know a place where you could drop your car off in Western Qld on the way through..... heheheh. Do you still have your Grd2/3?

Nah, get in with Jim Butler (the store operator) and the cricket games at the local coppers spread over the other side of the airport and you'll be sittin' purdy for a beer or three! Just keep it away from general community viewing.

I filled-in for a week or so there a few years ago and believe me the music, dogs and fighting goes all night. :eek:

I see the Long House down from the council hasn't burnt down yet.:hmm:

Is the hangar still a drive though op?:}

Max, you'd still be getting the odd stubbed toe out of there?:}

rmcdonal
18th Jan 2006, 10:08
Got to love the Long House. Was still standing last year. For a first Turbine job it sounds good to me:ok: .
I have to say it's not a bad place when you compare it to others...:yuk:
But then again its not Darwhine either.
Have fun:E :E

nomorecatering
18th Jan 2006, 12:32
Opsmnormal, its not for nomoecatering, I;m using his logon, cause i dont want to use my own, easier than creating a new identity.

Do they have internet there, would be lost without a daily dose of pprune.

maxgrad
18th Jan 2006, 13:43
if you peddle the generator fast enough!:}
There is a two stage hanger there now and what looks like a cut in half car for a tow vehicle.

tinpis
18th Jan 2006, 17:41
Bigfella rain ikam nau

n the 24 hours, 100mm fell on Goulburn and residents had to call on emergency services personnel for help.

That's "chicken feed" compared to parts of the NT. In the 24 hours to 9am yesterday Centre Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria, near Borroloola, copped 223mm.

That came on top of the 109mm it had in the previous 24 hours. Other NT areas, in the previous 24 hours, had Sydney's whole monthly rainfall.

These included Wollogorang, 900km southeast of Darwin, with 124mm and Lajamanu, 700km south of Darwin, with 115mm.

The camp dogs will smell wonderful.

The "traditional" helicopter will be on standby.

aero979
18th Jan 2006, 21:22
ah the long house, yep still standing

2 weeks in there was enough though

any1 seen the pink house?? well half pink half purple?? welcome home!

PPRuNeUser0182
18th Jan 2006, 22:51
i found it amusing; a community with its own Centrelink branch. :ok:

"mark it on your map and don't come back" i was told.

the dogs are standard issue for the territory but their chunder is a different shade of orange/yellow/green in comparison to what i'd seen in other parts.

loved the 'drive thru hangar' and the banged up, lowered, cut-in-half sh1tbox car tug thing. :} :} when i was there it appeared to blow up after towing the 310 about 2 yards... poor pahlit gave up and stormed off...

an enchanting place :O

CHARLIE.

aero979
19th Jan 2006, 00:16
you must have been there recently charles,

that tug is a great little thing, used to burn around alice airport in it

hikouki
19th Jan 2006, 03:28
60k maybe, however you will NOT be paid the award.
i.e. they don't pay your freight, meal and travel to work allowances. For most, it doesn't matter, but for some abo air pilots who have been there a number of years, it all adds up in the thousands :suspect:

Why don't you get your hand off it... Try working casual as a flying instructor then complain to me about $60k...

3RAR
20th Jan 2006, 09:19
i found it amusing; a community with its own Centrelink branch.

WTF? Sorry I am a bit gobsmaked, but the only reason these communities exist is the fact that there is a Centrelink branch there. Industry is not the pillar of these communities, it is Centrelink. I get the feeling that you may not have had the honor of being (over) exposed to this (Sad sad) situation.

I could be wrong, I often am, and no malice intended to you by this post.

tinpis
20th Jan 2006, 09:41
In fact sadly these communities are mostly totally dysfunctional.

But hey..they're fun !

rmcdonal
20th Jan 2006, 13:04
However as long as the Government wastes money on them more and more young wannabees are going to get there chance in the Aviation world. Think about how many charters you have done that revolved around these remote places? If they all lived in town then GA in the NT/WA/QLD would be a fraction of its self.
I say we need to support these places, or else theres going to be a lot more unemployed pilots floating around.
:ok:

Over and gout
20th Jan 2006, 16:29
However as long as the Government wastes money on them more and more young wannabees are going to get there chance in the Aviation world. Think about how many charters you have done that revolved around these remote places? If they all lived in town then GA in the NT/WA/QLD would be a fraction of its self.
I say we need to support these places, or else theres going to be a lot more unemployed pilots floating around.
:ok:
I like the way you think:ok:

tinpis
20th Jan 2006, 20:30
Yep I would think it would be better to move all these folk into town (say Tennant Creek?) and the $3 billion or so a year saved could be put towards pahlit training. :hmm:

QFinsider
20th Jan 2006, 20:42
The dogs however make an interesting sight as you stroll down the back 9 on the world standard course, right next to the 50metre olympic pool and water fun park...Mind you the view from the bar at the 19th hole is amazing...A sight to behold is "the creek"...Preferably from the flight levels:E

Another one of those amazing communities one visits in their Northern Tour:oh:

PPRuNeUser0182
21st Jan 2006, 00:35
I get the feeling that you may not have had the honor of being (over) exposed to this (Sad sad) situation.
I could be wrong, I often am, and no malice intended to you by this post.

:oh: You might just be incorrect on this occasion aswell. But that's ok!;)

Charlie.

bushy
21st Jan 2006, 01:23
Do you really think logic, economics, or common sense could possibly have anything to do with this???
It's all to do with empire building, and setting up disguiesed aviation monopolies so the fat cats in the cities can sell some new aeroplanes. And the military and customs people can sit "fat dumb and happy "in their camps near our capital cities.
Let's face it, our government has built lot's of little towns in remote areas, most with about 50 or 100 people and no industry. So people live on "sit down money" and there is a requirement for the rest of us to have a permit to go there.

maxgrad
21st Jan 2006, 02:50
Obviously a topic that is close to the heart Bushy.
A greater percentage of these people want to be right where they are, in the communities on "their" own land and wait for the money to come to them.

Many will work their bums off to earn a crust but there are a great many that choose to wait for the "sit down money". Their choice. This goes way off the original thread so I will scream to a halt there. Suffice to say there are many people who have generated aviation based work and will continue to do so until they are no longer there or we run out of parluts drivan dem modaplanes aye!

Take the opportunity for work while it is there, black, green, white, purple.who cares. We are a service industry. As long as they can pay, we fly...

Communities can both make and break a pilot. Make them good and get a bit of worldly experience or scare the living bethingy out of them.

Make every flight a test/training flight, even if it is just HOO to KKG and back.

The Voice
21st Jan 2006, 20:31
Couldn't agree with Max more! Those communities can depend on the pilot in times of crisis, like when the place is in flood and the only way anywhere is by air!

Then there is the well trotted out story of a pilot who was asked to fly from Roper River to Nkgurr (cripes, I've forgotten how to spell the places - let alone the ICAO codes .. RRB _ NGU) across the flooded river all for a packet of blue. Winfield blue to you and me!!

These communities may not have every amenity, but they can certainly be character building and create a lifetime of memories. Up to you whether you make them good or bad.

tinpis
21st Jan 2006, 21:11
On one of these communties a famous actor once abandoned his Toyota 4WD.
He was a little say...tired and emotional at his home coming.
A resourseful AiR Med pahlit asked him if he could have it and so it was given to him.
While on clinics the resourseful pahlit dismantled the Toyota 4WD and tranported bit by bit to his home base in a Nomad24.
He reassembled it and sold it for a tidy sum.

rmcdonal
22nd Jan 2006, 01:07
On one of these communties a famous actor once abandoned his Toyota 4WD.
He was a little say...tired and emotional at his home coming.
A resourseful AiR Med pahlit asked him if he could have it and so it was given to him.
While on clinics the resourseful pahlit dismantled the Toyota 4WD and tranported bit by bit to his home base in a Nomad24.
He reassembled it and sold it for a tidy sum.

Something to do on your days off. :E :ok:

The Voice
22nd Jan 2006, 01:10
yeehah .. pick the actor .. um David somebody or other from over MGD way? Abut as traditional as you can get .... when he wants to be :hmm:

the wizard of auz
22nd Jan 2006, 01:32
Would have been interesting to watch them load the cab and chassis rails into the aircraft. :eek:

tinpis
22nd Jan 2006, 02:33
HJ75 shorty pig rooter wiz... chopped up and rebuilt .
And it wernt me !

Voice not sayin :D

Captain Sand Dune
22nd Jan 2006, 03:12
Dunno WTF this thread has to do with the military, but you've done it again Bushy!
So....what course were you scrubbed off?:E

bushy
22nd Jan 2006, 07:11
Captain,
You are obviously so thoughtful, and polite I thought I had better reply.
I was not "scrubbed off" any military course.
Why do you think those clever people in Canberra would allocate huge amounts of money to build and maintain communities in the middle of nowhere? Like about twenty five million for fifty people. And some hunting lodges which are empty most of the time. And lots of "sit down money" and maintenance costs, and their own airline to service it. Paid for by taxpayers.

One reason is , so the country is not empty, in which case the military, or customs or someone would have to keep an eye on it to see if anyone else was there.
Our northern neighbours manage to land on our coast, un detected fairly often. Meanwhile the Orions are in Adelaide, protecting us from those pesky antarctic penguins.
The military bases, like the CASA offices are near the CASINOS.
And is there something secret that the military do not want us to see out there, so only those with permits can go there.? Or do we really have apartied in this country?

tinpis
22nd Jan 2006, 07:35
Bushy havent the Arnhem land mob applied for extra extra extra funding for fishi.......er....patrol dinghys so they can properly contain the threat from Indonesian fishos?
They are doing it now unpaid apparently...... a damn scandal :hmm:

maxgrad
22nd Jan 2006, 07:43
As previously stated the reason they are out there because it is "their" land. THEY CHOOSE TO BE THERE!
Why does government spend megabucks?...Speak to the bleeding blo0dy hearts on that one.

Government has generated an industry of many jobs/layers around the community situation due to bleeding hearts and the need to be seen to be doing something, anything.

Bushy, there is no big conspiricy theory here, it is blatant use and missuse of Australian funds in many ways.

We fly to these places because some twit (read paying passenger/patient etc) has payed money to do so. (Yes half the time it falls on the tax payer)
Fly the job, Get income for the company and in the process increase your logbook hours and hopefully improve your flying with each entry.

My beer is getting warm now!

bushy
22nd Jan 2006, 07:44
Captain,
You are obviously so thoughtful, and polite I thought I had better reply.
I was not "scrubbed off" any military course.
Why do you think those clever people in Canberra would allocate huge amounts of money to build and maintain communities in the middle of nowhere? Like about twenty five million for fifty people. And some hunting lodges which are empty most of the time. And lots of "sit down money" and maintenance costs, and their own airline to service it. Paid for by taxpayers.

One reason is , so the country is not empty, in which case the military, or customs or someone would have to keep an eye on it to see if anyone else was there.
Our northern neighbours manage to land on our coast, un detected fairly often. Meanwhile the Orions are in Adelaide, protecting us from those pesky antarctic penguins.
And is there something secret that the military do not want us to see out there, so only those with permits can go there.? Or do we really have apartied in this country?

Captain Sand Dune
23rd Jan 2006, 02:07
Well since I’m at home trying to burn all that paid leave we get, why not……….

1. And some hunting lodges which are empty most of the time. Show me where those “hunting lodges” are mate!! Sounds like somewhere else I can spend more of that "sit down money" while taking all that paid leave I’ve got!! :p

2. Meanwhile the Orions are in Adelaide, protecting us from those pesky antarctic penguins.
Please remember that with the exception of Tindal, Curtin and Scherger, all RAAF bases have been pretty much where there they are since about WW2. The casinos came a LONG time afterwards. However, why do you think Tindal, Curtin and Scherger where created?
The CASA offices? Well you may have a point there. As you, I’m not a big fan myself.

3. And is there something secret that the military do not want us to see out there, so only those with permits can go there.? Well, that’d be telling, wouldn’t it?:E

Sorry about the closing cheap shot on my last post, however I am quite amazed at the vitriol you direct at the military at every opportunity, even one as remotely related as this topic:rolleyes:
You claim to have never been in the ADF. OK, I'll take your word for that. So why keep slinging sh!t at those who are paid to defend you? We have a job to do to.

Have a good one:ok:

maxgrad
23rd Jan 2006, 02:30
Hey Captain,
Re Tindal....do they all have a BBQ from about 1300 on each Friday?:E

Back on topic...cause it certainly makes it easier to get out to HOO and the like:D

tinpis
23rd Jan 2006, 02:44
:hmm: .....a Casino in Palmerston right next door to Robertson Barracks....big savings on the drunk bus from Mindil....(tin get a medal for this)

rmcdonal
23rd Jan 2006, 03:10
How about we just put a Casino at HOO? Solves every ones problem. Then they can build a base out there (solves the internal security issue), the locals could have somthing to waste there sitdown money on, da pylot would have somwhere to go on his days of (when he isn't pulling apart his car and mailing it home) and It would create jobs for the locals (local indusrtry). And we would all get a heap more charters to HOO. WIN-WINm
:ok: :ok:

:E :E

maxgrad
23rd Jan 2006, 04:21
Instead of "Two - up" Have Throw up.Dog fights would also work well.
Yes...I know where the exit is.....

Woomera
23rd Jan 2006, 17:40
This thread has run it's course.:hmm:

*Click*

Woomera (Eastern States)