PDA

View Full Version : Lightning XM192

Pontius Navigator
14th Jan 2006, 09:20
For those that care, Lightning XM192 is being set up at the Tattershall museum - Thorpe Camp - near Coningsby. Bit sad at the moment without wings or fin but the fuselage looks in very good nick for a 40 years plus airframe.

I think the camp is also home to the RAF escaping society.

Last time I was there I was amazed at the model of the underground V2 factory. I saw the film and thought it was science fiction :)

green granite
14th Jan 2006, 09:55
link to thorpe, click on recent additions for more info
http://www.thorpecamp.org.uk/

Yellow Sun
14th Jan 2006, 14:17
"Green Granite"

I think that there is a"Red Snow"around, I wonder if "Orange Herald " will be joining us?

Yellow Sun

diginagain
14th Jan 2006, 14:34
I think the camp is also home to the RAF escaping society.

Quite popular right now, I believe.

Red Snow
14th Jan 2006, 15:00
... or Blue Danube and Violet Club

green granite
14th Jan 2006, 15:43
Yellow sun & all other colours
Greetings to you all
Perhaps we should form an "explosive" splinter group:hmm:
Then we could grapple with the problems:ouch:

Yellow Sun
14th Jan 2006, 17:32
Perhaps we should form an "explosive" splinter group

Led by a man with a Red Beard and Antler?:D

YS

Smoketoomuch
14th Jan 2006, 17:45
"Perhaps we should form an "explosive" splinter group"

You should all get together. It would be a blast.

Violet Club
14th Jan 2006, 18:09
Omg!

Beadwindow

Vc

Chinny Crewman
14th Jan 2006, 20:30
What a marvelous thread, happened upon it out of curiosity and the first couple of posts seemed quite ordinary however am now totally lost and confused with all these colours and escape clubs?
Do you all work at JHC by chance???

diginagain
14th Jan 2006, 20:47
however am now totally lost and confused with all these colours and escape clubs?

Should've tried harder at school.

:E

green granite
14th Jan 2006, 21:12
Led by a man with a Red Beard and Antler?:D
YS

And being chased by a buffalo of course :E

green granite
14th Jan 2006, 21:18
Do you all work at JHC by chance???

No Im ex H eng; did a lot of trials work on we177

Try google for confusion take 3 times a day with food :)

Green Flash
14th Jan 2006, 21:42
Orange Harvest, anyone?;) I know, it didn't go bang, just keeping the colour theme going.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Jan 2006, 00:15
Brown Gusset

Kluseau
15th Jan 2006, 11:21
Speaking of Lightnings, does anyone know te intended fate of the aircraft that has spent a number of years on a plinth outside a factory on the South Gyle industrial estate in west Edinburgh?

Over the past few months the factory has been demolished, leaving the now very forlorn looking aircraft still sitting there: I hope not overlooked by the owners/ex owners of the site or preservation interests. I'd hate it to suffer the same fate as the aircraft that sat aongside the A1 at Balderton near Newark for years (and maybe still does) in a very undigfnified state.

diginagain
15th Jan 2006, 12:19
outside a factory on the South Gyle industrial estate in west Edinburgh

Sounds rather like the Ferranti site. I wonder what could be done? Does anyone have a line to the Museum of Flight at East Fortune?

allan907
17th Jan 2006, 11:02
Perhaps a Red Steer to the Green Satin perhaps??

Data-Lynx
17th Jan 2006, 14:14
You could always try these colour variations (http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/colour.htm) although Orange Harvest seemed a bit modern for a Frightning.

GeeRam
17th Jan 2006, 15:26
Does anyone have a line to the Museum of Flight at East Fortune?

Don't think they would want another one.......especially as it's 'only' an ex-RSAF F.53

East Fortune are fortunate in having one of the few remaining complete examples of an F.2A.

Pontius Navigator
17th Jan 2006, 16:22
I feel like a little game with my Orange Putter.

safetypee
17th Jan 2006, 18:02
Beware of the Pink Poodle, a so called weapon of government and of debatable use in the Middle East.
A possible ‘bunkum buster’.
‘XM192’, I flew that in July 66 as a very inexperienced Ltg stude, would love to see it again when complete.

lightningmate
17th Jan 2006, 19:56
Likewise had the pleasure of flying '192' about the same time; albeit becoming somewhat 'aroused' when the starboard leg failed to come down. I flew past the Tower thinking 'Oh Gawd!' - there was a rumble and down it came. I guess I should have expected the experience since Paul Hobley had the same problem previously with 192 and spent about 20 mins doing various aircraft gymnastics to get the bl**dy thing to come down. Yours truly got the jet after a bit of 'ground tested found satisfactory'. I really thought I was about to do a Geoff Fish!

lm

Conan the Librarian
17th Jan 2006, 22:43
This is really sad, I know, but.... When I was about three and a bit feet shorter, my first Airfix kit was a Lightning and memory says XM192 or possibly XM172. If it turns out to be something in the XS range, please disregard this post and eat the computer.

Conan

Archimedes
17th Jan 2006, 23:42
Conan - even more sadly, I know the answer - which is that the Airfix F1 kit was of XM192 :8

Conan the Librarian
17th Jan 2006, 23:57
Archimedes, thank you for highlighting my mispent youth. I will sleep tonight. That is, providing that nurse brings my medication...

Conan

Tim McLelland
27th Jan 2006, 23:30
Chinney, pay no heed to these cheeky chaps - the obscure names are mostly warhead and bomb designs, although I see we drifted-off into even more exotic nomenclature as we progressed!

Conan, you're quite right, the afore-mentioned Lightning was indeed famous in enthusiast circles as being the original "Airfix kit" on which the company based their model and markings. The kit is still occasionally availble, thinly disguised as an F3, but boy does it show it's age. Thankfully, Airfix more recently produced a truly outstanding Lightning kit in the larger 48th scale.

Delightful though it may be that the extremely rare Lightning F1A was saved from the Hemswell disaster, I was horrified that the Canberra T19 was simply cut-up on site. It was the only Mk.19 to ever be painted in camouflage - what a disgrace that it was destroyed.

bin boy
28th Jan 2006, 18:34
hi there all
i am currently restoring xm192 at tattershall thorpe and i am trying to get in contact with anyone who had anything to do with the aircraft either ground crew or pilots
considering the aircraft hasnt flown for 30 years the aircraft is in good condition and within the year i will hopefully be able to apply power to certain areas.i have nearly finished restoring most of the instrument panels to serviceable condition whch i will eeventually refit.
i have the canopy operated by the hydraulic hand pump so things are pretty good so far .
so if anyone has any pictures or log book entries which i could get copied for display with the aircraft it would be great
please contact me at [email protected] if possible
if anyone has any questions regarding 192 i would be more than happy to answer

darren

SirToppamHat
28th Jan 2006, 19:14
Tim

Delightful though it may be that the extremely rare Lightning F1A was saved from the Hemswell disaster

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but what do you mean? I live near to Hemswell and have noticed that many of the airframes on display there have vanished recently - I thought they may have gone into storage - have they suffered a more terminal fate?

This is the Museum Web Site:

Hemswell Museum (http://website.lineone.net/~bcam/)

STH

Edited to add that further research of the Woodall Spa Museum Site reveals that the Hemswell Museum has now closed down. Sad that the Canberra (and presumably most of the other exhibits) was destroyed.

Tim McLelland
28th Jan 2006, 19:42
Yes indeed, the Hemswell collection just suddenly closed a few weeks back - no warning, no attempt to save the aircraft. It was a miracle that the Lightning survived, but a disgrace that the Canberra didn't. The Hemswell museum was never exactly a huge success, partly because few people even knew it was there, and those that did, found that it was closed virtually all of the time. I guess we should sympathise if they couldn't manage to keep the museum running, but why didn't they at least try and save the aircraft?
Poor old Hemswell is now nothing more than a site for crappy flea market stalls - somehow, Richard Todd walking down that entrance road wouldn't look quite so convincing if they tried re-shooting the Dambusters movie there again (yes it was Hemswell they filmed the end scene at, not Scampton):)

SirToppamHat
28th Jan 2006, 19:54
I agree about the Station, but I suspect the Officers' Mess is in better condition than it ever was before (believe the Dambusters Movie also used that as a set). The Air Commodore's (Air Cdre Lancaster Force?) House recently came up for sale for a cool £550K. I wonder what that was originally sold-off for?

STH

STANDTO
29th Jan 2006, 19:16
Hemswell Court looks nice. I was meant to be going to a wedding there in March but it is a logistical nightmare trying to have a short weekend in Lincolnshire from Fraggle Rock

Pontius Navigator
10th Feb 2006, 14:52
Tail and wings were almost glued back on today.

It will look like a jet tomorrow.

Green Meat
10th Feb 2006, 15:43
The Hemswell collection gone? Spent a very happy afternoon there a few years ago. Yet another shame.

Incidentally I thought I'd just pop my head up to see if I can join the 'colours club' even though my moniker came from an apocryphal story!