PDA

View Full Version : Working Abroad in ATC

HeathrowDictator
13th Jan 2006, 21:53
Can anyone offer some advice about how easy it is for a UK ATC Licence holder to get a job outside the UK? Are our licences valid and just require a short conversion course? Do we have to do the full course again for some countries but not others? In particular, if anyone has any information on Spanish regulations, I'd be very grateful if you could email me.

It is at the moment only a curiosity thing - it's something I would love to do someday, but how soon depends on a number of domestic factors.

Cheers,

HD

PPRuNe Radar
13th Jan 2006, 22:41
If you have a Spanish university degree and are a fluent speaker, you are in with a chance.

Otherwise, not at the moment. There is an ex NATS controller working for AENA in Madrid who is fluent Spanish speaking, has a Spanish wife, and a UK ATCO licence, but won't be looked at for a controllers job because of the education requirement (the Spanish degree). So he works in an office.

HeathrowDictator
13th Jan 2006, 22:45
Thanks Radar - do you know if it is a specific level of degree they look for?

I am looking now, but if anyone knows of any home study courses that would suffice then I'd certainly be interested.

PPRuNe Radar
13th Jan 2006, 23:08
Looking at the AENA website and with my smattering of Spanish (so please check officially if you can) -
You must possess a university degree in engineering, law, or architectural subjects or posses a licensed equivalent qualification in those areas, or have completed the first complete cycle (year ?) of an advanced University course (Postgrad maybe) with no subject specified.
For both Spanish and foreign qualifications, the qualification must be one recognised and accredited by the Spanish Ministry for Education, Culture and Sport as applicable to employment as an ATCO.
Good luck !!!!

Funk
14th Jan 2006, 05:18
If you know someone who has/had an area licence you can come to the sandpit yesterday ;)

Spuds McKenzie
14th Jan 2006, 12:32
I didn't know that you have to be a rocket scientist to become an ATCO in Spain... :uhoh:

Spitoon
15th Jan 2006, 14:21
I thought ESARR 5 was supposed to harmonise licensing requirements!!!

bids
15th Jan 2006, 14:55
never mind going abroad....how do those that quialified outside the uk come back!

ASD
15th Jan 2006, 15:22
Was also possibly hoping to move to Spain in a few years time...

heard those guys get paid really well!

Busy learning my spanish, got an EU passport and a 3 year I.T. Diploma (and of course my TWR/APP Radar) but alas it doesnt look like it will happen.

I also heard they only take on Spanish citizens (EU dont count)???

Maybe rules will change in a few years:{

aaesteve
16th Jan 2006, 21:42
Hi HeathrowDictator and ASD!

I'm a student in Senasa, Aena's ATCO school.

The requirements are:

1) Fluent spanish and english

2) A 3-year university career (what you would call a Bachelor, I guess) or the first 3 years of a 4/5-year career. In both cases your degree must be recognised by the Ministry of Education. Any career would do. The degrees in my class are pretty assorted, ranging from aeronautical engineer to psychology or bussines and finance.

If you meet these requirements you can try the selection process. The amount of candidates (close to 8000 in 2004) make it very difficult to succeed, considering there were only 130 places offered last time.

But, hey! it's not impossible! Maybe in a few years time you can defreeze your ass here in sunny Spain!!

BTW, the selection process is open for all EU nationals and a new one is due in a few months.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

ASD
17th Jan 2006, 12:44
Hi there

Thx for the reply

If you meet these requirements you can try the selection process. The amount of candidates (close to 8000 in 2004) make it very difficult to succeed, considering there were only 130 places offered last time.

Surely there are different requirements for those already qualified and have experience as ATC? Would we still have to go through the same selection process with those who have never been an ATC before?

Maybe in a few years time you can defreeze your ass here in sunny Spain!!

I am from sunny South Africa :E

aaesteve
17th Jan 2006, 21:18
Hi ASD,

I'm afraid right now there's no other way to get in.

Maybe in the future they will allocate some places for qualified ATCO and prepare an specific selection process and training, but I guess the union (very powerful here in Spain) wouldn't be too happy about it.

Cheers and enjoy your summer!!