PDA

View Full Version : AMARC/Davis Monthan Contact

leshodge
13th Jan 2006, 13:56
In line with the 'who you know' tag, i am making a polite request to people for any potential contacts via pm at DM AFB in Arizona.

I am flying out to research storage, maintenance and regeneration of aircraft for a comparitive report i am compiling for internal distribution.

One of the perks is getting to go out to Tucson, and having engrossed myself in lonely planet literature in my spare time, i have a grasp of the local offerings for my spare time.

My request, however is to liven my visit up, and as i am travelling on a military visit 'in uniform', does anyone know of any contacts at DM of the 355th Wing/12 Air Force who could show me round some hardware whilst im there. Also, is there any chance of a seat on one of the training flights? or would AFHQ have to authorise separately.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies, i hope you can help.

Lee

Chuckle_Brother
13th Jan 2006, 14:19
Lee,

Davis Monthan is a cracking base, and the people will no doubt show you round after having met you in the bar. I guess your staying in the Inn? Im sure you'll enjoy the AMARC, and get some awesome pictures.

Check your PMs

CB

Navy_Adversary
13th Jan 2006, 14:29
Lee
Pima Air Museum is a must visit, only a couple of miles from DM.
In the past you could charter a Cessna from Tucson Airport and overfly the boneyard, since 911 I think it is more difficult.
Early on a Sunday is a good time, the circuit will be very quiet and not too hot, hence bumpy.

CBA_caption
13th Jan 2006, 16:40
Getting onto a "tour" when you're there is not difficult. They did do a minibus complete with "this was Tom Cruises' jet in top gun" blah.

Second the Pima Air museum, SR 71 and all sorts of stuff. Also is a Balistic missile silo museum just south of the city. I19 rings a bell.

CBA

adr
13th Jan 2006, 17:41
Balistic missile silo museum just south of the city. I19 rings a bell.
1580 W. Duval Mine Road, Sahuarita.

I did that visit a couple of years ago; the surface museum was being redeveloped, and hence closed, but the bunker tour was worth the drive, especially for the simulated launch from the control room. If you can get in on the extended tour (first Saturday of each month), even better. Show your 1250 and get a dollar off the admission price (or $2 off the extended tour).

adr

leshodge
13th Jan 2006, 18:33
Many thanks for the guidance thus far, i have booked a hire car online so hope to do the missile silo visit. And i have access to the AMARC personally anyhow due to the nature of the visit, so i amagine, better access than a minibus. But please keep the advice coming, its much appreciated.

Lee

leshodge
23rd Jan 2006, 12:04
Im hoping to get to have a look see round an A10 whilst im there, if anyone knows of anyone out there, id be most appreciative of PMs with names. Equally, does anyone know of any good local drinking haunts in downtown tucson? Thanks in advance.

LH

Jackonicko
23rd Jan 2006, 13:32
The Sonora Desert Museum is well worth a visit - it's a zoo, really. Hope you get to go when the elderly female volunteer is in the hummingbird part - she'll probably give you great advice on what to plant to attract them to your own garden, and not understand at all the concept that the UK might be a tad cold for hummingbirds!

It's also worth a drive up into the hills just for the view!

Red Snow
23rd Jan 2006, 15:25
.. and don't miss San Xavier mission. Somewhat ambitiously called the 'Taj Mahal of the Desert' but well worth a trip anyway. Just south of the city (on the way to the Titan silo).

If yoiu're into astronomy at all then Kitt Peak observatory (http://www.noao.edu/outreach/kpoutreach.html) is worth a visit. About an hour's drive southwest of town.

DaveW
23rd Jan 2006, 16:48
Just don't bother slogging out to Biosphere II (http://www.bio2.com/). I'm sure you've seen a greenhouse before, and if you haven't, then the Eden Project is closer and better. As an experiment it (B2) failed anyway, since the concrete floor hadn't had enough time to cure before they started and completely screwed up the supposedly ecologically representative environment :rolleyes:

Agree with all other recommendations, though - especially the sword swallowing huummingbird chicks in their thimble sized nests, fed by adults teleporting from flower to beak. Shows up Harriers and helicopters, that's for sure. Also there are Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner in adjoining enclosures. I never did find the ACME concession stand, though.

At the Titan Missile Museum, once you come out of the final blast doors, note the sign warning of sunbathing rattlesnakes. Just the sort of thing to make your day if the Cold War had ever hotted up, and you had just emerged blinking into the post-nuclear landscape after your 3 months on recycled water and rubber rations. :uhoh: