Condition?...
From What I can see Is that it restricts your Lic To
"as or With Co-pilot"
Any Info or experiences would be great
Thxs

Tommy Tipee
23rd Jan 2006, 09:18
I was diagnosed with LBBB in Dec 97, and my Class 1 Medical was suspended
by the CAA. Following a consultation with a CAA cardiologist, I was required to undergo extensive cardiac examination (including an Angiogram and an Electrophysiological Study). This all took about 3 months by the time the data had been collected and submitted to the CAA. Eventually the CAA medical panel reinststed my Class 1 with an OML (as or with qualified co-pilot) restriction, and I was required to undergo a 6 monthly 24 hour Holter (ECG) check and exercise ECG to keep the situation under review.
After 2 years, this was changed to an annual review, and I continue to fly as I approach my 60th birthday.
Throughout the whole process I found the CAA medical department very helpful and supportive in helping me to continue my flying career.

uaenewf
26th Jan 2006, 10:23
Thanks for the Reply...
Did you ever get your Lic returned to an unrestricted Med?
And did anyone inform you on what kind of "healthly" lifestyle that
you should follow....
They say that my condition is an execrise induced LBBB..
So I try to keep HBPM around 130 or so when I go to Gym...
Thanks

Tommy Tipee
27th Jan 2006, 11:23
As the condition is permanent, I was told that the restriction on my Class 1 is also permanent, but this isn't a problem if you only fly multi-crew equipment.
As for lifestyle, I was only advised to do the normal commonsense stuff (i.e. Don't smoke, Drink with moderation, Eat sensibly and don't get overweight, and Exercise regularly).
As there are no physical symptoms, it dosen't really affect anything I do, and I have never been advised to restrict my pulse rate, which the CAA push up to 190 every year on the treadmill with no apparent ill effects!
Interestingly, you cannot hold a Heavy Goods Driving Licence if you have a Bundle Branch Block condition, but you can still fly an airliner.

uaenewf
28th Jan 2006, 09:34
Thanks Again Tommy Tipee
I guess it's one of those things that we have to live with & be thankful
that we can still work !..
Guess it does not make you very "market-able" if looking to move onto
"greener" pastures!
When you exercise do you wear a heart Monitor?
They advised me to do that & when I do exercise & monitor my Heart Rate...Its quite "weird"...It will be around 110 Bpm till around 7 mins into
the exercise then Drop to about 50 Bpm ...Then when I "slow Down" the heart rate imediatelly picks back up...this Miss-fire goes on for about 2 mins then...it will remain Steady...It really confuses me...?
Have you ever come accross any good references of LBBB?
All the Best

Tommy Tipee
3rd Feb 2006, 08:14
My LBBB does not present any symptoms, so when I exercise, my heart rate increases normally and then drops when I stop. Consequently, I have never been advised to wear a monitor during exercise and only do so during my annual exercise ECG under the supervision of the CAA medics.
What are the physical effects when your heart rate suddenly cuts back to 50? Can you continue the exercise, or are you forced to slow down because your heart cannot supply enough oxygenated blood to sustain the effort?

uaenewf
4th Feb 2006, 14:04
Hi again Tommy
I don't feel a thing...its weird I look at the Heart monitor & it
Kinda "freaks" you out....Sometimes I will slow down the exercise then
the rate will jump back up to i.e 120...Then sometimes I continue the
exercise & it will automatically return to the orginal Beats (120 or so)
I have asked the Doc & they suggest to slow down till it comes back up again...Its very frustrating..especially when you feel fine...
They only orginally picked this up during a time I was "sick" food poison
to be exact & it took me a long time to recover (tied & stuff) then they
did a buch of tests (ecg) & they found the BBB...
Thanks Again Keep well