PDA

View Full Version : Chopper CPL's

disco_air
12th Jan 2006, 13:11
Just wondering the best way to learn/study/pass Helicopter CPL subjects?

Any info appreciated.

...Disco

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
14th Jan 2006, 00:41
AFT in my opinion are the best, did CPL and ATPL subjects with them, no problems, even for a dumb ass like me.

disco_air
14th Jan 2006, 15:18
Thanks for that Lefthanded...

I googled it but got nothing but dead links. Do you have a link?

...Disco

RWJackOfAllTrades
22nd Jan 2006, 14:11
Mate - try http://www.aft.com.au/afthome.htm for AFT for your CPL and ATPL theory.

Recommend if you have no aviation background, then do the course full-time if possible....it's by far the BEST way to complete your theory. Then, it comes time to select a flying school - which really does make a difference to prospective employers when you are out looking for your first start. If you can get to Melbourne or Coolangatta, I would strongly recommend Professional Helicopter Services (PHS). Their reputation in the industry is hard to beat and they have been around for a long time - do yourself a favour and at least drop in for a chat with them...it will pay handsome dividends in the end as you learn from the best....last bit a personal opinion, but most will agree. Good luck!

captwawa
22nd Jan 2006, 15:41
any one know the approx costin to convert from cpl/atpl fixed wing to rot wing cpl. also wot hour requirements r

Unhinged
22nd Jan 2006, 21:16
Straight from CAR 5.127

Commercial (helicopter) pilot: aeronautical experience required
(1) For the purposes of paragraph 5.120 (1) (f), a person’s aeronautical
experience must consist of:
(a) if the person holds a commercial pilot (aeroplane) licence or a
commercial pilot (gyroplane) licence:
(i) at least 70 hours of flight time in a helicopter; or
(ii) if the person undertook a special training course and
completed the final 30 hours of the course within a period
of 3 consecutive calendar months—at least 60 hours of
flight time in a helicopter

Costs depend on a bunch of obvious variables, of course.

Did mine in 65 hours and was happy about it at the time - Now I wish I'd taken longer. You still don't know which way is up in a helicopter after such a limited time, and absolutely no-one will give you a job ! Many hours later, life is good :-))