PDA

View Full Version : Racism bill and expats???

Elroy Jettson
12th Jan 2006, 12:16
Dont shoot the messenger...

HONG KONG : The Hong Kong government has proposed an "anti-racism" bill that would make it harder for companies here to offer generous packages of perks to foreign employees, a press report says.

The South China Morning Post said that the measure, already in an "advanced stage of drafting," would require firms to prove that employees had expertise not easily available already from locals in the Chinese territory.

Foreign-born permanent residents would not be eligible, the paper said, citing Deputy Secretary for Home Affairs Stephen Fisher.

Harry O'Neill, managing director of headhunting firm Whitney Group, told the newspaper that the move would make Hong Kong a less attractive place to do business.

He said terms for expatriate employees -- which can include housing, education and travel allowances -- did not discriminate on the basis of race.

The bill is due to be presented to the Legislative Council in the next two months.

- AFP/ir

From http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/187652/1/.html

:sad:

404 Titan
13th Jan 2006, 02:51
Elroy Jettson

The South China Morning Post said that the measure, already in an "advanced stage of drafting," would require firms to prove that employees had expertise not easily available already from locals in the Chinese territory.

I don't see pilots falling out of the trees here in Hong Kong. Most Expats that work here are employed because there aren't any suitable locals to do the job. That is the reality of the place. If it wasn't for the large expat community here in finance, education, engineering, and aviation to mention just a few, the place would fall apart.

boocs
13th Jan 2006, 04:13
I find it somewhat ironic that they are establishing an "Anti-Racism" bill to keep out foreigners......

Who are the racists now?

:hmm:

christep
13th Jan 2006, 08:21
Er, they are not. Many (perhaps even most) foreigners in Hong Kong these days are employed on terms that are essentially the same as a local would be to do the same job. The bill, as some have interpreted the draft, would simply require companies to show that they only paid the rate/package required to get a suitably qualified person for the role, and that the package was not related to race.

In fact I have never seen any cases of racially-based packages. What I have seen are cases of discrimination based on previous place of residence and on marital status/children. I have never been able to understand the rationale that says that it must be worth paying someone more just because they have kids, but many expat packages are structured that way.

Dan Winterland
13th Jan 2006, 08:42
Since 2002, an expat can only be employed in Hong Kong if it can be shown there is no Hong Kong national who can fill the post. This has been the case for every pilot employed since then and is the reason why spouses of pilots are no longer allowed to be employed in HK unless they can find someone to sponsor them under the same terms. So there should be no changes in the terms and conditions under which Pilots are employed. Our employers may have different ideas though!

One thing that has changed is that people employed under expat terms are no longer allowed to get permanent HK ID cards after 7 years.

mpflis
13th Jan 2006, 16:21
how do you think this could affect new joiners to Cathay down the line. If you are hired on under one set of rules and they change, are you grandfathered in? or could they require Cathay to take away the housing, education, etc allowances? Obviously without housing, and other possible allowances, it would make it impossible to afford even the basic requirements of life especially without the possiblity of a working spouse.

404 Titan
13th Jan 2006, 22:13
As has been said nothing has changed. These rules have been here for some time. If CX or any other employer can’t justify the reason why they can’t employ a local to do the job then they can’t employ an expat. It is as simple as that.

Personally I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. While an employer can justify why they have to employ an expat over a local, and CX certainly can, nothing has changed. We all know that there is a huge pilot shortage in this part of the world. CX knows this too and while they may try and have a go at our conditions, if they push too hard there expansion plans will be out the window as no one will want to come here if the package isn’t competitive.