PDA

View Full Version : Initial Navy Interview....

Lord Flash-Hart
11th Jan 2006, 19:03
Hi,

I have my initial Navy interview at the AFCO in the morning, just wondered if it is the same as the RAF one? The Navy is all new to me so i have been revising the ships, carriers, aircraft and the training processes. is this sufficient for the initial interview? I am applying for pilot.

Cheers

Rich.

cobaltfrog
11th Jan 2006, 19:13
Flash

Chill and be yourself. Makesure you dress smartly and be confident in the interview. Although you can know everything about what the Navy does and which Sqns do what, they are looking ultimately for what YOU are like.

Don't be afraid to pause to consider a question and don't be afraid to ask for it to be repeated if necessary. If you don't know the answer say so.

Hot topics for the RN:

CVF (hopefully you will know what this means!) (The New Carriers)
Astute Class Subs
SCMR (Maritime Lynx potential replacement from Augusta Westland)
BRH (Land variant of the above for 847 NAS possibly)
JSF (Harrier replacement for the RN and RAF)

1st Sea Lord to change in a few months to Admiral Sir Jonathon Band
2nd Sea Lord has changed to Vice Admiral Adrian Johns
CinC Fleet has changed to Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent

There is a starter for ten!

Good luck

Lord Flash-Hart
11th Jan 2006, 19:22
excellent cheers for that mate.

rich.

scottishbeefer
12th Jan 2006, 09:40
Concur with CF, however...

Don't worry too much about the new a/c at this stage (your Careers officer will know/care little to FA about them)

Remember that all the armed forces have moved towards much more jointery with expeditionary warfare the order of the day. The internet is the best source for this info. It's the big handful stuff the Careers people are interested in at this stage.

Why do you want to join the Roger Nigel rather than say the RAF/Army?

Bon chance!

SB

Lord Flash-Hart
17th Jan 2006, 21:06
Haha Roger Nigel, never heard that one.

I applied for the RAF July last year and went for selection before xmas. I was turned down for pilot and encouraged to apply again next year. I i was also offered NCO aircrew which i turned down as i want to have a go at fulfilling my ambition before i look at other careers.
I have decided to apply for the navy as i had never previously considered it as a flying career (too focussed on the RAF). But after the research i have done and speaking to a couple of RN pilots, it seems like a fantastic career. My initial interview went fine he said my knowledge of the Navy was good, i just need to do a little more in depth reading about boats!!

I will be posting some questions shortly as i prepare for the AIB so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.

Bigtop
17th Jan 2006, 21:15
LFH,

CF's advice is good and be aware the new Capt AIB is a WAFU straight from Capt Cu! So whilst your AFCO might not have a scooby about future capital programmes be certain he will.

doubledolphins
17th Jan 2006, 22:47
Flash. I presume by "boats" you mean submarines. Those grey things that stay on the surface are called "Ships" That is what the "S" in "HMS" stands for. Best of luck.

Lord Flash-Hart
18th Jan 2006, 10:35
Hahaha i am sure there are plenty of people that would apply for a Royal Navy career and call the ships "boats", but im not one of them. (hence the exclamation marks!) but thanks for the advice.

The reason i said it like that was because the AFCO guy picked up on the fact i knew far more about RAF than the Navy and said i needed to be a little "less RAF".

Rich.