PDA

View Full Version : IR - Extention to 36 Month Time Limit

Northernflyer43
11th Jan 2006, 16:40
Hi,
Is there anyone out there who required an extention to the time limit, and, had it granted?
Regards,NF43.

RVR800
12th Jan 2006, 13:21
AOPA in Europe are working with the JAA to make the IR
more accessible. The number of PPLs getting the IR in
Europe in not sustainable and so a working party has been
set up. The rules on exams may change as a result.

In the USA GA pilots just do one multi-choice test on-line at a time
of their choosing dont they? They can then legally fly in Europe with
an N-.

Mintflavour
12th Jan 2006, 13:44
Is it just aimed at changing the regs to help PPL'ers or will it also affect the the regs of gaining ATPL (f) status. My personal feeling is that the JAA will keep the 36 month rule if you wish to gain ATPL (f) status in order not to be seen as to be reducing standards. As I said this is just my personal feeling not based on any factual evidence. This is why I have taken the plunge to do the IR now before my ATPL theory expires this june, rather than take the risk that the rules maybe changing soon.

All the best

mint

RVR800
12th Jan 2006, 13:58
Mint - wise to get it done, Northern - suppose the best way to get an extension is to ask; trouble is the CAA don't set the rules; a body that is becomeing defunct did (JAA), so its all set in stone until the next change...

When Lasors Subpart K (MPL) is introduced the requirement for the light aircraft instrument rating may change as that 'airline' licence (MPL) doesnt require an embedded light aircraft IR.. who know what they are cooking up...?

JAA Adoption of the new licence was estimated as Autumn 2006 so if things run to plan they should be printing them in 2007. (according to my source). What colour will they be?

Northernflyer43
14th Jan 2006, 18:59
Thanks for the replies.

NF43.

Jimmy The Big Greek
15th Jan 2006, 11:04
My personal opinion is that if a person does not want to fly light IR aircrafts he should be able do the IR competency check together with a typerating.

When you do a typerating your instrument skills are tested to the full. So it should not be a problem to combine the IR competency check with a typerating check.

I think this would also benefit the airlines.