PDA

View Full Version : Stray from VFR flightplan

Tordan
11th Jan 2006, 06:18
Hi guys, I´m a newbie Swedish GA pilot who has never filed a flightplan with ATC. At most I´ve called ATC in the air to make a request to remain at a certain altitude prior to entering class C airspace.
Anyway, after trying to read through AIPs and whatnot I have two questions.

1. If I file a flightplan with a number of waypoints, how much am I allowed to stray from the direct line between two waypoints? The scenario is that it´s a lot easier to navigate by for instance following a road than trying to fly a compass heading which is at best inprecise, the compass that is. Since we don´t have any sort of "Flight following" that I know of in Sweden I wan´t the safety and support given by ATC coupled with the ease of navigating by landmarks as opposed to using a compass. I´m flying ULs with no radio nav equipment.

2. If my filed flightplan enters class G at one or more stretches, will ATC "drop" me or will my flight be controlled even if I´m in uncontrolled airspace?

Hope I´m making some sense. :8

Pierre Argh
11th Jan 2006, 20:08
I'll jump in with an answer, but you must read it with caution as different rules and procedures apply in different countries... IMHO you can manoeuvre as much as you like between waypoints on a VFR FPL in unregulated airspace, there is no requirement to proceed in a series of direct lines... just make those waypoints at the time you specify (within tolerances).

Of course the problem comes if you get into difficulty and need tracing. From your airspeed it should be clear that you have not proceeded on a direct track... but call ATC if available. Tracing action will always consult your arrival and departure airfields, if ATC is not available, tell someone there your intention before departure...

SM4 Pirate
11th Jan 2006, 21:46
Suggest you use RMK field of your plan, navigating via HWY, COASTAL, RIVER etc. then everyone knows.

If you are flying without radio in OZ and in an UL you simply can't get a CLNC, so things may be different there.

In Class G you're on your own, but sometimes it is more practical to keep ident on you or give you an onwards CLNC if you are in/out/in quickly; but this would be difficlut without radio comms.

Tordan
12th Jan 2006, 10:48
Thanks guys, the RMK comment was interesting.
To further add to my second question, I file a flightplan with an altitude that starts in class C (Sweden basically only has C and G), let´s say 3000ft. After a while the "roof" of the class G airspace goes up to 9500ft. As I get closer to my destination the roof comes down again. So I start in class C, fly through class G and re-enter class C. If I understand SM4 Pirate correctly I´d get something like "You´re leaving my airspace, continue own navigation, frequency change approved". Then it´s up to me to call the next controller as I near the destination and its class C? That´s a bummer (though I can understand a number of reasons why) since one of the best things that I´ve found with flying under control of ATC is the pair of "extra eyes" that help keeping me from taking a too close look at other aircraft. :) I was hoping that I´d get this kind of service all the time when filing a flightplan, even when crossing class G airspace.
I´m flying a UL-B (the kind with stick and rudders, lol) with a radio and transponder so no problems with getting CLNC.
Cheers!

Pierre Argh
12th Jan 2006, 13:14
Service in Class G Airspace: In some countries you can get an ATS in Class G (e.g. UK) but others you've dipped out... I presume, reading between the lines, not in Sweden? Be careful about the advise anyone else posts on this Intl Forum which may not apply, and I suggest you discuss it at your flying club/school... or other suitable local forum. You are unlikely to have been the first to encounter this problem?

Tordan
12th Jan 2006, 14:02
Pierre, thanks for your advice. I doubt that the Swedish LFV (FAA equivalent) buys "but some guy at PPRUNE told me". :D so I most certainly will verify against my flying club and the regs. Time to look up the books methinks.

Bye all!