PDA

View Full Version : Light relief for the truly practical

catswhisker
10th Jan 2006, 22:36
After tipping coffee all over my old laptop and failing to revive it, got myself a replacement. Off the back of a lorry. Of remainders. In Bhundubukilamastan.

Under the pounding of my hot little fingers, almost all the letters have rubbed off the keyboard. I can only type accurately by lying on the floor and looking slantwise at the imprints of where they used to be. This is silly.

So: Anyone have any suggestions how I can replace them? (apart from: Find a dodgy lorry in central Asia with western alphabet transfers spilling out the back) They were originally some kind of white letter transfer... I can tell you confidently that Tipp-Ex doesn't work.

Oh, and yes, I know I shouldn't need letters. But here's the interesting thing: I've been a typist for 30 years. And I still don't know where the keys are.

Thanks.

CW

Conan the Librarian
10th Jan 2006, 23:12
Just another daft question, but were the first keys to wear off, by any chance, CTRL-ALT and DELETE?

suspect that it will be a return to manufacturer/agent job for the keys to be replaced. Mind you, an external keyboard works very well...

Conan

92Alpha
10th Jan 2006, 23:13
Try using tipex or one of those pens that write white and then paint over them with clear nail varnish.

stickyb
11th Jan 2006, 05:27
Have seen in some of the computer stores out here (thailand) a set of transfers for keytops that have different alphabets (eg uk+thai, uk+chinese)

Can you find any of those out your way?

Coconutty
11th Jan 2006, 09:18
How about using "Letraset" white letters and then varnishing over them ?
( I would be wary of using the clear Nail Varnish suggested by 92A - at least in public anyway ! )
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty

catswhisker
11th Jan 2006, 12:05
Don't think it had a manufacturer, Conan. Think it was a kind of virgin birth.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll try them. If nothing else, if I inhale enough while I'm at it, I won't care any more.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Jan 2006, 16:57
Er, learn to touch type, perhaps??

It'll be vastly quicker too.